The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Im trying to find out the exact engine i have on my 2003 dodge caravan se and i also need to know how it works, is there anyone that can help me with that and explain simply?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,571 Posts
Get a build sheet. Those vehicles might have either a 3.3 or 3.8l engines.

How it works? Can you explain yourself?

·
Super Moderator
27,248 Posts
Your engine should say on top of it as to which engine it is, most likely a 3.3L or 3.8L. They both are basically the same engine, just a different displacement and horsepower. These are basic work horse type engines, two valves per cylinder, push rod design. Nothing fancy like double overhead cams or anything. Timing is via chain instead of belt.

More on the two engines:
Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth 3.3 Liter V-6 Engines

Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep 3.8 liter V6 engines

Reactions: BeardyHat

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
A "short" (wheelbase) caravan of that vintage will likely have 3.3 v6, but could have a 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Shorty "SE" with 3.8 from the factory is very unlikely.
If you stick your VIN (make sure it's all caps) in the company build sheet lookup, it will tell you all about your van...
Code:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

·
Registered
72 Posts
A "short" (wheelbase) caravan of that vintage will likely have 3.3 v6, but could have a 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Shorty "SE" with 3.8 from the factory is very unlikely.
If you stick your VIN (make sure it's all caps) in the company build sheet lookup, it will tell you all about your van...
Code:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=
Thanks for that link. I've been looking for a site that will give me all the options a vehicle is built with. It doesn't give the various option codes plus owner, warranty and recall information like a proper Chrysler VIP statement but it is the next best thing.

It didn't work for me at first because I didn't read for comprehension and use ALL CAPS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you need a build sheet with codes, just go to a dealer parts department. They can print it right away.
Yeah, I know that. I used to work at a Dodge dealer and ran VIP statements and did all kinds of other stuff on Dealer Connect or whatever it is they might call it now. I know plenty of people in parts and service there that can do it for me no problem. I have a printout for both of the vehicles we currently own.

Thing is, I am looking to buy a used pick up. Being able to determine what the vehicle I'm looking at is equipped with would be really nice since descriptions and photos on Craigslist or Auto Trader can often leave a lot to be desired. I'd rather be able to do it right away at home since the dealership is 15-20 minutes away and I prefer not to trouble folks over things that I can handle myself. The link atoman provided will do exactly that.

Thanks for pointing that out anyway. It might help somebody else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
VIN decoder & lookup - Vindecoderz also works well. And unlike the jeep decoder gives the sales codes. At least for Chrysler stuff.

I use both. The Jeep.com link is much more readable. But the vindecoderz is more detailed.

And this helps understand all of the codes Sales Code tables.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,571 Posts
Yeah, I know that. I used to work at a Dodge dealer and ran VIP statements and did all kinds of other stuff on Dealer Connect or whatever it is they might call it now. I know plenty of people in parts and service there that can do it for me no problem. I have a printout for both of the vehicles we currently own.

Thing is, I am looking to buy a used pick up. Being able to determine what the vehicle I'm looking at is equipped with would be really nice since descriptions and photos on Craigslist or Auto Trader can often leave a lot to be desired. I'd rather be able to do it right away at home since the dealership is 15-20 minutes away and I prefer not to trouble folks over things that I can handle myself. The link atoman provided will do exactly that.

Thanks for pointing that out anyway. It might help somebody else.
That website has beem around for many years, I don't understand how you didn't knew about it.

Every chrysler site have access to build sheet, just relace jeep..com with chrysler.com, dodge.com etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Everyone, Im trying to find out the exact engine i have on my 2003 dodge caravan se and i also need to know how it works, is there anyone that can help me with that and explain simply?
This is a four stroke 2 valve per cylinder engine.first the intake valve is opened and at the same time the piston lowers down drawing in a air and fuel mixture (intake stroke)than booth valves close and at the same time the air and fuel mixture is compressed by the piston rising (compression stroke)than the mixture is ignited by a spark plug and the mixture explodes and then piston is forced downward and then the exhaust valve opens and at the same time the piston rises.and this process repeats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts