The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says. AC has not worked for 2+ years so I don’t think it could be that. It rained for several days and stopped about 3 days ago but I haven’t noticed the wetness up until now.

Would a wiggly wiper cowl cause water to flow into the van like this? The windshield sealing doesn’t make good contact with the glass but shouldn’t it still drain to the outside? And talk about electrical hazard with the wiring sitting in the puddle 😬

·
Registered
354 Posts
As title says. AC has not worked for 2+ years so I don’t think it could be that. It rained for several days and stopped about 3 days ago but I haven’t noticed the wetness up until now.

Would a wiggly wiper cowl cause water to flow into the van like this? The windshield sealing doesn’t make good contact with the glass but shouldn’t it still drain to the outside? And talk about electrical hazard with the wiring sitting in the puddle

View attachment 62810
It’s the back black thing where the ac drain go’s I got some black dap roofing sealer at Walmart and just smoots it all around it and never had a problem since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,094 Posts
If the windshield was ever replaced, it could be from a poor sealing job.

You might have a missing or mis-positioned vapor barrier in the door, too.

Also, inspect or seal the roof seam (under the black strip, along the top). Any crack in the body filler (from flexing) will admit water.
The first place that the cracks occur is near the sliding doors. We have sealed ours twice, over the years (with Flowable Windshield Sealant)

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
Have you checked the wiper well drains? They sometimes get clogged with nature's debris sending rain water into the cabin through the HVAC. Drain hoses under wiper assembly

·
Registered
754 Posts
Given that the door gasket appears all wet, I'd be wondering if the water came in from the door? I've never looked on our vans, but most doors have drain holes in the bottom to allow water to drain out; however, if these drain holes become clogged the water can back up inside the door and end up dumping out into the interior. Would think our doors would be constructed similarly... might check to see if any such drain holes are clogged.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given that the door gasket appears all wet, I'd be wondering if the water came in from the door? I've never looked on our vans, but most doors have drain holes in the bottom to allow water to drain out; however, if these drain holes become clogged the water can back up inside the door and end up dumping out into the interior. Would think our doors would be constructed similarly... might check to see if any such drain holes are clogged.
Drain holes seem okay and so does the weather stripping on the door but that’s a good thing you noticed. Later this week I will remove the wiper assembly to see if there’s any leakage or clogs there and update

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you checked the wiper well drains? They sometimes get clogged with nature's debris sending rain water into the cabin through the HVAC. Drain hoses under wiper assembly
Yes, definitely take a look at the cowl drains on either side. These were more of a problem on 3rd gen vans because they were an inch or less in diameter. They made them at least twice as big on 4th gens so they don't clog up as often. Still easy enough to check.

My wife's 2006 T&C had a similar water leak that would flood the passenger floor on heavy rains that took me a while to find. Open the hood and locate the A/C condensate drain. Go up a few inches and then over a few inches toward the center of the vehicle. You will see a bulge in the bulkhead (aka firewall) with a tube like a piece of vacuum hose coming out the bottom. This is the drain for a plenum area for the fresh air intake to the HVAC system. If it is plugged water backs up into the HVAC housing and runs into the van around the blower motor area. Give this tube a pull to remove it and its grommet.

I never knew this drain existed until I found it was the source of my wife's deluge of a leak. Of course the root cause is that her van like many others is missing the weatherstrip between the cowl grille and windshield. This allows leaves and other tree debris to get under there and eventually muck things up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My "soaking wet passenger floor" issue was in fact the A/C condenser drain. There was some kind of lip piece, maybe plastic, that had worn away, and the condensation drips were clinging along the bottom and back into the firewall somehow. I attached an 8 inch piece of rubber hose and pointed it down. It has been draining out of this hose to this day and no more wet floorboard. This was probably 10 years ago on my 2006 T&C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove a Venture van that had a flaky a/c compressor (and possibly a drain issue) and it dripped on the floor constantly, so it may be possible, even if the a/c is not working.

We had a 2000 Caravan that had plugged drains under the wipers (submerged the wiper motor for months) from when my son borrowed it for several months and parked under a pine tree. I hunted all over for the problem. Even asked the Dodge dealership about it and rep didn't know (I didn't have the van with me at the time). Took it into our usual small shop and within five minutes the mechanic found the drain lines and unplugged them - they looked like 1/2 to 3/4 inch plastic tubing they wrap wires with, so I hadn't identified them as drains. (Of course, a couple months later, the wiper motor failed.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to try all of these suggestions, but for the last three days I’ve been stuck trying to remove these seized wiper arms. Hitting the nut with a hammer and pulling and prying does absolutely nothing paired with a daily shot of WD40.

I can see the small tube that Val mentioned but can’t reach it without the wiper assembly gone, and the two large plastic drains don’t look clogged as far as I can tell from under the assembly so I will have to keep yanking these things until I can check

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drove a Venture van that had a flaky a/c compressor (and possibly a drain issue) and it dripped on the floor constantly, so it may be possible, even if the a/c is not working.

We had a 2000 Caravan that had plugged drains under the wipers (submerged the wiper motor for months) from when my son borrowed it for several months and parked under a pine tree. I hunted all over for the problem. Even asked the Dodge dealership about it and rep didn't know (I didn't have the van with me at the time). Took it into our usual small shop and within five minutes the mechanic found the drain lines and unplugged them - they looked like 1/2 to 3/4 inch plastic tubing they wrap wires with, so I hadn't identified them as drains. (Of course, a couple months later, the wiper motor failed.)
I have a 2000 Grand Voyager myself and had the same problem for years! It is clogged drains that is causing the backup The reason why the drains are getting clogged in my case was that when they replaced the windshield, they didn't reinstall the seal that runs along the top of the wiper tray and contacts the windshield, keeping heavy debris from getting down into the tray and washing into the drains. I remember looking at the windshield when I got it done and said where's the seal and there it was in the garbage. I pulled it out but never did put it on because it's self adhesive. I've used foam sealing tape, which works and does the job of keeping the leaves and the pine needles and all the other trash out. Dry floors from then on!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, definitely take a look at the cowl drains on either side. These were more of a problem on 3rd gen vans because they were an inch or less in diameter. They made them at least twice as big on 4th gens so they don't clog up as often. Still easy enough to check.

My wife's 2006 T&C had a similar water leak that would flood the passenger floor on heavy rains that took me a while to find. Open the hood and locate the A/C condensate drain. Go up a few inches and then over a few inches toward the center of the vehicle. You will see a bulge in the bulkhead (aka firewall) with a tube like a piece of vacuum hose coming out the bottom. This is the drain for a plenum area for the fresh air intake to the HVAC system. If it is plugged water backs up into the HVAC housing and runs into the van around the blower motor area. Give this tube a pull to remove it and its grommet.

I never knew this drain existed until I found it was the source of my wife's deluge of a leak. Of course the root cause is that her van like many others is missing the weatherstrip between the cowl grille and windshield. This allows leaves and other tree debris to get under there and eventually muck things up.
BINGO

Got the wipers and assembly off finally and gave this hose a small pull and it came out with about 2 cups of water that spilled with it. Thank you so much for this as I would have never found this myself

·
Registered
6 Posts

All good thoughts and worth checking, but I think it's the same problem I had on our 2005 Gr Caravan.

If I had the skills I'd track down a post from 5-6 years ago that describes what I think is your problem. Once you take off the wiper tray you'll be looking at the cabin air intake box that runs across the van under the windshield. There is a lip which extends out over the wiper tray and is supposed to direct water coming down the windshield out into the tray where it can find its way to the two drain hoses (left & right), In heavy downpours so much water is coming down that it attaches to the lip and runs back into the air intake box. When enough water comes in it will overcome the internal lips in the box and run down the inside of the firewall on the passenger side. It just so happens that it runs down right about where that A/C condensate drain goes through the firewall. If you go around a left hand corner just after this occurs you will get a fresh rush of water as it all sloshes over to the passenger side.

The solution is to put a bigger edge on that lip to keep water from remaining attached and running under. I tried to attach some aluminum angle with double sided foam tape. This worked, but was a big pain because of all the interferences you have to work around. In the really tough spots I just stuck the foam tape under there. In the end it all worked. My 2003 is just starting to have this problem and I think I'm going to try just putting foam tape or adhesive backed foam strips under there. It does seem to be related to what condition your rubber trim is in between the windshield and the tray. They shrink badly over time and I've seen many vans that no longer have theirs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts