The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my recent experience with Rock Auto. When it came time to do the brakes and shocks on my 2014 DGC, like many I opted to purchase the pre-loaded struts and springs for the front of my van. I went with the KYB since I had used them in the past for performance shocks and thought they were a reputable brand. I install the struts/springs and the driver's side is making a clicking/popping sound from the upper bearing/spring hat. Turns out this has happened to others (check Amazon reviews) and so since this is a "defective" part, I decide to return it for a replacement. Since I am past the refund window and the part is already installed on the van, I'm forced to purchase a replacement unit and then return the defective later after I swap it out. Mind you I am still responsible to pay for some of the return shipping at this point...ok whatever, I just need this part. A couple days later, I get the replacement strut/spring, go to install it and when I open the box, I find that this is a USED strut/spring. The instructions have old grease smeared on them, there's obvious marks as to where it's been bolted down to the spindle and there's a dab of new axle grease on the body of the shock. This part was clearly installed at some point and then returned. If I wanted used parts, I should only have to pay used prices. So now I have a defective strut on the van and a used strut in a box...so since this is a fairly "unique" situation, I decide that I should probably speak to someone in a customer service position rather than use their online help tutorial. Well....if you call Rock Auto, they don't provide customer service help over the phone. You're forced to figure out your own problem online and so as of right now, I have a pre-paid return label to send back the used strut for a pending refund however I'm still out the money that I paid for the original defective strut, I'm temporarily out the money for the used strut and what... I'm supposed to now front the money for a 3rd strut? I usually order all of my car repair parts from Rock Auto but at this point, it's really not worth my time and hassle. They may have great prices but at what cost in the end?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
That's what you get when buying online.

Happens all the time, even on brick & mortar stores. Customer returns a supposedly unused part, seller doesn't inspect it and put it back in stock.

When you buy locally, you can return it right away, samecfor warranty claims.

You can contact your CC company, if you are in good standing, they might return your money right away while they conduct an investigation.

Advice, next time tri to buy at Jegs, they are very good at shipping overnight for warranty claims. I once ordered a tach for my son, it was a Christmas gift. Got it two days before Christmas, but it was a wrong model. Well, I called Jegs but was told they would ship the correct one but it migh get a day after Christmas. I asked to talk to a supervisor, they were busy but was told someone would call back shortly.

Few minutes later, someone called back, he claimed he was the owner of the company, he was very nice, he assured me that my son would get his present on time, he also ask me to keep the wring item as a gift for my trouble.

Sure enough, got the correct item + anither gift next day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
oh my. I've yet to ever experience anything like this from RA. Bummer as this has happened.

Were these marked down as being USED?

From others here in this forum and reading, the KYB struts are not the way to go.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Different vehicle, but I've had a good experience with KYB quick struts in the one instance. And Rockauto usually seems understanding when it comes to returns and warranty stuff.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
I'm a KYB fan, they were fantastic on my Toyota Celica, but I have had bad luck with them on my 97 Grand Voyager. In fact, I had the same issue of noise in the strut bearing that ultimately resulted in failure. The KYB strut mount broke, and the wheel folded up under the van.
I also wouldn't recommend quick struts, on the 3rd Gen Chrysler Minivan there are almost 20 different front spring part numbers from the factory. You are likely to end up with a slightly different spring designed for a different weight van. If you are going to get quick struts, it's imperative that you replace both sides so the possibly different spring rates between replacement and oem don't affect handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Special Edy
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing