The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Chrysler town and country van and have just noticed red oil, which I am assuming is transmission oil, on the floor mats of both driver and passenger sides. any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sure it's oil, not coolant?
Coolant would make more sense. Coolant is also red-ish and I can't think of any reason you'd have transmission fluid inside the van, but coolant would be due to the heater core.
You are right. Since I am not very mechanic minded, and have since talked with a friend who told me that he was sure it was coolant, makes more sense. Any ideas on how to further check where it is coming from?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The way the cabin gets heat is that there is a heat exchanger (like a mini radiator) inside the cabin airbox.
That heat exchange, or a plumbing connection, has obviously sprung a leak.

Under the hood, if you follow the large radiator hose back to the engine... behind where that attaches will be a smaller 3/4" hose that goes to the firewall. There is also another 'return' hose too. If you disconnect the two hoses and loop them both back to the engine, the heated coolant will no longer circulate (and leak) into the cabin floor.

This way you can continue to operate the vehicle until you have it repaired (or repair it yourself)

What is your climate at your location? Is heat still essential to survival?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right. Since I am not very mechanic minded, and have since talked with a friend who told me that he was sure it was coolant, makes more sense. Any ideas on how to further check where it is coming from?
Thanks, I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow. It is good to know some information before hand.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
My guess is a pinhole in the heater core spraying coolant around. Is your coolant level down when looking in the radiator? If the coolant gets down enough, there will be no heat from your heater and no more spray.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
My guess is a pinhole in the heater core spraying coolant around. Is your coolant level down when looking in the radiator? If the coolant gets down enough, there will be no heat from your heater and no more spray.
Or maybe a pinhole in the ATF can he keeps under the front seat?

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Won't hurt to check the hose connections to the heater tubes in the engine bay, in case it's spraying there and finding its way to the inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, the heater core can be replaced without removing the dash. Several on-line videos cover the procedure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For what it's worth, the heater core can be replaced without removing the dash. Several on-line videos cover the procedure.
Can you post a link?

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Can you post a link?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like the second video by Eric The Wrench from ' Live Free or DIY '

it was recommended after watching the lower 2002 video

1 - 14 of 14 Posts