The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2007 chrysler town and country and i just repaced the starter. But it is not starting the battery is good. It just makes a clicking noise. Is there anyth8ng i need to do to reset things to get it started?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,573 Posts

Clicking noise means one of the battery cables is loose. Or, the power cable at the starter is loose.

Worst case scenario engine locked.

Start with the cables.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
432 Posts
New doesn’t always mean good
Ain't that the truth. New and rebuilt starters, alternators, and pretty much every other part today are often either junk straight out of the box or don't last long. I always have the parts store test them before I bring them home.

·
Super Moderator
27,249 Posts
Good battery means what? It may be good enough to run some lights but lack sufficient juice to run the starter. Sounds like weak battery or poor connections

·
Registered
432 Posts
Still would like to know the reason why the starter was replaced??????
Well, maybe because it quit working. That's when I tend to replace mine. ;)

I'd make sure the battery is fully charged. It wouldn't hurt to take it and have it load tested, too. Most parts stores will do it for you.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,533 Posts
Town and Country vans usually have the sentry key system. If the chipped key isn't sensed, you'll get 5 quick starts/stalls and then no start. Won't even crank. Is that what happened?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Town and Country vans usually have the sentry key system. If the chipped key isn't sensed, you'll get 5 quick starts/stalls and then no start. Won't even crank. Is that what happened?
It doesn't sound like it if the solenoid is clicking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It doesn't sound like it if the solenoid is clicking.
What I am trying to understand is was the problem in fact the starter, I mean if the problem was that it would not start,and replaced the starter the problem is the van still won’t start,” right “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
What I am trying to understand is was the problem in fact the starter, I mean if the problem was that it would not start,and replaced the starter the problem is the van still won’t start,” right “

Huh?o_O

I'm guessing that it just wouldn't turn the engine over anymore (the starter's job, BTW ;)) , but until we hear back from the OP, we won't know that for sure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Huh?o_O

I'm guessing that it just wouldn't turn the engine over anymore (the starter's job, BTW ;)) , but until we hear back from the OP, we won't know that for sure.
I mean maybe the starter wasn’t bad and the problem is something else

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Put 12 volts directly to the starter and see if it cranks.

If you still have the old starter, and with someone holding it down on a bench, see if it turns when putting 12 volts to it.

Be aware, you're engine may be seized and won't turn. Later tonight, and with the headlights on, try to start car. If the lights go dim, the starter is loaded and trying to crank, but the engine is really, really resisting.

·
Super Moderator
27,249 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ain't that the truth. New and rebuilt starters, alternators, and pretty much every other part today are often either junk straight out of the box or don't last long. I always have the parts store test them before I bring them home.
I had the store test the starter after taking it out of my van. they said it was good. i don't think so was my reply, especially after trying to jump it after taking the starter
out of the van with jumper cables. So i bought a starter anyway. put it in and the car started up.

I had another started test and they said it was good. i just didn't feel it was good. took it to another one of their other stores. they tested it and said it was a bad starter.
so they gave me the another started because first under warranity. put it in car and it worked.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Next time you have a starter that won't crank, give it a love tap or two with a hammer. That will usually make it work... at least temporarily, and then you will know it's definitely bad.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,573 Posts
She posted and hasn't returned to check her post.

More likely her problem was fixed.

·
Super Moderator
27,249 Posts
She posted and hasn't returned to check her post.

More likely her problem was fixed.
No, I think your picture scared her away. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts