The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Crap. I'm going to have to step up my game.
Can't have someone take my Home Depot Crown.

I earned that FAIR and SQUARE!
In case someone is still reading this thread, here's an update.

I got all the doors done. Aluminum plate + STP. I also added a layer of STP on the inside of the top dash panel now. The first time when I closed the doors was fairly impressive, old "vault" metaphor came to mind, and all sounds from my garage were gone, instantly and completely.

Dash 5.25" Focals and front door 6.5" Ground Zeros are now installed and cabled properly. I couldn't resist temptation to hook up the power and try them out. Donald Fagen's I.G.Y. and Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall sounded good. Damn good. There's some equalization to be done but it's already fairly close.

There's still some more cabling to do. Rear speakers and a number of lighter/USB plug contacts throughout the van, in rear gloveboxes and center console. I also got a 20kg bag of heavy mineral wool and a few rolls of different trashbags to stuff the rear enclosures.

All in all it begins to look like a proper van again. Most of the welding is done, cooling/HVAC system is refurbished with new parts, exhaust, catalytic converter and exhaust manifolds are new/refurbished and more or less everything has received a thorough once-over. I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive next week and have the MOT done.

Here are a few pictures, nothing much but they may give an idea how the soundproofing was done:

Passenger side front door, some STP in place:
View attachment 57653

Driver's side front door, aluminum plates installed:
View attachment 57654

Driver's side front door, STP installed:
View attachment 57655

Driver's side front door, details:
View attachment 57656

Okay.. I Admit. I am a BIT jelly. Good JOB BTW!
I'm going to share this on DIYMA.

Please keep posting about your Audio build. Its like the one thing I always look forward to seeing on these forums.
Since your Euro, you probably have a good Microphone or Zoom microphone for audio samples right? Do you have a Youtube Channel?

Love to hear the results you got!
I am POSTED!

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Please keep posting about your Audio build. Its like the one thing I always look forward to seeing on these forums.
Since your Euro, you probably have a good Microphone or Zoom microphone for audio samples right? Do you have a Youtube Channel?
Thanks! :)

My ancient YouTube channels have sat unused for ages and I don't have acceptable audio recording equipment. Pretty much the only mic I have right now is the Behringer calibration mic & XLR phantom power unit I used to straighten out the frequency response of the setup. Fortunately the Kenwood KDC-BT53U head unit has somewhat accurate built-in graphic (not parametric, damn) equalizer and delay features, even though the whole calibration had to be done manually.

REW and TrueRTA printouts were pretty good after all was said and done, and I added just a touch (+2...3dB) attenuation between 45 and 160Hz. Just for comfort, to counteract the effect of road noise at highway speeds.

All in all, the van is quiet now and considering that I chose relatively basic drivers, the audio system turned out pretty good. Proper sound insulation and "boxing" the enclosures makes a huge difference. I would've liked to use either a vintage Dynaudio or one of the Focal K2 KR component kits I've had laying around for quite some time but unfortunately they're all 6½" and I wanted to use the front door mounting points for woofers with higher excursion.

We had planned to 600-mile road trip to Lapland for Easter and I really looked forward to it. To a degree that I already had gathered a playlist, from Pink Floyd to Rammstein and First Aid Kit to Donald Fagen (much to the annoyance of my family), and now we're stuck at home because of Corona travel restrictions.

Hmm. With this much spare time in my hands I may have to look into finding a recording mic now.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts