The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! need your opinion again, my 04 caravan with 70,000 mls has developed a noise while down shifting from first gear to stopping. Its a kind of clicking sound like click, click,click, it almost sounds like somebody is throuhging marbles around inside the tranny. or that erea of the front end. The motor is a 3.3 ltr.The sound does appear ocaisionaly on acceleration but mostly on braking and comming to a complete stop. THANKS AGAIN

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Sounds like a solenoid pack to me. Though they are seemingly quieter on the 4th gens.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
downshift clicking

I had the clicking or I like to call it ratcheting noise because it sounds like spinning a ratchet, any way i heard it on my 89 dyasty with a 3 liter and 240,000 klms. It went to the bone yard after I gave it to my son from tranny failure. I heard it in my 2000 caravan until the park pin fell out at 100 klms between here and there. Now its very faint with the new transmission that chrysler replaced. I miss hearing it the way it used to be.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Park pin

The park pawl holds in with a pin.Sounds like someone parked on hills without using the parking brake....
Previous owner must have abused it. It happened a couple of months after I bought it.

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
When you park on a hill without engaging the parking brake,you load up the park pawl to the point its near impossible to get out of park.Extreme force on the lever,cable,and linkage (leading to the pawl itself) is required to get it out.Otherwise you need someone to slightly push the bumper so it rolls slightly uphill to "unload" the linkage.With an automatic transmission its extremely imperitive that the parking brake works.With a manual,you can easily release the clutch,and if you lose brakes,you can downshift.Lose the engine (stall) in an automatic and you are freewheeling to disaster.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
When you park on a hill without engaging the parking brake,you load up the park pawl to the point its near impossible to get out of park.Extreme force on the lever,cable,and linkage (leading to the pawl itself) is required to get it out.Otherwise you need someone to slightly push the bumper so it rolls slightly uphill to "unload" the linkage.With an automatic transmission its extremely imperitive that the parking brake works.With a manual,you can easily release the clutch,and if you lose brakes,you can downshift.Lose the engine (stall) in an automatic and you are freewheeling to disaster.
This is why I wish people would remember to rest the vehicle on the parking brake in "Neutral" before shifting into "Park" ... saves the parking sprang.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts