The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many mini van owners use them as multi purpose. I love my caravan but I think its to small.
I like the old chevy asto van size. I think the new Metris van is close to its size.
1 problem with the astro was the terriable front passenger space.
Question: would you like to have a Astro size van with FWD and stow&go avaiable?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fiat-Chrysler says no. The Fiat Ducato, which is what the Ram Promaster Van was based on, does not have the seatbelt mounting points or reinforced seat floorboard crossbeams to be certified for passenger use, and Fiat-Chrysler isn't going to spend the money to design new stampings for the Ducato body for the five-figure number of passenger versions of the van that they could possibly sell. You can still buy a Ram Promaster van and convert it to passenger use yourself, but they won't sell a passenger version of the van themselves, it just makes no financial sense. If they had designed the Promaster from scratch rather than using the Ducato design, that might have worked... but they didn't.

·
fix it if you can
4,801 Posts
F0rd Transit, MB Sprinter, afore mentioned ProMaster - the segment is not large and has plenty of competition...
Why would one need FWD and FoldInFloor seating on a mid size van?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Note that the ProMaster *is* front wheel drive. In fact, it uses the Caravan/T&C powertrain virtually intact, the same 3.6L Pentastar and same 6 speed transaxle driving the front wheels. It just wasn't designed as a passenger vehicle and given the limited market F-C has no intention of redesigning it to be able to meet U.S. safety standards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chevrolet claims their version of the NV200 is mid size. But again, as with the ProMaster, it comes only as a cargo van because it lacks the seat belt mounting points and reinforced seat mounts to be passenger-rated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Therre seems to some confusion......The Promaster is a full size van, even it smaller version is bigger then the chevy express and the old ford E vans.
I would love a short wheelbase Promaster pass van. There are tons of passenger promasters in Europe. I don't see why we can't have one here. Fords new big ero van can be had as a passenger version.
But I am refering to mid size like the old chevy astro vsan. The only van today that comes close to the is the mercedes metris van.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the old astro vans were 180.2" long and 77.5" wide , the caravan/Town and country are 205.76" long and 78" wide . The way I see it is that there are no such things as "mini" vans anymore . The original caravans were mini by every sense of the word but not anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Already told you why there's no passenger promasters here -- the cost to re-engineer it to meet U.S. passenger vehicle standards, which are far more stringent than European standards, exceeds the amount of money they could make by selling a passenger vehicle. They're happy enough if you buy one and convert it into a passenger vehicle as a "conversion van", but those aren't subject to the same standards as made-for-passenger-use vehicles here in the US.

Same reason why diesels are so rare and expensive here in the US compared to Europe -- our standards are way higher than the European standards, and meeting them requires designing specifically to meet the US standards, no design that was originally done as a Europe-only design will meet US standards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
promaster passenger.jpg The Promaster is avaible as a passenger van but only as full tall roof wheelbase version, like one you use as a shuttle bus at a airport.

·
Registered
62 Posts
View attachment 37617 The Promaster is avaible as a passenger van but only as full tall roof wheelbase version, like one you use as a shuttle bus at a airport.
That's actually a conversion van, not done by Fiat-Chrysler. Upfits from the bare window van to a passenger vehicle are done via an upfitting/conversion contract between the buyer and the local dealership, they are not available like that from the factory.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You order this passenger van from RAM...yes its a 3rd party does the conversion but you buy it from RAM not a 3rd party company.
Ford is stealing buisness by offering a passenger version in the small (short) full size Transit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually, the one thing I would change about my Voyager is make it rear wheel drive. Most of my vehicles were RWD and I actually prefer that platform when it's not independent rear suspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts