The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is the insides of a RH Rear Vent Motor Assembly from a 1999 Grand Caravan SE

This is the Motor with ID Information on it

This is the Armature and Commutator

This is the Brush holder & Brushes

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats about one cheap looking motor---like to blame the Chinese but Chrysler engineers designed and had it built to specs !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Thats about one cheap looking motor---like to blame the Chinese but Chrysler engineers designed and had it built to specs !!!!!!!
Come on, look at the job it needs to do. It needs barely any power so does not need to be a big beefy motor. Mine have never failed but I use them often so maybe that is true about them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the new motor in and all is well for now. I simply stored the "spares" in my quickly growing third gen van parts box. Swapped the fender too....what a pain that was! Had to tear the whole car up! Lines up perfect, even the pin stripe and paint matches!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The same motor is used in the actuators mounted to the HVAC unit.
It is essentially a hobby motor, very common and not designed as an automotive grade product.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Ugh. The vent motors don't work at all in my 1996 and my 2000 either. I want to change them out but it looks like a huge pain to get access to the motors. The entire trim panel and all needs to come off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is not really a "commom" failure. Think about the fact that the youngest of the 3rd gens is at least 10 years old. The parts are old and go bad,
Just one of those things, I guess. My daughter's 98 has both dead, yet my 2000 has both functional. I have plans to deal with it whenever I score a parts van some day. Glad to see in this thread they aren't as hard to change as I had been lead to believe.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Ugh. The vent motors don't work at all in my 1996 and my 2000 either. I want to change them out but it looks like a huge pain to get access to the motors. The entire trim panel and all needs to come off.
It's not too hard at all. Pop off the upper and lower hatch opening trims and you can just pop the few retainers of the side panel and hold it out of the way. On the driver's side you have to remove a few screws in the jack storage area though. Also it's s bit dodgy by the seatbelt loop but manageable. Overall pretty east job. One warning that I sadly didn't have: DON'T pull out the wire retainers. hey will deform and require rehabilitation. You don't need thet out, as I learned in the school of hard knocks. You just slide the shaft apart.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Have you found any tricks to re-installing the rear AC vents andyg?

Hopefully there won't be any need to remove it again but.........

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Have you found any tricks to re-installing the rear AC vents andyg?

Hopefully there won't be any need to remove it again but.........
Last time I did it was about a year ago so any tricks have long been forgotten. If I remember though, it was pretty much just cram it all back together.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The hardest part of that job for me was getting the rear AC duct work back in place.

Pain in the arse.
I never had to undo any of that just for removing thevent window motors.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I wanna hear how you do that :ask_wsign

:lurk:
Maybe I am missing something.
My left one was dead, and my sister let me gut her van before she sent it to the wrecker. I took out her left one by undoing the screws around the jack storage area, popping off the sill trim and the roof trim, and popping off the snaps of the rearward edge of the main interior panel. This allowed me the space to undo the bolts that fasten the motor, with a ratchet. I re and re'd the same way on my van. Then I removed her right motor for safekeeping. I used exactly the same method there. What ductwork do you mean?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The ductwork is for rear AC/Heat equipped vans. My 99 has it and there is a large piece of ductwork that is infront of the vent motor that needs to be removed, and it's not fun reinstalling it.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The rear a/c unit has duct work that comes out of the blower/ hvac box in the rear passenger side. It pretty much blocks the passenger side motor as it y pipes off to split over to the drivers side and go to the passenger side roof vents.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
BINGO and BINGO !!

It's the passenger side that I was referring to as the pain in the arse.

I was hoping you found a "trick" or "angle" that would make re-installing it a bit easier. It's not as hard as changing the 3 rear plugs or anything like that, but it's a bit tedious trying to get it back in there.

On the other hand, now that I have a working passenger side rear vent motor, I hope I don't have to remove it again for a VERY long time...never again would be just right :eek:

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I hope I don't have to remove it again for a VERY long time...never again would be just right :eek:
This is exactly how I feel about changing a bad starter motor on these blasted engines. It's really easy to pop the starter motor out when it craps the bed, but GOOD GRIEF what a pain in the arse it was to put the new one in. Lots of swearing and useless grunting. Frankly I'd rather take the wiper cowl and tray out than do another starter motor. Though, if my experience is any indication, I should have two more 3.3/3.8L starter motors crapping the bed any time now. *fumes*

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
27 Participants
rolo
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing