The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 t&c with only 64K & im the 2nd owner. For 3mo ive had an issue i cant figure out. At 30-45 mph it shudders & shifts a little hard at time and kinda feels like a bad torque converter & idles low & rough at stop lights. The fluid is pink & clean. The cel is not on but had it scanned anyway & nothing. Now it jerks at all speeds & im at my wits end. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
pink and clean? it should be more red than pink

did you ever change the fluid yourself? if you did, what kind of fluid did you put in?

work around the transmission before looking into it specifically, this may have nothing at all to do with the transmission

when you say the engine is idling low and rough, what rpm is it idling at in drive? what's the condition of the engine mounts like?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meant red. Very minimal friction material in it. It idles down to 500 and vibrates. Its all original factory parts & fluids except the engine oil of course. Plugs look good with slight browning no carbon or crusting on the electrodes, wires r good all engine mounts & trans mounts r in tact.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
These A-604 (aka the 41TE ) transmission use ATF +4 transmission fluid. If you think there is a possibility that you or someone, say at Jiffy Lube may have used regular Dextron transmission fluid, that may be your problem... maybe.

The transmission holds about IIRC 11 quarts of fluid (you can only drain 3-4 quarts) so a splash here and a splash there, just to top it up, won't likely cause any catastrophic, sudden condition. NOW, if you drained and refilled the transmission with the wrong fluid, that may be a different story.

These computer controlled transmission, it is normal to have an occasional weird shift. That being said though, a regularly harsh shifting may be a symptom of a faulty something...

Is your TnC a FWD or an AWD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its FWD. I do all my own oil changes. We got the van last june with 47K on it. This started on dec 5th. The trans seems strong but the shuddering & now the jerking that happens at all speeds but only under accelerstion. I want to scream. Lol!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Right on the front of the van, front driver side of the transmission, there is four places where wire harness plugs into the transmission.

The first thing I would do, is to carefully unplug those four connectors, carefully and gently turn them so you can see, inspect them to ensure clean electrical contacts and then just plug them right back in.
See if that makes a difference.

Welcome to the forum.

Let us know what you find and please do us the courtesy of reporting here when you find what fixes your mini. Even if you end up taking it to a mechanic. It is your feedback that makes this place work.
I imagine that you are online looking for answers and have read a few similar problems. How frustrating when you find some story of your same fault and the the guy gets it working and doesn't go back and tell what it was... the story just drops without an ending.
I love a happy ending!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Inside the drivers front wheel well, behind the plastic cover towards the front, there is another connector on the transmission control computer.
You may want to check that one too. But do the four up top first.

The four: Input speed sensor, output speed sensor, the PRND3 switch and the solenoid pack connector(this one has a single 5/16 [same as 8mm] bolt holding it on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for your kindness. I will definately post what fixes it. I am a mechanic of sorts. I never went to school, i started at 15 and im now 45. I know alot but not all. Most stuff past 2000 i dont know alot about as far as the issue im having. Im feeling beaten but i keep on trucking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its been in arizona its entire life. It still looks like it just came out of the factory. And old couple bought it new in 2003.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im gonna check the fuel pressure to see if that might be the issue. Its puzzling with no codes to go on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now it surges while shuddering/jerking. The rpm's go up & down real quick like vroom vroom vroom vroom. Sometimes it will stop. Shm i just wanna cry. If this van dies we lose everything an my wife & 3 kids n i will be on the streets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so before my last post i disconnected every trans plug & they r all good then i reconnected then & after that is what it did in my last post & now it seems ok but i will post again if it happens again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My battery had a dead cell & only 336 cca out of 550. Replaced it & its doing fine now.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,619 Posts
64K miles, time to change tranny fluid and filter.

Welcome to the forum. I'm also 45, with a wife and 4 kids. I went to votech and graduated in Auto Mechanics in 1995. Although I don't work in the industry, I do assemble engines for Arctic Cat/Textron. My parents, sister and my family have owned many Chrysler minivans over the years, from 1st to 5th generations. I've owned a 3rd gen since 2009, and a 4th gen since 2018. We had a 5th gen for a year and a half, but it got totalled by someone turning left on red.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello and thank you. The batt fixed several issues but not this one. Im trying lucas injector cleaner then im gonna change the solenoid pack cuz i found a trans with a new borg warner in the salvage yard for $30 & i picked up a gasket for $4 at O'rielly auto. After that ill try the fluid & filter. If that doesnt fix it then ill install a rebuilt tranny.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
…. & idles low & rough at stop lights.. ...
What you wrote above in your OP leads me to believe the problem with your van is strictly engine-related. Instead of spending any more time on the transmission, I suggest buying an OBD realtime datastream reader, which may provide some important information about the performance of the engine. The Torque phone app for Android is probably the most popular and inexpensive tools, however there are others as well.

And considering that this van may have been done only very short trips at slow speeds for 16 or so years, here's one easy thing from the redneck handbook for you to try. Get it fully warmed up and take it to an interstate (or other high-speed highway), and punch down to WOT and keep it there until it's up to the maximum safe speed. When you do this, watch in the mirror to see if a big dark cloud shows up behind the van. If it does, then a few of these Italian tune-ups might be the only 'fix' your van needs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When coasting at 40 mph in neutral it doesnt change, i keeps acting like its on a bumpy road. Also once we bought it we took it on a 4K mi trip and it was great. Ive done several of those italian tune ups & never any smoke but im thinking the fi might be clogged so i bought some lucas and im gonna drive it around the freeways today. If it was trans related it should stop shuddering when in neuteral .what about an engine flush? It does have a gummy lifter cuz the last oil change we 8K mi on conventiinal oil & it wad thick black & lumpy. I switched to full synthetic but it still has a little noise under load.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts