The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well well. About a year ago I managed to find a pair of coveted Chrysler Stratus 2.0 A604 transfer gears and paid an arm and a leg to have the shipped overseas. They've been sitting in a box on garage shelf since and yesterday I finally found time to install them. The front end of the van is largely disassembled (radiator change, exhaust manifold replacement, vacuum/radiator/oil cooler/trans cooler/etc. hose replacement, rust repair, paint and so forth) so this is a perfect opportunity because the whole left side of the engine and transmission is exposed.

Surprise. The damn gears were 1:1 the same as OEM in the 3.8 AWD. ?

Now, does anyone have ideas where to source a correct pair of gears? Original gearing is really tall, <2krpm @ 60mph is borderline ridiculous, especially when towing and in hilly terrain. Not to mention any attempts at taking the (soon to be lifted) van off-roading at all, especially because 235/70R16 all terrain tires have a 8% larger circumference than OEM size and need to be offset somehow. Ideally with Stratus transfer gears, which - according to my calculations - should result in 18% shorter gearing.

Any help is much appreciated. Really. I'm getting a bit desperate now and I haven't even found anything on eBay in a while.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,694 Posts
I found some stats looking through the Rock Auto online catalog. If you look under a vehicle's DRIVETRAIN menu, sometimes it will show you a differential gear (in the case of the 3rd gen late 3.8 and 3.3 V6 is 56 teeth). Seems to be the same for early 4th gen too. Different overall gear ratios with the same diff ring gear mean the transfer gears were different. I am guessing the 3.8 uses 48t and 48t transfer gears? I have some from an early 4th gen 3.3 V6 and they are 47t drive and 49t driven transfer gears.

Hope you can use the way I searched for yourself and figure out different vehicles that may have the gears you seek.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,694 Posts
As long as we're on the subject of transfer gears, I was looking at mine and had just ordered/received some parts for my van. I had to order new bearings for my junkyard gears, because I had to ruin them to pull the gears out (didn't have correct tool with me). As it was, I wasn't supposed to remove them as the yard changed policy and wants to sell transmissions as a whole part (so as not to pollute the environment). Anyway, after researching online, doing interchange crossovers from MOPAR numbers and ordering the parts, I received them and visually confirmed with my old parts that they are the correct ones. So here is the info:

Both parts are SKF bearings, just the bearing no race included.

Transfer DRIVE GEAR (top gear in wheelwell) #LM300849 VP

Transfer DRIVEN GEAR (bottom gear in wheelwell) #LM501349 VP

Hope that helps. It was very confusing because part catalogs kept saying they use the same bearing, and they do not. I think it's because the transfer shaft did use the same bearing as the upper gear bearing, but on the PINION END of the shaft, not on the transfer gear. Very misleading unless you look deep into it like I had to.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RR. The major problem is that Chryslers (with the exception of minivans and 300:s) aren't common in junkyards around here. Finding an A604 that hasn't come out of a Voyager is rare and finding one you could pull the gears out of is nigh on impossible.

Even a 47/49 pair would suffice in a pinch but 46/50. The current pair has a ratio of over 1:1 ie. the upper (output? transfer?) gear is larger, which makes the van a bit of a pain when towing anything or off road. I haven't counted the teeth but it's quite obvious when comparing them side by side.

Bearings and bearing cups aren't really a problem, I have tools to change them if need be. Gears themselves are; it has proved tough to find a pair, not to mention a seller who would ship them overseas. US junkyards rarely do and I haven't even found one that would pull the gears as a service.

I've tried more or less everything, to no avail so far.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,694 Posts
This thread may help clarify things.

The first post has a quoted write-up with the year of Stratus and even part numbers for the desired gears. Maybe you got the wrong year gears? Hope it helps!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, RR. The problem is that the gears mentioned aren't available as spare parts anymore and I haven't come across anyone mentioning the part numbers in classified ads.

However, I came across a cheap 47/49 pair which is on its way now. I'll swap them in once they arrive and keep an eye out for 46/50 in the future. Swapping them is so quick and easy that spending another $35 + shipping for a pair of gears at this point wasn't a big deal and it should improve things a bit meanwhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts