The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went to Valvoline Instant Oil to get my oil changed. They gave me the oil I wanted, regular conventional oil, like I have always used. I have gone to this place several times and it's been good. But this time, about 300 miles after the oil change, the dashboard says "Change Oil" every time I start my car.

The engine runs worse too. I have to go over 4000 RPM on the highway way too often -- In the past, I usually was able to always keep it under 3000 RPM.

Also, when I'm driving, I can't tell if the engine is chugging and making the car shake, or if the shocks are just absolutely awful or something.

When I'm idling with the air conditioning on, sometimes the car shakes a lot. In the past, that definitely did not happen to the degree it is happening now.

I checked the oil level and it was low, so I put more oil in so the amount of oil is in the safe range. That didn't fix any of the problems.

Recently, I have been idling in my car more than usual (with the air conditioning on). But I don't imagine that a few hours of idling would account for ~3000 miles' worth of engine/oil use (to trigger the "change oil" message).

My vehicle is a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.6L. I believe it only has the standard basic features. It doesn't have the special screen on the dashboard where you can change the "illuminated approach" and all that.

Someone suggested to me that maybe the gas cap was not on tight. I always put the gas cap on tight (3 to 5 clicks, and making sure it is even), but I took the gas cap off and put it back on just in case. But that did not fix any of the problems either.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on with the vehicle/engine?

Thank you for any help.

·
Super Moderator
26,660 Posts
Better take it back to them, seems like they messed up something, probably the filter. Shouldn't need to add oil so early.

How many miles were on the oil when you changed it? Maybe they didn't reset the reminder properly.

New kid on the job?

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
388 Posts
I find most of these places, it depends on who is working whether they reset the reminder or not. Some of them don't know how to do it. Also with the virus the ones around here want you to stay in the vehicle and they won't touch anything in the vehicle. So it may well not have been reset.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
655 Posts
The directions are in the owner's manual. Turn the key to On, slowly depress the gas pedal 3 times in 5 (or 10?) seconds, and then turn key to Off.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,210 Posts
The directions are in the owner's manual. Turn the key to On, slowly depress the gas pedal 3 times in 5 (or 10?) seconds, and then turn key to Off.
It's 10 seconds.

Reactions: Westphal

·
Super Moderator
26,660 Posts
10 seconds?? I find it hard to count and dance at the same time for 5 seconds. :)

Yes, they say to do it slowly and then give you only 10 seconds to complete the task. Why not just blow the horn for 10 seconds. :)

Reactions: Westphal

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,195 Posts
I always get the Chevy and Dodge procedures mixed up, so I always do 10 pumps in 5 seconds. :p As long as you do the number required, any extra don't matter. It says slowly, but speed isn't an issue either. It only matters that you go full to the floor to full off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always get the Chevy and Dodge procedures mixed up, so I always do 10 pumps in 5 seconds. :p As long as you do the number required, any extra don't matter. It says slowly, but speed isn't an issue either. It only matters that you go full to the floor to full off.
Sounds like the dodge and Chevy procedures are the same. I work for a GM dealer

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,195 Posts
I work for a GM dealer
My condolences. :p

Just referred a Camaro with 595 miles left in warranty to the dealer because they needed a few thousand in repairs. Apparently they screwed them up even worse in 2016 and shortened the warranty by 40k. Glad that old lady came in this week and not next or she'd be buying that transmission.

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 13 of 13 Posts