The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

What year do you own? (Current only please)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, how many of us have 1st Gens. What year is it, and where are you? Thought this might be fun seeing as 1st Gen. forum is usually so slow. Any stories or comments on your van are of course welcome!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
O.K. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I own a 1990 GCV LE. I received my van from my grandfather, he originally gave it to my cousins but they have no interest in obtaining their licenses, so they decided that since I have 2 kids and a 2 door Lada, I could probably get more use from it. I must admit the tranny problem was on my mind (driving a tow truck, I saw alot of caravan tranny tows). Of course, now that I have had time to research a remedy I'm a huge fan of them, especially the 1st Gens.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have an 1986 that was originally owned by Hank Williams Jr. The windows are ethched with his logo's and the wording Bocephus. It has decals that run the entire length on the sides and more decals saying Hank Willliam's enterprise. The inside door panals have his logos. I was told this Van was used to carry his equiptment on tours. It's a full panal mini van. It is driven daily. I live in northern Arkansas. I had 2 others an 85 and 86 but both were totalled. I am in the market for another 86 now.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I live in Kamloops British Columbia and I own a 1984 Caravan, I believe 1984 was the first year on the market, it was owned by no one special really, just a former neighbour with lots of kids, so I know the history of the van.
It's a 2.2 L with carburator, no computer except the module for the ignition, 5 speed manual transmission, no power options, no gadgets, just power steering and 1 rear seat.
Original color was red but since i bought the van about 3 years ago, I have done all the body work and painted metalic silver.
Still runs good, fun to drive but I also have a 1988 Voyager fully loaded and a 1989 Voyager that I converted to propane which is my current runner.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I have an 1986 that was originally owned by Hank Williams Jr. The windows are ethched with his logo's and the wording Bocephus. It has decals that run the entire length on the sides and more decals saying Hank Willliam's enterprise. The inside door panals have his logos. I was told this Van was used to carry his equiptment on tours. It's a full panal mini van. It is driven daily. I live in northern Arkansas. I had 2 others an 85 and 86 but both were totalled. I am in the market for another 86 now.
Thats an interesting bit of trivia....

Here's an article about men, and minivans that I stumbled on, with a referernce to Mr Williams Jr.

[URL="http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/052007/05272007/286993/index_html[/URL"]Manly men and the minivan paradigm[/URL]

Manly men and the minivan paradigm

May 27, 2007 12:35 am

AT SOME point in his life, every American male should drive a pickup truck. Maybe he doesn't have to own one--though there's nothing like owning one--but he should at least have the experience of driving down the highway in that most American of vehicles, listening to Hank Williams (original recipe, or Hank Jr., or Hank III) and knowing that all is right with the world, even if you've got a broken heart and a worn-out hound dog.
I own an old pickup truck with more than 200,000 miles on it, and it's the best purchase I ever made--with that engagement ring a very close second. (Just kiddin', darlin'.) But I say all this in order to make myself feel better, for of late I've been spotted driving the minivan.
Driving a minivan is, pretty much, the polar opposite of driving a pickup. There's no toughness in a minivan. You miss the commanding height you get in a pickup; you lose the intimidation factor--basically there's no coolness, whatsoever really, in a minivan.
Even Hank Williams songs lose some of the hurtin' in the mini.
At least, that's how I used to see it. But since I've been driving one lately (the truck is in dire need of an alternator, I think), I've had time to come up with new perspectives on the all-important topic of The Minivan and the American Male.
They say a man is reflected by his wheels. Tough truck means tough customer; muscle car means a ladies' man and respect for America's storied car history; and a regular sedan, perhaps, means practical and thrifty.
So what does a minivan say about a man? In the old thinking, it's that the driver must be hen-pecked, or have zero self-esteem (for if he had any, after all, he'd be driving a truck, right?).
But that assumption is wrong. Truth be told, it takes a True Man to drive a minivan.
For what a male minivan driver signifies, above all else, is a man who has the ability and willingness to shoulder responsibility. And that's what made this country great: doing your duty over following personal whim.
For minivans, almost without exception, confirm two things: parenthood and marriage. And I submit that it takes a man with the confidence of David, the strength of Sampson (pre-haircut), and the wisdom of Solomon to enter into those two lifelong commitments.
A minivan signifies, in essence, that a man has put others in front of himself. For minivans are the most practical family vehicles ever invented. They are are designed, first and foremost, to haul kids, and to make their comfort and ease of access a priority.
The minis also have a ton of room for Dad (and Mom, of course, but this column is about the dads) to carry just about everything else--from the Christmas tree to the seemingly endless amount of "stuff" that kids carry around between school, band, sports practice, etc. That is particularly true for newer models that have seats that come out easily, or fold into the floor.
So if noble sacrifice is the mark of a true hero, then here's a tip of the hat to all the dads out there in the Siennas, the Town and Countrys, the Grand Caravans. You deserve that next cold one.
You have given of yourself first. You display inner toughness. You are, truth be told, a manly man.
And, along those lines, let me suggest that, contrary to all popular perception, driving a minivan confirms a man as, er, physically fit. After all, since it's a vehicle designed to move children, it signifies the male in question is a healthy, red-blooded American boy. A sire.
'Nuff said.
At this point, SUV drivers are gnashing their teeth, crying out in anguish: "But there's another way! A quasi-tough way, but also a family-friendly way! It's the SUV!" And they're absolutely right: SUVs can be cool, tough, and yet family-friendly all at the same time.
But there's perhaps no better measure of a man than the one who goes to the ultimate length for others--who sacrifices everything, even his dignity, for his family vehicle--and getting behind the wheel of the mini is the surest sign of strong Zen-like confidence, of commitment to Mission One.
Finally, of course, there's comfort. Minivans are generally darned comfortable. Their entire reason for being is to make kids happy and a parent's life easier.
The defense rests.
It's true, in the end, that nothing will ever replace the feeling of driving south on 95 in a pickup truck, or idling at a stoplight with the roar of your truck's engine creating the sweetest all-American tune since Smokey Robinson sang "Tears of a Clown."
I'll always own a pickup. But I'll hold my head up high in the minivan, too.
Dave Smalley is Op-Ed/Viewpoints editor for The Free Lance-Star. ""

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
Sounds like the next Bud Light commercial... "Here's to you, Mr. Minivan Driver..."

·
Registered
65 Posts
178K Going strong

I have a 89 Dodge Caravan SE 178k 3spd turbo. this is my daily driver, it runs and drives good.
I am located in Central FL near Kennedy Space Center.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 88 dodge caravan nothing to brag about but it gets me I need to go.(soon as I fix the gas leak,haha) and I live in South Carolina

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
I have DGC 1988, 3.0 l Mitsubishi engine... over 435,000 km still running but slowly going to retire...

·
Registered
156 Posts
For the "country music deprived" Bocephus is pronounced bowseefus!!!
YEE-HAW I love Jr.:ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an '89 Caravan ES 3spd Turbo w/ 276k, slightly modded, and is in amazing shape for it's age/mileage! Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Well, haven't decided yet, but if I do the run this year, you'll have to pop by Stampede. I'll hook you up with mini-donuts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1985 Garnet red SE

I have a 1985 2.6 SE. It is my daily driver with 255,000 miles. Runs great, paint is beginning to fade & parts are slowly falling off.:beerchug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
1985 Plymouth voyager bought from a friend April 03, who bought it new, and put 137,000 mi. It now has 167,000. Only thing done to it has been a timing belt, and a halfshaft. 2.2L, auto trans, ps, pb, ac. Guess i got my $500.00 worth, lol. Had an 85 caravan with the 2.6L mitsubishi engine, but it retired itself.:) Hey guys with 84's, they will officially be antiques in 2009. Have to make my 85 last till 2010.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 1990 Dodge Caravan Cargo (5 speed)
Factory striped 2.5 liter non turbo 5 speed.
I am in Quakertown Pa (18951)
Really cool car to own!
Ryan

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,494 Posts
1990 GC in Florida, 149,000 Mi. owned 15 yrs. Just bought 2005 TC Ltd with 57K miles, trying to decide which I like better?

·
Banned
191 Posts
I currently have a 1984 cargo that's in process of receiving a 3.0/5-speed, 1985 cargo 2.2 5speed, 1985 voyager 2.2 5/speed, 1988 2.5 5-speed, 1989 turbo 5speed, 1990 GC 3.3. I have a couple 2.6 vans... but the rarest van I ever owned was a 1989 Grand voyager 2.5 n/a 5speed.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
56 Participants
Stinovlas
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing