The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 Dodge GC R/T with about 116,000 miles. It has developed a slight shimmy between about 25 mph and 40 mph. I didn't notice it until my wife mentioned it (it feels just like a undulating road), but the wife wants it fixed.

I had the wheels and tires rebalanced (they are aftermarket 18" alloy wheels, with 235 55 size tires), but shimmy remains. Wheel bearings seem fine.

I am thinking that the issue may be the driveshafts and/or CV joints. And would be preventative maintenance to replace them given miles on the van.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem was tire pressures, as Levy suggested. I finally had time to check the pressures this weekend. All four tires were greatly over inflated, at 55psi cold -- my wife had taken the van for other service a few weeks ago and they must have over filled, which is odd. Now I know to check tire pressure first. I bled the tires back to 36 psi and no shimmy. I find it odd that the service place didn't check the pressures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update - issue ended up not being over inflation but instead what looks like the separation of a belt in one of the tires, which caused a huge gash In the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Problem was tire pressures, as Levy suggested. I finally had time to check the pressures this weekend. All four tires were greatly over inflated, at 55psi cold -- my wife had taken the van for other service a few weeks ago and they must have over filled, which is odd. Now I know to check tire pressure first. I bled the tires back to 36 psi and no shimmy. I find it odd that the service place didn't check the pressures.
Woah , you're lucky they didn't blow out . most max pressures in tires for these vehicles is about 44 lbs . Must feel a "lot" better at 36 psi .

·
Registered
895 Posts
An update - issue ended up not being over inflation but instead what looks like the separation of a belt in one of the tires, which caused a huge gash In the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that looks like you hit something sharp in the road . Did you end up having to buy 2 new ones then ?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Woah , you're lucky they didn't blow out . most max pressures in tires for these

vehicles is about 44 lbs . Must feel a "lot" better at 36 psi .
Correct, that over pressure caused that damage.

55 cold, means a lot more pressure when hot.

When hot, air expands, raising the pressure, then, if hot enough, humidity in the air converts to water vapour, raising the pressure even more.

You are one lucky guy.

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
This won't work in your situation, but swapping tires from side to side (changing rotation) can get rid of the shakes sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your input. I replaced just the one damaged tire but I am looking at the other three tires carefully. I am not sure how the tires became so over-inflated, but I know now to check the pressures all of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
mtibberts
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing