The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on that sheet metal subframe piece under the steering rack and sway bar. I’m assuming the mechanic that dropped it years ago replaced it with new, as it looks important.

E4735A58-E37C-4BD2-A558-1CFABF761015.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
What size box wrench is that? If it wasn't for that being in the picture, I wouldn't have been able to tell what size the part/piece is. Do you have a pic from where you found it? Measurements of the part/piece?

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Looks like something that flew up off the roadway.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
No, I don't think so.

Been on the highway everyday and I've never seen anything like that on the highway! 😄
That's because your windshield is severely cracked from asteroid ice. :)

It'a a piece of a trailer hitch, not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely not a hitch pin, as those are 5/8" or larger, while this is less than 1/2". The ends are flat, so it's not broken. I thought it might be something to connect the steering column to the rack, but I didn't see anything that looked similar in parts fiche diagrams. I also skimmed through a steering rack replacement video on YouTube, and again didn't see anything similar. I'm not worried about it; it's just a mystery. Maybe I'll never find out.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Definitely not a hitch pin, as those are 5/8" or larger, while this is less than 1/2". The ends are flat, so it's not broken. I thought it might be something to connect the steering column to the rack, but I didn't see anything that looked similar in parts fiche diagrams. I also skimmed through a steering rack replacement video on YouTube, and again didn't see anything similar. I'm not worried about it; it's just a mystery. Maybe I'll never find out.
If your steering starts going wonky, then you will have your answer. :)

I think "wonky" is a FabricGATOR invention, so I have to acknowledge his copyright.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Wonky ®

What kind of work was being done?

My guess is that perhaps it was an improvised 'tool' that the mechanic was using as a punch or drift pin.

While working under a vehicle on a lift, many times tools are placed on a 'shelf ' under the vehicle or the arms of the lift. It may have been misplaced on final inspection.

That being said, this never happens on aircraft.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
No, because aircraft mechanics are too lazy to go get the right parts, or tools, let alone to make their own tools.

They just use electric tape, duct tape or whatever they have available and as close as possible.

But they only use it on non-vital parts of the aircraft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just gonna assume it's for the hinge of a trailer gate or ramps or something like that. Or maybe Boeing forgot to install the snap ring on the end.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Could it be from LEVY's transmission that grenaded? :rolleyes:

·
fix it if you can
4,884 Posts
While working under a vehicle on a lift, many times tools are placed on a 'shelf ' under the vehicle or the arms of the lift.

Yup, airplanes are not placed on lifts for work and typically have no 'shelves' to place things on...

Besides airplane mechanics are not concerned with finding 'extra bits' due to frequent need to remove feathers and bone fragments from the engines ;) (and occasional propeller / turbofan / engine fragments)

Either forgotten drift pin removal punch or part of wiper 'transmission' - there's nothing else in that area that it could be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts