The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 plymouth voyager se 3.3l enigine and the serpentine belt keeps coming off.I have checked all over online to find the serpentine belt shields from dorman,gates,and etc.They all say the 82570 shield will not fit on my engine only the 3.0.What is the difference in the pulley size or can i go ahead and use the dorman 82570. I did have a pulley that was sold to me that had a smooth side for the belt and ridges on both sides to keep the belt from coming off,but this company sold me one that was not for a chrysler product.Not go there again,anyway i need to find out if anyone can help me to see if this shield can still fit my vehicle. If not i need to find a pulley that has the smooth side but ridges on both sides. I am having a hard time even finding one of those.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
346 Posts
There was a gates belt kit for the 3.3L and 3.8L. It has ribs on both sides of the belt, and includes a tensioner and idler pulley which are grooved. Its supposed to solve the belt jumping problem.

Check RockAuto for it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed. RockAuto offers retrofit kits that change out the tensioner and idler pulleys to grooved along with double sided belts. I did that for my 1998 GV 3.8 about 8 yrs ago and permanently solved the belt-throwing problem.

Woof

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anybody know if the above mentioned upgrade kit might help with squealing? Already tried new belt, tensioner, idler, fixed it for a while but noise back. Wonder if my alternator might be misaligned too.

MT

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anybody know if the above mentioned upgrade kit might help with squealing? Already tried new belt, tensioner, idler, fixed it for a while but noise back. Wonder if my alternator might be misaligned too.

MT
Probably not. Unless the source of your squealing happens to be the idler or the tensioner, I doubt the double-sided conversion kit will help.

Woof

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably not. Unless the source of your squealing happens to be the idler or the tensioner, I doubt the double-sided conversion kit will help.

Woof
Fair enough, thanks. After a bit of research on the Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite belt, and finding the Elite for $27 delivered on eBay, I rolled the dice and ordered that. While I install it I'll take a close look at alignment and I'll post up results. Now the next fun is I believe a bad BCM...that should be loads of fun but worthy of its' own post no doubt,

MT

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the classic causes of belt jumps has been water getting on the pulleys at inopportune times.
Check that the hoses that drain the windshield wiper tray are not cracked or missing. Specifically, the one just above the serpentine belt.
Also, be sure the lower splash shield is in place. After all these years, it may be gone.
The wiper-drain hose on ours was cracked, and the belt tended to jump during rain.
A quick repair, and the problem seems to have departed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts