The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1601 - 1620 of 1654 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Hello All, I'm amazed seeing all of the issues on here with 4th gen vans! I have an '05 3.3 sxt with 198,000 miles in Wisconsin and all it ever needed was two batteries, front disc pads twice, rear shoes once, EGR valve @ 110,000 miles, spark plugs @ 90,000 miles and Opt7 led headlite bulbs from Walmart @ 75,000miles. Has original trans and brake fluid. Change (full syn Walmart) oil at 7 or 8,000 miles. I better go knock on wood! lol :oops:
How many miles did you drive on highway?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although I have replaced many items, I really still love the van. I look at it this way, its 15 years old, driven in a salty environment. Eventually something has to give. It's either fix a few things here and there or pay $400/month on a new one. I'm still ahead on my 2005. The biggest issue with me is time because I do it all myself. Someday I will pay the $400 because I either want a new van or simply just don't want to spend the time anymore to maintain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About 50,000 highway miles with some light trailering. The main feature I wish I had is the steering wheel audio controls.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
About 50,000 highway miles with some light trailering. The main feature I wish I had is the steering wheel audio controls.
I believe you don't live in a crazy busy big city like Toronto... daily stop and go driving is killing these vans much faster... and then, it could be just your luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
2005 DGC SXT 3.8L. Has 184,000 mi. Runs fine nothing major. Just leaks oil everywhere and gets 15 - 16 mpg at best. Anything I should look out for? When should I service the transmission?
The compression is probably going on that motor. If you're leaking oil, and Lucas Stop-Slip won't solve the tranny, I'd off it on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for $600-$1200 (depending on rust severity), then turn right around and buy another used one in better shape for about the same. There's a million of these things going for peanuts, mainly because they're bone-ugly once the rust starts chewing away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2003 with 240,000 Minneapolis rust-belt miles purchased for $800 as a daily driver winter beater. It's the trim level down from the Limited (it has the audio buttons on the wheel, etc). Previous owner babied it (oil every 3k on the dot), but the rust is on the wheel wheels and lower door seams (I drenched 'em in WD40 after acquiring it). Engine still has really good compression, and consequently excellent gas mileage -- I'm getting 20.2 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving in December in Minnesota on 10% ethanol 87-octane, which is 3 or 4mpg better than my 1999 did in winter with the same 3.8 engine. (I hate the interior more than the '99; everything from the design of the driver's door -- juts out into your knee's funny-bone -- to the crappy drink tray, the worthless center bin, the radio/heater controls lacking illumination, the ultra-weak interior lighting. I dunno.... At least it's not frying bulbs constantly like the '99.)

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts

somethings broken, they should illuminate when the headlights or parking lights are on
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe bulbs need to be replaced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nah; nothing is broke. The center pillar display in the gen-4s just has a crappier layout and illumination design than the gen-3s. (If I could easily replace the entire thing with a gen-3s, I'd do it in a heartbeat.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 Grand Caravan C/V here. 313K miles on the odometer and still going strong. 3.3 with 4 speed auto. Van was a delivery vehicle for a parts store in Alabama until 2011 and had 220K on it when we purchased it and brought it to S.E. Mi. The C/V vans are tanks with H/D everything LOL. Only real issue is that it needs rear leaf spring front bushings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am at 220,070 miles today (Jan 29, 2020) on my 2002 T&C Limited.
The ignition keyswitch failed at 185k and 190k, so the second time I just pulled the pins out of the cyclinder. The engine rattles when idling in drive but stops when shifted to neutral (I think its the AC bearing), I loose a quart of antifreeze a week without a sign of where it goes, and the heater hasn't blown hot air in over a year. Passenger electric window won't move, sometime the door lock on that side will lock itself when anyone pulls on the outside handle (over and over when I'm trying to let someone in!). The radio control up/down buttons on the back of the steering wheel has failed, the volume knob on the radio will work sporadically - sometimes cutting all sound out for a second or two.

Other than that, its good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i wish i had this too, my clockspring has a plug for it

does anyone know if you can just drop this feature in? does it require a special radio?
I messed with it a few years back - pulled the air bag off of the steering wheel (scary) and installed a bus cable but I think it would need one more cable. I also came across some suggestions that the BCM would have to support this feature. I may dig into this some more when I get to it!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Update. 2002 T&C 3.8L AWD, tow package. 270K miles. 155K miles when bought for $5500 in 2008. Main issues were cracked flex-plate & fried fuel injector harness at cross-over exhaust, both common issues.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Update. 2002 T&C 3.8L AWD, tow package. 270K miles. 155K miles when bought for $5500 in 2008. Main issues were cracked flex-plate & fried fuel injector harness at cross-over exhaust, both common issues.
It never happened to me :)

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
1601 - 1620 of 1654 Posts