The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 dodge grand caravan, 3.3 engine. Just recemtly it has started shredding the serpentine belt. I am thinkig that it is a belt alignment problem, although none of the components, alt, ps pump and idler pulleys are loose and out of position. I have checked, as best I can, witha staight edge the alignment of all the pulleys and they are all in line as near as I can tell. For some reason, when running the belt coming off of the crankshaft pulley to the ps pump pulley and up over the tensioner crawls over to the side on the pulleys and will come up tight against the rib on the outer edge of the pulley. It also moves out on the tensioner pulley and will come off the pulley. This, of course will shred the belt in a very short time. I thought of possibly the ps pulley, however the pulley is on the ps pump all the way, even with the end of the pump shaft.
I anyone has any more ideas please let me know, I am at a loss on this one.
Thanks,
Jim.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Might want to check your harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) as well. It has a inner spoked piece that fastens to the crank shaft and the outer grooved piece that drives the serpentine belt. In between the two is supposed to be bonded rubber-like flexible material that helps absorb shot/vibration, and this may deteriorate overtime causing misalignment or noise under load.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you find.

Woof

1 - 2 of 2 Posts