The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Suspension designed by Volkswagen?

If the suspension is designed by Volkswagen, I can imagine they will last forever and the van will handle like a sports car... Let's just hope the front suspension issues are fixed for the '08 minis.

I certainly hope NOT since Volkswagens and Volkswagen parts are JUNK and do NOT last very long. I learned the hard way by buying a NEW 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle, a NEW 1975 VW Rabbit, a used 1965 VW Pickup, a used 1971 VW Bus, and an almost new 1977 VW Bus.

Volkswagen is the German name for JUNK. :help_wsig

·
I love cars !!
963 Posts
I certainly hope NOT since Volkswagens and Volkswagen parts are JUNK and do NOT last very long. I learned the hard way by buying a NEW 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle, a NEW 1975 VW Rabbit, a used 1965 VW Pickup, a used 1971 VW Bus, and an almost new 1977 VW Bus.

Volkswagen is the German name for JUNK. :help_wsig
Maybe back then, but I have driven a few Volkswagen lately ('04 Jetta with 115,000kms, '02 Golf) and the suspension felt tighter than a brand new DCX vehicle:Wow1:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Carl, 30 years is a long time. Today, Volkswagens are no worse than most cars for reliability. Also, all cars are generally more reliable now than they were in 1977. I would be willing to bet that their new minivans will be approximately as reliable as the new Chrysler & Dodge will be. :D Sounds like you got some bad ones in the 70s.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
I do not think Volkswagen reliability has improved much

Carl, 30 years is a long time. Today, Volkswagens are no worse than most cars for reliability. Also, all cars are generally more reliable now than they were in 1977. I would be willing to bet that their new minivans will be approximately as reliable as the new Chrysler & Dodge will be. :D Sounds like you got some bad ones in the 70s.

My niece and her husband were stranded on I-15 in Bountiful, Utah a year ago in their Volkswagen Jetta and our friend's daughter was stranded on I-15 in Midvale, Utah about the same time in her VW Jetta. :mad:

My niece replaced the Jetta with a new Toyota Corolla and our friend's daughter replaced her Jetta with a used Hyundai Santa Fe. ( I am trying to psyche my niece and her husband into buying my 06 Sienna so I can get back to a quality DaimlerChrysler minivan).

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
A co-worker has a 2005 Jetta TDI and loves it. They've put over 20k miles on it in its first year, and they've averaged over 45 mpg since it was new!

If I were in the market for a smaller car, I'd definitely look at a TDI Jetta.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Lots of people have anecdotal stories that cause them to avoid certian makes of vehicle, or even entire countries of origin. Most do not directly correlate to reliability and durability over the entire population.

But it is a part of being human that things that affect us directly have more of an impact on our decision making than the facts.

Personally, there are no specific manufacturers I will avoid. And I would have to admint I'm a little bit partial to DCX, because I have had three of their minivans and one other of their vehicles. I've never owned a GM product, but I would not hesitate to buy one if it were the best used vehicle for the money, that meets my needs.

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
And I would have to admit I'm a little bit partial to DCX, because I have had three of their minivans and one other of their vehicles.
Yeah, I'm kind of partial to DCX as well. Between my wife and me we've owned the following from them:
1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 (225 "Slant-Six")
1969 Plymouth Sport Suburban (383)
1970 Dodge Challenger (318 3-Speed stick, upgraded to 340 6-Pack 4-Speed, downgraded back to the 318 but kept the 4-Speed)
1976 Chrysler Cordoba (she had it before we met so I don't know what mill)
1985 Dodge Daytona (2.2 Turbo I 5-Speed)
1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC (2.2 Turbo II 5-Speed)
1995 Plymouth Neon Sport Sedan
1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (3.8)
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (3.8)

Unfortunately I have a taste for RWD sedans with juicy motors and manual transmissions, a combination that DCX only sells here in North America in the form of the very pricy C350 Sport, hence my affection for BMWs. ;)

·
Geekier than thou
1,968 Posts
You really don't want me to list all my old cars again, do you? :)

I've always been interested in most makes of cars/trucks, but I've stuck primarily with Chrysler and AMC, along with some GM products. I've never owned a Ford product--though I'd love to have a '56 Mercury Montclair 2-door hardtop.

Back in college, I almost bought my buddy's '70 Torino with a factory 429 CJ engine under the hood, but good sense prevailed. That car would have busted me in more ways than one.

I also came close to buying one of the first generation Nissan Stanzas, the 5-door "hatch" model. It offered a lot of car for the money back in '83-'84. But I resisted the urge and stuck some more money into my tired old AMC Gremlin instead...

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Quality control aside it's just plain butt ugly. Chrysler ruined it just like Ford ruined the F150 with that horrible Triton engine and the Toyota nose job YUUUUUUUCK!

Oh man do I agree. Ugh, honestly when I first saw the images of it, I thought to myself "is the vomitorium standard, or optional".... ugh.

Who knows...perhaps it will grow on me.

When the 4th generation of the DCX vans came out I had a similar but not quite as severe reaction. It seemed as though they beefed up the 3rd generations with lots of steroids and made them "bigger boned"

Then again, I still hate the "refreshed" grille that hit 3rd generation Town & Country vans in '98 with the full chrysler badge with wings logo on the huge mouth-like grille that got carried over into the 4th gen.

I'm a traditionalist who would totally swap out the front end of my 2000 Town & Country with the same elegant, yet understated style front end that my 1996 has. (chrome grille with CHRY logo minus wings)

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Lots of people have anecdotal stories that cause them to avoid certian makes of vehicle, or even entire countries of origin. Most do not directly correlate to reliability and durability over the entire population.
This goes back to the old saying that for most people, if they get a good product, they use it and are happy and go merrily on thier way. If they get a bad product, THEY TELL EVERYONE and MAKE sure every one knows of thier misery.

That is solved by the manufacturer/dealer , taking care of a defective product. How they do it and if/when the do it is the deal breaker.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I think anymore these days people don't really put much trust into what they hear from other people in terms of consumer reports... unless its from a really close friend or family member.... at least I don't.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
I LIKE the 2001-2004 T&C grilles

When the 4th generation of the DCX vans came out I had a similar but not quite as severe reaction. It seemed as though they beefed up the 3rd generations with lots of steroids and made them "bigger boned"

Then again, I still hate the "refreshed" grille that hit 3rd generation Town & Country vans in '98 with the full chrysler badge with wings logo on the huge mouth-like grille that got carried over into the 4th gen.

I'm a traditionalist who would totally swap out the front end of my 2000 Town & Country with the same elegant, yet understated style front end that my 1996 has. (chrome grille with CHRY logo minus wings)
I do not know what years each generation refers to....only the year. I like the 4th generation T&C the best IF the 4th generation refers to model years 2001-2004. The headlights 1996-2000 were just too small and did not emit sufficient light. I do NOT like the T&C grilles starting in 2005 when the winged Chrysler logo was moved from the center to the top so they look like the 2001-2004 Voyagers.:jpshakehe

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I think anymore these days people don't really put much trust into what they hear from other people in terms of consumer reports... unless its from a really close friend or family member.... at least I don't.
You'd be surprised. Peek your head into the CR auto forums. Those people are completely brainwashed. They'll make statements like, "I'm looking for a new car in X category, and have crossed everything off the list except for the top three CR picks, which should I get?" That's pretty much the definition of a "dumb terminal" in the computer world. There is no processing power up there...only a means for input and output. They're taking whatever "data" CR has gathered, and spit out, and using that to drive their entire decision process. Woah. That's scary. :blink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe back then, but I have driven a few Volkswagen lately ('04 Jetta with 115,000kms, '02 Golf) and the suspension felt tighter than a brand new DCX vehicle:Wow1:
We have a '02 Golf TDI. I love the way it handles. I'm amazed that it feels steadier at higher speeds than any other car I've owned. Not sure why it feels that way, maybe the fact that at 80mph you're in a very strong power band for the diesel engine. Feels very sprightly. Can punch it from 70-90 with amazing ease. But it also generally feels very stable, not squirly at those speeds. I've taken it well into triple digits and been amazed at its stability.

I'm also very happy with its reliability. Consumer reports says the 2002 Golf is one of the most UNreliable cars for that year. I know the TDI is a more reliable version, at least the engine. We have had one problem with glow plugs that caused the check engine light to come up. It was replaced under warranty. Have had ZERO other problems, no delivery issues etc. We are working on 51k miles.

We're also happy with the reliability of our Grand Caravan. Its an 2006 working on 20k miles. Only problems have been rear power liftgate failed, and one power door failed, but that last one was caused by flooding the car and not Chrysler's fault.

In general I've seen little correlation on individual cars between our experience and the reported average reliability for a make or model. We've had many problems with the supposedly reliable Japanese cars we've owned. The two worst that come to mind are a 2005 Toyota Sienna which spent the first month of its life practically undriveable but also had a recall and applicable service bulletins issued within the first 3 months of ownership. And a 2002 Honda Civic which was cursed.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
A coworker has an '05 Jetta TDI (that's the new body style). It's a very impressive car to me. Very tight (both on space and in handling), but drives smooth and the diesel engine pulls well. They get over 45 mpg city with it. They've put about 30,000 miles on it during their first year of ownership. She used to drive it all the time, but now her husband drives it to work and she's back in her Vue.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Volkswagens may get good fuel economy BUT...

A coworker has an '05 Jetta TDI (that's the new body style). It's a very impressive car to me. Very tight (both on space and in handling), but drives smooth and the diesel engine pulls well. They get over 45 mpg city with it. They've put about 30,000 miles on it during their first year of ownership. She used to drive it all the time, but now her husband drives it to work and she's back in her Vue.
Based on my experience with 2 NEW Volkswagens and 3 used ones, a person would need to get over 100 MPG to pay for the frequent, costly repairs.:help_wsig

·
Registered
918 Posts
minivans

Oh man do I agree. Ugh, honestly when I first saw the images of it, I thought to myself "is the vomitorium standard, or optional".... ugh.

Who knows...perhaps it will grow on me.

While not bad it certainly isn't anything that hits me when I look at it and say you gotta have this vehicle. In my eyes I think one of the best looking ones right now is hyundais Entourage . Nice looking van and and real nice looking interior.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
It certainly is an improvement over the new DCX vans, but I feel like the Hyundai Entourage is too similar to the Honda Odyssey.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
We have vastly different opinions

While not bad it certainly isn't anything that hits me when I look at it and say you gotta have this vehicle. In my eyes I think one of the best looking ones right now is hyundais Entourage . Nice looking van and and real nice looking interior.
After reading hype about the Hyundai Entourage, I was completely UNDERwhelmed when I sat inside one at the Annual Auto Show and very closely examined it. I was un-impressed with both the exterior and the interior styling and the cloth seat covering and carpet felt cheap. Could not tell much difference between the Entourage and Sedona. The 3rd row seat was NOT comfortable for an adult or very large child.:cry:

For me, an Entourage compared to an Odyssey is like comparing a Yugo to an Accord. I would NOT even consider buying either an Entourage or Sedona after looking at them next to Odysseys, T&C, GC, or Siennas.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts