The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and not on a hot date either. never replaced one of these before. anybody know what gives out on these do they burn out ? do they have brushes that wear out ? i looked on ebay for one. do the ones on ebay come with everything thats needed as i dont want to do it again twice. is there only one version used on the 94's or ? what about the wiring going to it ? do the connectors crack ? is it best to replace it all at once ? thanks much

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,620 Posts
and not on a hot date either. never replaced one of these before. anybody know what gives out on these do they burn out ? do they have brushes that wear out ? i looked on ebay for one. do the ones on ebay come with everything thats needed as i dont want to do it again twice. is there only one version used on the 94's or ? what about the wiring going to it ? do the connectors crack ? is it best to replace it all at once ? thanks much
First time I ever see someone asking this question on a fuel pump. :oops:

Don't worry about it, just replace the whole unit, you don't want a fire inside your fuel tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replace the whole unit ? check i guess i shouldnt worry about the wiring harness ? but if i run into a problem with that i'll be sure to come back here and whine some more. seeing that they dont sell these separately for nothing ? what was that about first time question ? dont answer all at once. ill be waiting.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,620 Posts
replace the whole unit ? check i guess i shouldnt worry about the wiring harness ? but if i run into a problem with that i'll be sure to come back here and whine some more. seeing that they dont sell these separately for nothing ? what was that about first time question ? dont answer all at once. ill be waiting.
Guess if you search hard enough, you'll find the proper brushes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not getting to far on this situation especially from unknown member with vague answers. DOH !

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
I discovered there are/were basically two different electric motor pump units used throughout all cars made across the entire globe. At least as far as I could determine for cars sold in the US. I reused everything in my pump/sending unit except a replacement pump/motor. It lasted over 10 years in my '91 before driving it to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fuel pumps for these vans are complete units that include the pickup, level sensor, filter, pump, wiring, etc. The annoying part is dropping the tank out of the vehicle, but once you have the tank on the ground the pump assembly is pretty much plug-and-play.

The fuel pumps in these vans are best replaced as complete units, in my opinion. It would really suck to get the whole job done only for it to fail in a week because you tried to save a few bucks by cobbling together pieces. Plus, stuff like filters, screens, sending units, and plumbing can wear, clog, or degrade over time.

However, I do recommend hanging onto your old pump until you get the new one completely installed, just in case. Saved my bacon when I fumbled putting my fuel tank back up in the van, dropping the thing and snapping one of the fittings. Just a piece of plastic with a press-in gasket, so I was able to pull that off my old unit.

Also, if you can, have a helper when dropping and re-attaching the tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuel pumps for these vans are complete units that include the pickup, level sensor, filter, pump, wiring, etc. The annoying part is dropping the tank out of the vehicle, but once you have the tank on the ground the pump assembly is pretty much plug-and-play.

The fuel pumps in these vans are best replaced as complete units, in my opinion. It would really suck to get the whole job done only for it to fail in a week because you tried to save a few bucks by cobbling together pieces. Plus, stuff like filters, screens, sending units, and plumbing can wear, clog, or degrade over time.

However, I do recommend hanging onto your old pump until you get the new one completely installed, just in case. Saved my bacon when I fumbled putting my fuel tank back up in the van, dropping the thing and snapping one of the fittings. Just a piece of plastic with a press-in gasket, so I was able to pull that off my old unit.

Also, if you can, have a helper when dropping and re-attaching the tank.
finished this over 2 months ago. should have posted that sooner. did it all myself. almost killed me especially getting the goose neck lined up in the grommet again. trying to put it in the back of my mind and forget it. what a nightmare thanks all for any advice. helper ? right ? God hates me. dont know why ?

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
When I did mine the $200 price tag for the whole unit was out of the question. I only spent $300 to go get and tow home the '91. I had to rebuild the tranmsission before I could use it. How much did you have to spend these days for a new pump and sender ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts