The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 DGC SE
80 Posts
Depends on which side of the road you drive on...

I'm in Canada, so I drive on the right.

My drivers seat is the left one.

My older brother lives in the OTHER London.

His drivers seat is the right one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also needing to replace the foam of my driver's seat. It has broken down terribly and it leans to the door. I'm also looking for the part numbers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have you also had issues with the vinyl, on the outside edge, of the seat, cracking? I had mine, on a 2014, reupholstered, and it's starting to crack again. I was thinking it might need a denser foam.

·
Registered
755 Posts
FYI, the foam cushion isn't difficult to swap. I replaced the seat cushion in my parent's 2011 with a few hand tools in their driveway in Florida last winter.
Is there a thread here showing how to do it?/ We might want to try it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you also had issues with the vinyl, on the outside edge, of the seat, cracking? I had mine, on a 2014, reupholstered, and it's starting to crack again. I was thinking it might need a denser foam.
That's exactly the kind of "cost saving" engineering that drives me nuts. It's one thing to take a whole part/component/system and cut the cost by 50% and end up with something that lasts 150K miles or something, and then needs to be replaced entirely... Especially when it's something that might knock hundreds off the initial price. But to have a subcomponent, AKA just the vinyl sides, on an otherwise leather seat that will last for many, MANY years... It just drives me nuts. Using leather instead of vinyl on that tiny bit of seat would have literally cost a couple dollars per car, and the cracking they all get really ruins the aesthetics.

If I ever end up replacing mine I'm going to have them use real leather if it's being done piecemeal and not just replacing the whole thing with a factory new cover.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,987 Posts
That's exactly the kind of "cost saving" engineering that drives me nuts. ..cut the cost by 50% and end up with something that lasts 150K miles or something, But to have a subcomponent, AKA just the vinyl sides, on an otherwise leather seat that will last for many, MANY years... It just drives me nuts. Using leather instead of vinyl on that tiny bit of seat would have literally cost a couple dollars per car, and the cracking they all get really ruins the aesthetics.

If I ever end up replacing mine I'm going to have them use real leather if it's being done piecemeal and not just replacing the whole thing with a factory new cover.
Is not for "cost savings".

Most manufacturers use vinyl on the sides, leather will deteriorate faster than vinyl on those places.

Look at an aged leather seat of any vehicle, it will usually look cracked on the leather sides, but still in good condition on the vinyl sides.

If you ever replace your seat covers, I highly recommend you to use vinyl on the sides, whoever do the job, will also suggest the same.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the So- called, leather seats. Only the perforated centre sections are leather. When the outside edge cracked, I assumed that it was leather. I was wrong, and was surprised that the vinyl cracked. I had it replaced, Now it is cracking again. I wonder if the foam, under it, is too soft.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is not for "cost savings".

Most manufacturers use vinyl on the sides, leather will deteriorate faster than vinyl on those places.

Look at an aged leather seat of any vehicle, it will usually look cracked on the leather sides, but still in good condition on the vinyl sides.

If you ever replace your seat covers, I highly recommend you to use vinyl on the sides, whoever do the job, will also suggest the same.
Really? That's weird. I'm a big fan of leather, all my home furnishing is leather, office chairs (nice ones, not cheapo Offide Depot stuff), lots of jackets, nice boots etc... And in my experience the real deal usually holds up better than vinyl in any situation that comes to mind right off the bat. Leather will definitely stretch or get looking funky, but outright cracking and splitting usually only comes with extreme age or abuse of some sort.

I guess the only example I can think of that I have readily available in a car is my old Jaguar which has semi toasted front seats (Genuine lambskin seat covers FTW!). It has genuine leather on the side strips. The sides have some problems, I think 1 of the 4 side strips has a tear, but the others are fine. However the main portion of the seat is vastly more damaged than the sides. Bear in mind that's on basically 50 year old leather seats. Still not cracked on most of the side bits. Granted, the Jag has thick as heck Connolly hide as it's leather, not cheaper leather like found in FCA products or other more mainstream brands of today.

Vinyl does have its positive qualities, so maybe in that spot it does hold up better. It will certainly last for eons in spots that don't get bent/folded, actually bending/folding it seems to be the main cause of failure in the type of vinyl used for seats in my experience.

If they want to call them leather seats maybe they should just use a thicker and higher grade leather in that spot if wear is an issue :) I just like the real thing on principle any which way. It's like owning a pleather jacket, sacrilegious!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bumping this thread to see if there are any updates. I'm considering getting a junkyard seat bottom to replace mine which has started cracking. Am interested to know what others have done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI, the foam cushion isn't difficult to swap. I replaced the seat cushion in my parent's 2011 with a few hand tools in their driveway in Florida last winter.
I'd be interested to know what that process was. If not a YouTube video, can you give us a few anecdotes.??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my seat heat and while doing pulled the foam and vinyl off. The left bolster has wear and was crumbling. The fake leather was cracking. Went to see what the dealers parts dept wanted. $644 for the foam, $544 for the seat sack. I was floored. $1200 for injected foam and vinyl... I Can tell you thats far more than some high end German and Italian parts Ive bought for old cars at the dealer.

My 86 Leather seats still look great. My 2015 van cracks in 5 years... Cars very useful but I’ve never seen a car break and wear like this. 112k KMs.
Now my AC is out....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. Well, certainly sorry for your troubles. I hope your summer is forgiving, and that getting your air conditioning fixed is relatively easy.

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L
51 Posts
i just ordered seat bottoms from ebay 12 Chrysler Town&Country Driver Bottom Leather Perforated Vinyl Seat Cover Black | eBay hopefully they're better than oem.

i'm going to refurbish the seat foam using foam sheet from amazon. a few videos on youtube go through that process.

I fixed my seat heat and while doing pulled the foam and vinyl off. The left bolster has wear and was crumbling. The fake leather was cracking. Went to see what the dealers parts dept wanted. $644 for the foam, $544 for the seat sack. I was floored. $1200 for injected foam and vinyl... I Can tell you thats far more than some high end German and Italian parts Ive bought for old cars at the dealer.

My 86 Leather seats still look great. My 2015 van cracks in 5 years... Cars very useful but I’ve never seen a car break and wear like this. 112k KMs.
Now my AC is out....

·
Registered
196 Posts
The front passenger and driver seat-bottoms are the same. I purchased the passenger side from car-part.com and it installed fine as a replacement driver's seat bottom. The passenger seat usually has a lot less butt-time than the driver's seat, so the seat-bottoms tend to be in much better shape. Get an "A" rated one on car-part, and pick one that has photos so you can see it before you buy it. I recall having to purchase the entire seat, but I called the salvage yard and they were happy to ship just the seat bottom which saved a small fortune on shipping. I think it was $50 or $75.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts