The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 Anniversary model van sometimes studders, quivers, & shakes, just a little, when put in reverse! Anyone else notice this? Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2011 T&C acted like this. Annoying, but just lived with it.

My 2019 Caravan does not act this way.

Search for "van shudder" on the forum, and you should get a few posts about it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,081 Posts
Search for "van shudder" on the forum, and you should get a few posts about it.

You can also search for "van studders", but not sure if you are going to get any search results.

Worth a try because, if you get search results, that would be related to your exact problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you have the six speed transmission, just suck it up because the dealership will tell you they can’t fix it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1. Check fluid level. Low fluid can cause shudder.
2. Have you had the fluid/filter changed? Bad/wrong fluid can cause shudder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a 2015 Caravan that studdered or "shuddered" when backing my trailer up an inclined driveway. My 2019 Caravan does it as well. It is a combination of soft motor mounts, torque converter tuning, and throttle tuning.

Try backing up two footed, to cure it. One foot on brake, one on gas. Slightly raise the rpm's and modulate the brake pedal to control speed. This preloads the engine mounts and stops the drivetrain from bouncing back and forth. That trick has worked on my two vans.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
I'll have to try that. I always thought it was slipping, so I roll back down and get a little run at it (uphill driveway). These transmissions blow out reverse first if low on fluid. I haven't done any maintenance to my transmission yet with 198,000 miles on it (bought it with 189K) and who knows what's been done to it before? I have a filter, gasket, and a pan with drain plug ready and waiting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll have to try that. I always thought it was slipping, so I roll back down and get a little run at it (uphill driveway). These transmissions blow out reverse first if low on fluid. I haven't done any maintenance to my transmission yet with 198,000 miles on it (bought it with 189K) and who knows what's been done to it before? I have a filter, gasket, and a pan with drain plug ready and waiting.
198k, never serviced transmission, wondering why it's shuddering..................

Wonder if there's a connection between failing to do proper maintenance and things not working right?

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
I haven't serviced because engine started making noise and I thought I had a bearing going bad. Dropped the pan to change rod bearings, got it together - still making a thudding noise and mildly shaking. Knowing the problem is deeper in the engine, I bought another van for the drivetrain. Leaving the transmission maintenance for when I pull the engine, because torque converter will be removed anyway and I'll have to drain tranny fluid.

My 3rd gen van always did this too, and I DID change fluid and filter in it twice. The line pressure is just too low in reverse, and the clutches slip. For hills, you have to get a little run at it and maintain momentum. For backing up a heavy trailer, you just have to baby it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My '12 has done that since new. service manager when it was new said that was characteristic. He was a straighter shooter than most.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't serviced because engine started making noise and I thought I had a bearing going bad. Dropped the pan to change rod bearings, got it together - still making a thudding noise and mildly shaking. Knowing the problem is deeper in the engine, I bought another van for the drivetrain. Leaving the transmission maintenance for when I pull the engine, because torque converter will be removed anyway and I'll have to drain tranny fluid.

My 3rd gen van always did this too, and I DID change fluid and filter in it twice. The line pressure is just too low in reverse, and the clutches slip. For hills, you have to get a little run at it and maintain momentum. For backing up a heavy trailer, you just have to baby it.
30-50k is a proper interval. If you're running almost 200k on fluid and filter, it's no wonder all your vans have shuddered.
This has NEVER occurred in any of our 20+ vans over the years and we've taken all of them over 200k miles.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
I got the 3rd gen with 175,000 miles on it. Right away I did a pan drop and filter/fluid change, and tried to reseal the differential cover because it had leaked all of the fluid out. I tried making a silicone gasket for it (differential) and it didn't work. Bolts loosened and it leaked for a few years, and I kept topping up the fluid. Changed the filter/fluid again at 200,000 miles and fluid was still clean. In fall 2017 I drained fluid, fixed the leaking differential cover, replaced filter and deleted the radiator cooling lines and ran only a 4th gen transmission fluid cooler, and refilled with 7 quarts of ATF+4, at about 225,000 miles. Regular change interval is 60,000 miles and I did WELL before that. If there was wear before that, it's not my fault.

We have an inclined driveway/hill to park on, and I like to back up and park. These vans will not climb in reverse from a dead start. Even our 2011 Sienna has to get a run. Well, it doesn't shudder but in my mind it seems like there is some slippage so I'd rather avoid it/any future problems by not stopping halfway up the driveway and restarting. Backing up on flat ground, or even a mild incline is no problem.

I can't remember if our 2011 DGC ever had problems. My wife always drives it up the driveway and parks. We barely had it for two years and it was totalled. I can't stand backing out onto the street. I have to see if someone is coming around the bend as I enter the street (from either way) because we're on a T-junction and I go kinda straight to the leg of the "T" as someone comes flying around the bend and enters it at speed. People get pissed when I roll down the street at 20mph and they come up on me doing 30, and I won't speed up for them. I'd rather see them coming and let them go ahead of me if possible.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,081 Posts
30-50k is a proper interval. If you're running almost 200k on fluid and filter, it's no wonder all your vans have shuddered.
This has NEVER occurred in any of our 20+ vans over the years and we've taken all of them over 200k miles.

Not really, just a waste of resources.

I never do ATF change on any of my vehicles, never have those transmission problems people who change ATF have.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not really, just a waste of resources.

I never do ATF change on any of my vehicles, never have those transmission problems people who change ATF have.
I suppose you never change your oil either? I mean oil sees contaminants and heat breakdown, but it doesn't get the extreme pressures that trans fluid does, so why would you need to change that?

Good for you, you've managed to get lucky, not changing a fluid that sees heat/contaminants/pressure breakdown on a daily basis is just not bright.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,081 Posts
I suppose you never change your oil either? I mean oil sees contaminants and heat breakdown, but it doesn't get the extreme pressures that trans fluid does, so why would you need to change that?

Good for you, you've managed to get lucky, not changing a fluid that sees heat/contaminants/pressure breakdown on a daily basis is just not bright.
Actually, I do change engine oil at least once a month.

Drive a lot, fully loaded (fully loaded trailer).

Never had a transmission failure at all. Well, just once, my transmission exploded while I was pulling a heavy trailer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually, I do change engine oil at least once a month.
So it makes sense you need to change your oil but you can't wrap your head around changing your trans fluid........Both see thermal breakdown, both see contaminants which fill filters, trans fluid gets the addition of extreme pressures, why would one need to be done and not the other?!?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts