The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 town and country with 61000 miles will start then quit right away, then it will start and keep running.
Once in awhile at adle speed on streets it will run rough.
Highway speeds it runs great.
What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2011 town and country with 61000 miles will start then quit right away, then it will start and keep running.
Once in awhile at adle speed on streets it will run rough.
Highway speeds it runs great.
What should I be looking for?
I've experienced the engine quiting on my 2014 caravan. It was caused by very weak battery and another time loose battery terminals. So start with battery and check terminals.

Runs rough sometimes at idle, I would check the spark plugs and wires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've experienced the engine quiting on my 2014 caravan. It was caused by very weak battery and another time loose battery terminals. So start with battery and check terminals.

Runs rough sometimes at idle, I would check the spark plugs and wires.
The battery is newer and terminals are tight, I was wondering more on a fuel injector or pump issue?

·
Registered
623 Posts
see if it still does it if you cycle the key a few times first, allowing the fuel pump to run and prime the system without the engine starting

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
TIPM fuel relay can cause starting and stalling issues. But I'm not sure about it causing rough idle. You can build or buy a temporary bypass to test it though. If you confirm the TIPM is the issue there is a more permanent broad you can have installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TIPM fuel relay can cause starting and stalling issues. But I'm not sure about it causing rough idle. You can build or buy a temporary bypass to test it though. If you confirm the TIPM is the issue there is a more permanent broad you can have installed.
I suppose I wouldn’t be able to test for a code for that relay

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to auto zone and was going to get a starter relay fuse but he told me not to, said to just switch a couple of the fuses around that are the same.
Put a can of sea foam in also, it’s been good since then

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Went to auto zone and was going to get a starter relay fuse but he told me not to, said to just switch a couple of the fuses around that are the same.
Put a can of sea foam in also, it’s been good since then
The fuse is not the issue I linked to. The relay inside the TIPM is prone to failure and is not easily replaced. You may not have that issue at all but if you do changing fuses won't help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The fuel pump relay is internal that fails. There was a recall but just not for the minivan even though it is the same issue as the Durango and others that were recalled for this issue. I guess there was not enough complaints for the minivan for it to become a recall. The dealership has a external relay kit you can buy. If you are capable of splicing wires, you can go that route. My 2011 started with starting and then just shutting off and then it got worse where it would not start anymore. I did the bypass and it worked and then bought the external fuel pump relay kit. It has been good every since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 did exactly the same thing. It started with a few long starts on occasion. Then eventually never started on the first push but always started on the second. Quick tip: If its cranking and not starting, push the button again to stop it. I did connect the bypass jumper with diagnostic light and got a flicker on the led but no extended outage. I suspect that meant the fuel pump and relay was OK, but the results were inconclusive. I never did figure it out before it got t-boned and replaced with a 2016.

One thing i was researching was the crank position sensors. They may be the culprit. As I remember, they looked like a challenge to change and i figured i'd just keep pushing the button twice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fuel pump relay is internal that fails. There was a recall but just not for the minivan even though it is the same issue as the Durango and others that were recalled for this issue. I guess there was not enough complaints for the minivan for it to become a recall. The dealership has a external relay kit you can buy. If you are capable of splicing wires, you can go that route. My 2011 started with starting and then just shutting off and then it got worse where it would not start anymore. I did the bypass and it worked and then bought the external fuel pump relay kit. It has been good every since.
It’s been runnng good since I put a can of sea foam in and switched a couple of fuses around to see if one was going bad.
Don’t know why, when I go over rough roads it does run a little rough so I’m thinking it’s an electrical type issue somewhere
Just hope I’m not out in the middle of no where if it quits

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my van I started having some issues a few months ago and it finally died yesterday. I went to a local store (Princess Auto) and bought the same fuse holders that I have seen used on the internet to make this bypass cable. Installed in the rear power outlet fuse and the pump relay fuse spots and it worked. I read there is a kit sold by Dodge for the Ram and I will probably get this for a permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Mauger, the Dodge kit is not something you are likely to be able to buy. Dealers are not only able to sell it to people with a recalled vehicle. Vertical visions has a plug and play kit however for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mauger, the Dodge kit is not something you are likely to be able to buy. Dealers are not only able to sell it to people with a recalled vehicle. Vertical visions has a plug and play kit however for a very reasonable price.
That's not great to hear. Thanks for the recommendation. ** found the MOPAR kit in quite a few places. Part number is CBWPR091AA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts