The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought at '97 Grand Voyager and in '99 I made some interior changes to camperize it. I removed the middle and rear seats and the both side panels in the rear. I installed a new carpet front to back. (Had to take out the front seats temporarily. ) I removed the headliner and installed i inch foam panels between the roof beams to improve insulation. I built and installed a narrow set of shelves (window high) on the right hand side from the side door to within 6 inches of the rear opening. I mounted an small trailer size sink in the top shelf with a pump connected to a removable water bottle secured in the rear corner of the shelving. I ran a thin plastic drain line though a hole in the floor under the sink to a holding bottle squeezed between the spare tire and the rear bumper. I bolted a piece of 2x4 on edge to the left hand side just above the wheel well to support a plywood 6' 4" bed with two legs. Leaving a passage way of about 18 inches between the edge of the bed and the shelving.

Additonal changes: 2 swivel, airoplane type lights above the driver and passenger seats...back up light mounted to underside of rear bumper and controlled by a lighted switch on dashboard...another swivel light mounted in rear ceiling area above the head of the bed...tiny red light (switched) on dashboard that does nothing except flash when I park.

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did a great job of fixing your van. I like the mods. I only have one question?

tiny red light (switched) on dashboard that does nothing except flash when I park.
WHY THIS??? Is it to make people think there is an alarm on it? :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the flashing red light is the poor man's alarm. It weems to work on the theory that the car thief will think, "Why take a chance on this one when there are other cars without what might go off if I open a door.?" There is no way to know if it works or not. I seldom park in high risk areas. Robert at Whistler

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Chryler's mistake on the newer cars is NOT putting a red/flashing red light on the dash, visible to all. Chrysler vehicles are easy to steal if they do not have the disable ignition on it, but they have to break into the vehicle first to find out. Then you still have your vehicle, BUT IT IS DAMAGED. :lovesic

My 2001 mini van does not have it :( , but the 2004 Pacifica does. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
A camper Caravan sounds interesting.
What do you mean you removed the side panels? When you put in new carpet, did you rip out the old carpet? Did you keep the seats in storage? What did you anchor the shelves to?

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
The way I figure it is that if someone wants a 12 year old Voyager, then they have some more serious issues to deal with than just being a car thief. I'm more worried about my stereo and my instruments, when I have to leave them in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I had my Supra broken into several years ago. The thief pulled the door handle off, ripped my console out, stole the stereo, cut the main wiring harness completely in half (about 100 wires), stole my cassette tape collection, and then proceeded to help himself to my ashtray full of pennies.

It was a black car, parked in a dark alley. Good target, dumb driver ;)

The vehicle parked in front of me was a friend of mine, a firebird with a dummy red flashing light mounted in the dash. The thief did not attempt to break into that car. I installed a flashing red light shortly thereafter.

The costs associated with the theft were quite substantial. $1400 'valued' factory stereo, which I then replaced with a real nice aftermarket head unit, about $400 for the door paint job, $75 for the dash bezel, and the real kicker was the Toyota replacement ashtray valued at $250. Only had about 3 to 4 dollars in pennies in it. My 30 cassette tapes were a loss, as most insurance only cover one or two maximum (unless its a cd-changer etc..).

Moral of this story.... a $3 flashing light is worth every penny :tup

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Moral of this story.... a $3 flashing light is worth every penny 
I agree, as alot of time is it a deterent to a simple break in and vandalism/theft from interior of vehicle.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
Well, mainly because of AMD Rules' story, I went out and got myself a red LED today and a wire tap. I tapped into the wiring for the cigarette lighter under the dash, and ran some 18 gauge speaker wire up to the corner of the dash. This is my car alarm:

Net cost: $4.37 USD from Radio Shack. The most dangerous area I park in is on campus, and there are enough people around that the risk of setting off a car alarm would probably be enough to deter a thief from breaking into my car.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
:tup Good plan !

Does it flash ? Don't forget if you don't drive for a looooong time....there's a 'potential' for battery drain.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
Yes it flashes. It does park on the street and since my city has alternating side street parking, it does at least have to be moved once a day. Usually it gets driven enough though that I don't think it will be a concern.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Originally posted by AMD Rules@Mar 22 2004, 12:02 AM
:tup Good plan !

Does it flash ? Don't forget if you don't drive for a looooong time....there's a 'potential' for battery drain.
Don't worry, a single red LED flashing will do NOTHING to a car battery.

I leave my CB in my caravan on 24/7 with no effect.

I have a little penlight flashlight with a white LED (the highest current drawing LED) and it will run 150 hours on three AAAA batteries.

Believe me, your car battery will lose more juice from remembering the radio's freuqencies and clock than a blinking red LED.

Chas :blink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
While the red light may be nice, I'm all about a decent steering wheel lock.

My generation 3 was stolen out of my apartment parking lot one evening. The only reason I was able to get it back quickly was because the thieves hit a speed bump going too quickly and punched a hole in the transmission pan.

I'd suggest removing the door panel and epoxying the handles to the inside sheet metal, so it can't be removed so easily. Of course, then they'd just do even more sheet metal damage, but either way, you need a new door skin, and with the handle expoxied in place, they might not get away with your vehicle.

I never thought I'd be thankful that the stupid transmission pan hangs so low.

On the third hand, if I am ever so inclined as to steal one of these vans, I'll do the decen thing and smash the glass on the sliding door. It's cheap ($30) and easy (a couple bolts) to replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts