The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it’s an over heated ignition coil pack.

Things are going in life on that has me angry and it just felt good to beat on the van.
Pulling a light trailer, over a bridge, some out of townie jack bag in a blackout Tahoe decided he didn’t wasn’t going to give way, speed up, slow down... that arse just had to be in my way. I’ll deal with that later.

I arrived at my destination with gusto, and as I was approaching, the engine started to crap out then stalled. I had enough momentum to make it close enough to unload the laundry set, and after I secured the trailer, it started right up. As I was backing down driveway stumble, then stall.

So while the coolant is in normal range, a lot of heat off the cross over pipe and such the coil is hot hot to touch, but looks ok.
This is the third time in two years this has happened and was believing it was cured for good after fuel pump replacement. IIRC, always happened after a ‘high performance‘ run.

I'm sitting roadside with the hood up awaiting cool down. I hate unreliable machines and for the most part she has been a gem.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crank sensor Levy?

So while it is hot and acting up, spray back of trans bell housing with water garden hose and see if it will start then?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, after a rest interval and cool down, the van started and drove 4.7 miles like normal.

Now, how do I go about finding out what it was that caused this engine non performance.

If you can imagine a scene from Mad Max, a high performance chase (or retreat) is the very worst time for the engine to get wonky…

I remember the second from last time it happened, again, it was following a brisk interstate 95 interval and then after exiting onto a two lane highway, I experienced rough running with some dead pedal coasting and perhaps even a restart at a traffic light. That time I made it 8 miles to the fuel station by the house, where I left it running during top off.. that was the first week in April last year. Been fine since (although I R&R fuel pump since then due to leaking in tank pressure regulator)

hmmm??
I was hoping the fuel pump took care of it, never to return.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I could give the coil pack a water bath to cool also. All that crap is meant to get wet...

·
Super Moderator
23,347 Posts
Great that you got back.

Sounds like a sporadic problem one might have with the old type coils of yesteryear.

·
fix it if you can
4,888 Posts
If all of these "bucking" episodes happened at light throttle / idle and you have an EGR on that van, that would be my prime suspect...
However, it could be a whole range of things - did you key dance when it didn't start - that's the only time you'll be able to diagnose the cause without a parts cannon.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You can get a can of starting fluid (ether), and see if the van will start and run for a few seconds on ether.

You can also use the ether to cool down a hot component. Just don't start a fire!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all of these "bucking" episodes happened at light throttle / idle and you have an EGR on that van, that would be my prime suspect...
However, it could be a whole range of things - did you key dance when it didn't start - that's the only time you'll be able to diagnose the cause without a parts cannon.
Not and EGR machine. Thank you.
I wouldn't exactly call it "bucking", rather, like a weakness in combustion. Like trying to get a snow blower with last years fuel started
Never threw a MIL that I noticed. I suppose I could *tango and see if she steps on my toe (or anyone else's) - confesses a code.

That is a real concern of trying to evade a threat and having this stuff daunt me.... Not that I have ever had to evade or pursue, but I'm still young... (54) and the night is still early ;)
My point being, I demand my equipment be able to handle most anything I will throw at it, and this just aint cuttin it.

Thank you for your input atoman, appreciate it, thank you all.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You can get a can of starting fluid (ether), and see if the van will start and run for a few seconds on ether.

You can also use the ether to cool down a hot component. Just don't start a fire!
Good point too marvinstockman, rule out fuel starvation as one of the basic three... As I read in a previous post today, I'll just AssUme that it is not a compression issue.

I suppose if I had an HEI spark tester and a spare ignition wire I could assess the spark. I really think it is heat related.

Dunno if anyone remembers but I sent my injectors out to Coeur D'Alene for service and flow testing. At that time I inspected the FI harness and then added a layer of metalized exhaust tape as an additional heat insulation. Perhaps it is not doing the job I hoped for, but it is interesting that it goes away after a cool down and it starts right up and runs like Sunday morning.

The crank sensor, Levy suggested cooling it with water bath. Its that one that reads the flex plate, huh? Does it get a lot of heat?

Lets say it is an overheated coil pack. Is it the coil pack or a super heated crossover pipe? Catalytic converter perhaps? I don't see any evidence of exhaust leak at the crossover gaskets. And again, no MIL.

When it runs, it is relatively smooth and growls when I stomp the pedal, it'll even spin a wheel in the rain (suppose ABS/traction control is not that great) Unless heavily loaded, it has impressive acceleration. Exhaust has a little stinky sulpher smell to it, but not really that noteworthy. Funny, I was thinking of doing a CataClean snake oil treatment just this morning...

Until this happened (again, I thought it was a non issue since pump replacement) I'd fly her across the Atlantic.

Now...:cautious:

·
fix it if you can
4,888 Posts
The "coil problems" in days of yore were usually points problems... (and there's no mechanical distributor on here)

Sulfur smell is no good - is the cat converter partially plugged? or is it running overly rich? (now might be good time to check on that injector wiring harness)

Didn't you have a fuel pressure gauge? Might want to leave it on there and see if the pressure drops as it sits when it's hot, which could indicate a leaky injector.

A little early for things to be overheating, even in FL? Have you verified that both radiator fans are running? and firewall insulation is not sagging and blocking the airflow over the top of the engine?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: 21 days later...

Uh, I'm stuck again, this time in the middle of an intersection!

The van sputtered and then died coming back from segregated shopping at Trader Joe's. They had fully stocked shelves BTW.

Was able to jump out in the busy intersection while still rolling, and pushed that momentum off to the curb.
Not wanting to waste a good opportunity pass me up, I quickly sprayed my ignition coil pack with half a 20oz bottle of H2o I had been consuming, and shortly after I got a rough start and was able to get into a parking lot but died again before I made it into a 'parking spot'. I waited about ten minutes and was able to get a start and docking was completed.

My passenger's husband was summoned, and arrived about ten minutes later, complete with an additional gallon or two of water. I poured, again on the coil for assUmed cooling and then was able to complete the drive to their house.
About 3-4 miles, and after I missed the first turn and engine began to stumble again, we did roll out on the swale, out front, under our own momentum.
I looked for where the crank sensor was located on the rear side of the transmission bell housing, and realized that my cooling water bath was probably also running down on it...

After a quick negotiation at O'Reileys (I simply asked if they could do better than $58 for a coil, got it for $36) and a $19 crank sensor. I R&R the coil pack (actually directed as their 9 year old son changed it out) and she started right up.
We made a few fresh wood fired pizza, and I drove 25 miles home without incident. (at 9pm, after 5 hours cooling, so who knows) PS, I had not been driving with gusto this time. The van stumbled, then died under normal operating parameters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts