The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace my Tstat again since the one i installed in August is not functioning properly.I never realized that there were different temp ratings for them.What temp range should I purchase that would best suite my 3.0L eng.?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Most of the MOPAR engines are rated to run with a 195deg. T-stat. Most automotive stores have the correct model for $5, or less. There is also a more expensive one that has a "failsafe-mode" when it fails, it's guaranteed to fail "open". Some have a little "weep-hole" in them to help with the "burping". However, if you take the appropriate steps, you can get all the bubbles out, correctly. :headbange

Browse the other links pertaining to "overheating" or "no heat" and you'll get lots of directions on how to do it quickly and smoothly. :thumb:

Get back to us with your results. :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
22,213 Posts
Going to replace my Tstat again since the one i installed in August is not functioning properly.I never realized that there were different temp ratings for them.What temp range should I purchase that would best suite my 3.0L eng.?
What problem are you having?

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
There is also a more expensive one that has a "failsafe-mode" when it fails, it's guaranteed to fail "open".
I think thats the stant superstat. They are alittle pricey for just a thermostat but I guess it's worth it....can prevent further damage due to a faulty thermostat sticking closed and for those who don't ever glance at their temp gauge.

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What problem are you having?
Tstat is staying in open position and not giving much heat.Checked everything else and is fine.I replaced the thermo in late Aug. The van will give me heat at idle but when you start to drive the temp gauge drops and the heat goes to luke warm or cold air.This has happened to me once before many years ago and was a faulty tstat staying open.I never realized that there was different temp ranges on tstats before.I always just went to the auto parts counter and asked for a tstat and used what they gave me.So I want to be sure that I am getting the proper one for my eng.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,213 Posts
Tstat is staying in open position and not giving much heat.Checked everything else and is fine.I replaced the thermo in late Aug. The van will give me heat at idle but when you start to drive the temp gauge drops and the heat goes to luke warm or cold air.This has happened to me once before many years ago and was a faulty tstat staying open.I never realized that there was different temp ranges on tstats before.I always just went to the auto parts counter and asked for a tstat and used what they gave me.So I want to be sure that I am getting the proper one for my eng.:thumb:
Perhaps a sensor. Is the radiator fan on when it shouldn't be?

Merry Christmas to ALL and to ALL a goodnight!!!

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps a sensor. Is the radiator fan on when it shouldn't be?

The fan operates normally.I replaced the tstat this morning and took it for a test drive.The van warmed up at idle then I hit the hwy, this is were it would have gone cold again but it stayed at normal operating temp and i was getting constant even temp and heat from my heater and defrost inside the van.Looks like I just got a bad tstat from the parts store.

·
Super Moderator
22,213 Posts
That's good news that you now have heat. Was the part from CTC?

·
Super Moderator
22,213 Posts
Where Else!:biggrin:
I had problems with their thermostats years ago. They were made in Isreal or some unlikely place like that. I have wondered though if my problem wasn't really an air pocket in the system. It eventually got sorted out with a thermostat from another source.

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had problems with their thermostats years ago. They were made in Isreal or some unlikely place like that. I have wondered though if my problem wasn't really an air pocket in the system. It eventually got sorted out with a thermostat from another source.
Yeah I bought the new one at NAPA on Sackville dr. hopefully it keeps working properly for a very long time:thumb:

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
CTC or CST? I dont rate CSTs line very high.Stant/Napa/Gates is ok.The SuperStat operates a little different than a normal thermostat.I believe it opens more gradually as temp goes up and closes slowly as it goes down.Rather than a jerky OPEN or CLOSED all or nothing proposition.There are Fail Safe thermostats now that in an overheat condition will open wide open and stay there permanently.This however requires a replacement,and rarely will an engine overheat unless its a lack of coolant to begin with or head gasket failure (which will blow out all the fluid anyway,the stat will run dry in short order).

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CTC or CST? I dont rate CSTs line very high.Stant/Napa/Gates is ok.).
CTC in Canada is Canadian Tire Corp. One of the largest Box store/Hardeware chains in Canada.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
CTC or CST? I dont rate CSTs line very high.Stant/Napa/Gates is ok.The SuperStat operates a little different than a normal thermostat.I believe it opens more gradually as temp goes up and closes slowly as it goes down.Rather than a jerky OPEN or CLOSED all or nothing proposition.There are Fail Safe thermostats now that in an overheat condition will open wide open and stay there permanently.This however requires a replacement,and rarely will an engine overheat unless its a lack of coolant to begin with or head gasket failure (which will blow out all the fluid anyway,the stat will run dry in short order).
The FAILSAFE T-Stat is designed to "Fail" OPEN, it costs anywhere from $5 - $15. Whereas most t-Stats will fail closed, by default, and that's suddenly very expensive $$$$$. So it's well worth the extra money if you can afford it up front.
:lol:
I recommend you replace the Rad Cap at the same time (also cheap insurance).:thumb:

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is the one i purchased the failsafe open tstat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts