1621 - 1640 of 1654 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,840 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,840 Posts
not common problems, but common failures
Not a problem nor a failure. I had that 2002 beginning in the Fall of 2002. Lots of oil on my engine (Fluid Film, Rust Check, Whatever). Preserves the electrical from drying out. :)

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Not a problem nor a failure. I had that 2002 beginning in the Fall of 2002. Lots of oil on my engine (Fluid Film, Rust Check, Whatever). Preserves the electrical from drying out. :)
I never washed my engine... it's not shiny but so greasy :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan with the 4 cylinder engine with 318,000 on it. I've ran synthetic oil since 80,000 and have done oil/filter changes every 20,000. It only runs on three cylinders and get 15-16 miles per gallon. I say it only runs on 3 cylinders because you can remove the #1 spark plug boot while the engine is running and nothing changes! I've had both the valve cover off at 280,000 and found the top end to be spotless. Took off the oil pan and removed a connecting rod cap and found the bearings to be clean with plenty of material to go. Engine is showing its age. If I had a place to overhaul and replace the engine I gladly would.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2007 Town and Country with 91k miles on so far. It's starting to make odd squeaking noises from the front end, but otherwise is new feeling in most ways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just shy of 150,000 miles on my '06 T&C SWB with the 3.3L V6. It runs great but has a building list of issues:
1. Terminal rust
2. Small leak in the intake manifold gasket so it leaks coolant. I keep a close eye on it and have a jug of 50/50 mix in the car at all times.
3. Clunking front end
4. Rotted out exhaust. It's pretty loud!
5. Power steering pump is starting to "howl". Maybe a filter and new fluid will help?
6. Passenger slider door is stuck closed. Appears that a cable broke or something. I took the interior panel off but couldn't decipher much.

I came very close to buying a 2005 GC SXT last week. It was pretty clean and only had 70K miles. New tires and brakes. I balked at the last minute and drove my old T&C home instead. I guess that means I will be throwing more money into it soon. I love the van but it certainly looks like krap.

If that 2005 had been a SWB model, I probably would have bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If that 2005 had been a SWB model, I probably would have bought it.
Yeah I hear ya. I’m also an older guy and really appreciate the SWB. I don’t need three rows of seats. Last year I was in a similar situation when I needed to replace my ‘91 SWB. I had to hunt a very long time to get the right 06/07 SWB. Many 06/07 LWB vans to choose from but I really wanted another SWB. Took a while but I got 06 one-owner with history and only 93k miles (150,000 kilometers) fairly clean for a very good price.

Needless to say I’m very happy with it and like the 3.3L a lot more then my ‘91 3.0L. I don't know what I will do ten years from now when my 06 and almost every gen-4 will be too old. I like the gen-5 vans kinda reminds me of my gen-2 body style but the gen-5 LWB only is way too big for my needs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why? It does not make any sense...
Makes sense to me. I prefer the SWB models...easier to park, a bit more nimble, etc. To each his own!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I’m also an older guy and really appreciate the SWB. I don’t need three rows of seats. Last year I was in a similar situation when I needed to replace my ‘91 SWB. I had to hunt a very long time to get the right 06/07 SWB. Many 06/07 LWB vans to choose from but I really wanted another SWB. Took a while but I got 06 one-owner with history and only 93k miles (150,000 kilometers) fairly clean for a very good price.

Needless to say I’m very happy with it and like the 3.3L a lot more then my ‘91 3.0L. I don't know what I will do ten years from now when my 06 and almost every gen-4 will be too old. I like the gen-5 vans kinda reminds me of my gen-2 body style but the gen-5 LWB only is way too big for my needs.
Yes! I like the SWBs, which are just as long overall as the old "Grands" were. I looked for a long time to find my current '06 SWB, and that was back in 2015.

On edit: I came across a very clean, non-rusty 1996 (!) Caravan SE with 90K miles on it. I was headed over to look at it when the seller called and told me it had already sold. :(

At this point, I'm leaning towards doing the repairs to the current van. I love the damned thing!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I don’t need three rows of seats.
The SWB also has 3 rows of seats... my third row bench is in the garage since I bought it but I have more space in the 'trunk' :) I don't see what the problem is... it's not much longer!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Makes sense to me. I prefer the SWB models...easier to park, a bit more nimble, etc. To each his own!
These are reasons but to give up a good deal for these reasons... good luck next time...

·
Registered
59 Posts
The SWB also has 3 rows of seats... my third row bench is in the garage since I bought it but I have more space in the 'trunk' :) I don't see what the problem is... it's not much longer!
I left one of the "buckets" in the middle row and took out the other, along with the back row split bench. They are all sitting up in my apartment (I don't have a garage). I could probably get along with a C/V. :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,546 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I’m also an older guy and really appreciate the SWB......I don't know what I will do ten years from now when my 06 and almost every gen-4 will be too old. I like the gen-5 vans kinda reminds me of my gen-2 body style but the gen-5 LWB only is way too big for my needs.
You don't have to wait 10 years, 4th Gen. are already too old. The newest 4th. G are already 14 + Y.O.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The SWB also has 3 rows of seats... my third row bench is in the garage since I bought it but I have more space in the 'trunk' :)
I left one of the "buckets" in the middle row and took out the other, along with the back row split bench. :)
That’s one of the things I love about these vans. You can use it as a 2,3,4,5,6,7or even 8 passenger van if you buy another 3-person bench. I usually use my van with the 3-person bench in the middle and nothing in the 3rd row.

Yes! I like the SWBs, which are just as long overall as the old "Grands" were. I looked for a long time to find my current '06 SWB, and that was back in 2015.
I liked the smaller size of my ‘91 SWB. According to my research my 06 SWB is 11 inches longer and 6.5 inches wider. I owned longer vehicles including a 69 Buick Lesabre a 71 Ford LTD, a 70 International TravelAll but non of them were as versatile as these vans.

You don't have to wait 10 years, 4th Gen. are already too old. The newest 4th. G are already 14 + Y.O.
Yeah I know but there are still plenty of them around in reasonable shape and you can still get plenty of parts. The last couple of years owning my ‘91 it was getting very hard to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yeah I know but there are still plenty of them around in reasonable shape and you can still get plenty of parts.
Most of them, at least in Canada, are rotten by rust... maybe in the Westside, you can still find some better ones...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most of them, at least in Canada, are rotten by rust... maybe in the Westside, you can still find some better ones...
Most of the west coast ones are totally rust free.
From today’s craigs here are 4 examples of 4 shorties with low mileage and zero rust. I deleted addresses, emails and phone numbers.
Shorty-1.jpg Shorti-2.jpg Shorty-3.jpg Shorty-4.jpg

Since this is a mileage thread note the low kilometer mileage from the above shorties.

My own van comes from Ontario but has very little rust. My van is on the West Coast 3.5 years now.

That dark gray on the back door of my van is a shadow, not rust.

That's my kilometers Aug 2019 when the pic was taken 150k

1621 - 1640 of 1654 Posts