The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Inactive - Can delete
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm pretty sure you all know about the RAM ProMaster, Chrysler/Fiats entry back into the full size van market and their entry into the tall van fad.

Anyways, it's FWD and has a 4cyl for a diesel so would people buy it over the 5 cylinder Ford and the 6 cylinder Benz? All these vans do have V6 gas engines. And the other vans are RWD so I'm not sure if people would want a FWD van.

Also, there is no passenger version but I'm pretty sure it's going to come.

Would anyone here buy it? I just want everyone opinions.

My opinion: it's up to the buyer which van they want depending on their needs.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I wouldn't want one personally.
I do hope that the passenger vans ride better than the Sprinter Vans do. My mother gets transported in one and she says it is very rough riding.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Was passing by the dealer earlier and got a glimpse of the promaster, and I hate it even more now. I myself wouldn't buy one, but would mostly prefer the Ford E series cargo vans, even though their outdated, their built like tanks..Maybe I like them cause we deal with them everyday or one is parked in our driveway when the truck is in for repair. Either way the Ford E series is a sweet ride!

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Was passing by the dealer earlier and got a glimpse of the promaster, and I hate it even more now. I myself wouldn't buy one, but would mostly prefer the Ford E series cargo vans, even though their outdated, their built like tanks..Maybe I like them cause we deal with them everyday or one is parked in our driveway when the truck is in for repair. Either way the Ford E series is a sweet ride!
Ford is replacing those with a Eurotype van also.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Ford is replacing those with a Eurotype van also.
Yea I know, i'm just waiting for them to come in so I can ride one of them!

·
Super Moderator
22,213 Posts

·
Minivan Beater
779 Posts
People like how smooth they are, due to the FWD and like how low the step in height is. Honestly they sound like whiners to me, I deliver parts for a living and I climb in and out of a Chevy Express box van all day, it's really not that tough, in fact we have a driver in his 70's who does it and doesn't complain, but that guy is a badass in very good shape, i'll probably be dead by his age.

Anywho, we have all Express vans at work and I prefer the V8 torque and RWD. I have yet to see a review about someone loading it to capacity and getting any decent mileage out of it. They like the FWD for the snow, but what happens when it's loaded down and it snows? I guarantee it'll get terrible traction when it's lifting the front, plus in many companies they need to carry over 5000lbs of cargo.

I'm just not a believer, if I were to get a euro-style van it'd be the Transit all the way, the 5cyl diesel model i'm sure will be much better with it's extra torque, and I bet it'll get better mileage and last longer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 cargo van at work and no one likes to drive it. Reason: P.I.T.A to get in and out of. Anything over having to fold yourself up like a lawn chair to get out of is an improvement.

·
Minivan Beater
779 Posts
The old Ram Van didn't have a lot of room, the Express I drive doesn't have a lot more room but it's fine for me and i'm 6'3¨ so for most people it should be fine, since I drive it 600-800 miles a day for 2 or 3 days a week and shorter trips the other days.

I would just prefer a Transit if I had to get a european style van (don't know enough about the Nissan NV, if it has any reliability issues and whatnot). I prefer RWD and I think it'll hold up to abuse better by people who load it down with significant weight. The Transit's 3.7 has about the same power as the V6 and its diesel has more torque, plus if it's not enough you can get the 3.5 Ecoboost and really haul.

·
Minivan Beater
779 Posts
I think Chevy will continue to sell the Express, lots of customers i'm sure who will prefer the standard American style van for its tried and true toughness and reliability. I see lots of newer ones on the road, plus haulers carrying tons of the cab/chassis cutaways for making box vans, ambulances and other stuff. I deliver to a company that builds Firetrucks and Ambulances, and they use Ford and Chevy van cabs for them, and some with 1-ton pickup cab/chassis so if all full size vans went away, they'd still use 1-ton pickup cabs for it, so I think there's still a market for the standard van, if not with individual consumer use.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
The Ford van's I tell you are pretty reliable and pretty tough...I deal with the econoline trucks everyday at work and they are built like tanks!

We no longer deal with GM for their van's anymore....

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a hobbiest and all around handiman for my family i use my grand Caravan for all kinds of things but it is a little to small and pretty, LOL I got to be real carefull when I load and unload it to keep it nice.
I would love to have the low roof shortwheel base promaster as a basic window passenger van, like the many vans were in the 80's and 90's. The short promaster has a smaller footprint then the chevy or ford and is bigger inside. The front passenger area is much more cormfatable. It gets better mileage. It has FWD. much better in the snow.
If you look at the frame it looks like its made for stow & go seats. After moveing the lawn mower lumbed and bags of mulch....up go the seats and off we go on vacation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd love the short wheel base version Promaster as a base passenger Van. I use my Caravan for lots of utility and I find it a little to small.
Lots of people seem concerned about the FWD, they do have snow and hills in Europe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I prefer RWD and I think it'll hold up to abuse better by people who load it down with significant weight.
I would prefer a RWD van with traditional style, not Euro style.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Chevy express will be gone soon, So for a "traditional" style your left with Nissan. For a work van rwd might be better. But for the home owner for home use the Promaster with fwd and low step in hieght IMHO it can't be beat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts