The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the timing belt on a 4L engine (2010 T&C Limited) a chain or a belt? If it is a belt, at what mileage should I change it, waterpump, tensioner, pullies etc????

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
I've read that the 4.0 has a timing belt and is an interference engine. I don't yet know how often the belt should be replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just saw a site that recommends changing the timing belt every 102,000 miles. Might as well change it every 100,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
The owners manual says 102,000 Miles (170,000 km) or 102 Months.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
I've read that the 4.0 has a timing belt and is an interference engine. I don't yet know how often the belt should be replaced.
An interference engine can have a timing chain. 3.3L and 3.8L are interference engines, but have timing chains.
Interference Engines – Complete List

·
Registered
182 Posts
True, my 3.6 liter Pentastar has a timing chain and is an interference engine.

I feel pretty lucky, I've never owned a van with an engine which used a belt. Though there's nothing wrong with timing belts from what I've seen.

·
Registered
918 Posts
True, my 3.6 liter Pentastar has a timing chain and is an interference engine.

I feel pretty lucky, I've never owned a van with an engine which used a belt. Though there's nothing wrong with timing belts from what I've seen.
Other than you get to spend an extra $800 to get one replaced at 100K .

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had six vans, one car, and one bus in the last 41 years and have never had to change a timing chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts