The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I sprayed some oil rust proofing in a can, like Fluid Film, on the inside of the leading edge of the hood. No signs of corrosion so far.

I've been told by many that it won't work and that the corrosion comes from under the paint. Well, I've been rust proofing cars with oil based products for years now. I own an 06 Mazda 3, probably one of the worst modern vehicles when it comes to rust, and it doesn't have any rust in the wheel wells, rocker panels or underneath.

Oils spray rust proofing simply works. And for something like the hood, all you really need is one good application of the product and maybe a touch up every few years. So it's a pitiful amount of work and effort when compared to fixing a corroded hood.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed the corrosion on my hood mid summer on my 2016 with about 65000 km on the clock. Took it in to the dealer who snapped a few pics to submit to Chrysler under warranty. It's now approved, but the repaint is being subcontracted to the local Ford dealer! The van is going in next Tuesday for 3 days.

What's the consensus on what's causing this corrosion?
Bad metal?
Poor priming and painting?
Poor design and/or fabrication?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,298 Posts
I sprayed some oil rust proofing in a can, like Fluid Film, on the inside of the leading edge of the hood. No signs of corrosion so far.

I've been told by many that it won't work and that the corrosion comes from under the paint. Well, I've been rust proofing cars with oil based products for years now. I own an 06 Mazda 3, probably one of the worst modern vehicles when it comes to rust, and it doesn't have any rust in the wheel wells, rocker panels or underneath.

Oils spray rust proofing simply works. And for something like the hood, all you really need is one good application of the product and maybe a touch up every few years. So it's a pitiful amount of work and effort when compared to fixing a corroded hood.
If your hood is going to corrode, it will regardless of what you apply to it.

Corrosion on those hoods are due to a no so clean hood before painting, so whatever you apply afterwards is not going to help.

Keep in mind, doesn't happen to all the vehicles, so you just got lucky.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
I noticed the corrosion on my hood mid summer on my 2016 with about 65000 km on the clock. Took it in to the dealer who snapped a few pics to submit to Chrysler under warranty. It's now approved, but the repaint is being subcontracted to the local Ford dealer! The van is going in next Tuesday for 3 days.

What's the consensus on what's causing this corrosion?
Bad metal?
Poor priming and painting?
Poor design and/or fabrication?
It's a manufacturing fault. Aluminum needs a cleaner environment than steel, otherwise corrosion happens is my limited understanding of the issue.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
UN4GTBL
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing