The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Grand Voyager Expresso has the power rear vent windows, nice feature.....if they'd work! When I got the van, the drivers side unit was dead. I called Chrysler, they wanted an ungodly amount for them so I went to Pull-a-Part, got one and tested it to make sure it worked. Excellent.

Today the passenger side decided to quit working.

I take it these go out often as I've seen many 3rd gen vans come in the shop with this issue and many going down the road with just one open.

Is there some kind of other alternative to replacing these other then going with the manual style that my bare bones 94' has? Just gives me another reason to go to the junkyard (which I don't mind at all!) but seeing how I had tried at least eight others at the yard until I found a good working one I'm wondering if there's some kind of fix for these?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have changed one on mine, it's an easy job. The upick here would only charge about $5 if I got it there. I took the 2 from my sister's van when I gutted it. I think you just have to get lucky and eventually install one that lasts a long time.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
It is not really a "commom" failure. Think about the fact that the youngest of the 3rd gens is at least 10 years old. The parts are old and go bad, I'v replaced the motors on a few vans with junkyard ones and have never had one fail again on that side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to Pull-a-Part tomorow, hoping to get a few spares. I bring my cordless drill in there and use the battery to test them, hopefully I'll find at least one working unit out of the two dozen third gen vans there.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
When i took mine off i didn't see them as a window motor ...

I thought hey,that would make a great air grabber actuator!

Anyone think it could work on a van hood?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You guys are lucky.

I went to U-Pull-It, got a motor, replaced it...still doesn't work.

Not the switch either. :ask_wsign

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Pull-a-Part today and had some luck, I got a pair of motors from a lower mileage 1998 Town & Country (118K according to the last oil change sticker) and I also found a 1998 Grand Caravan ES with a perfect passenger side fender in the same blue color my 99 GV is. Got that as well as the rear window motors seeing how they worked too. So now I have four spares, hopefully that ought to last me a while!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
did the es have autostick?
98's didn't. I've been looking hard for an astick setup but no luck in yards yet. There are a 2 ES vans I know of in my town because of the bigger rims with lower profile tires (I want them so bad lol) and I wonder if either of them have the astick. Most vans with it probably never even use the feature.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm guessing the ones (es) with the 17"s would have a/s the two that i've seen were 17".

Your right about non use my buddy has one and rarely uses it.....i know i would!

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,494 Posts
I rarely use those things, if you have air, I would just use it, and I'll tell you why. I saw a friend's recently that he had left the rear window open just slightly, and a big rain came. Soaked the rear of the vehicle and took a while to fix it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Picked up yet another switch assembly today at the U-Pull-It place.

Still no go on the passenger side rear vent window.

So, I've tried several motors and several switches....so the problem is neither apparently and is in the wiring somewhere in between.

Bummer

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Well,
after more tests, it appears the "replacement" junkyard motors I paid for were true to their source....JUNK.

Hooked a VOM to the harness terminals AT the motor and got 12.07 + when I moved the switch one way, and 12.06 - when I moved it the other way. So the switch is working and the harness is ok.

Just a situation where the junk yard parts were as bad as the failed part I was replacing.

Dealer price is $80.00 :Wow1:
Junk yard price = $9.00
Guess I'll try a few more from the Junk Source

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Out of curiosity,

I dissected one of the rear vent window motors.

The one I dissected would work once in a while....like hardly ever. My first thought was that the brushes were worn out but after taking the unit apart, I found the brushes to be in very good shape with very little wear at all.

So, I looked at the commutator. Again, no really apparent signs of wear.

Inside, the motor looked fresh as though it should have worked fine but the only way I could get it to spin up is to give the shaft a spin while power was applied to it. Once I removed power, it usually would not restart unless I spun the shaft first. The commutator on this motor has three coils and therefore 3 separate commutator pads. I took some hi-detail close ups but I'm sure noone else would care to see those.

I'm wondering if these motors go bad more from LACK of use than use? Could be the brushes or commutator get a layer of corrosion on them because they hardly ever get used?

·
Registered
143 Posts
One way to test armatures is with a 'growler' - a device used by starter/alternator rebuilders to make sure they don't put a bad armature into an item they are going to sell to the public.

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14273/css/14273_46.htm

BTW, yes post the pictures. My right one doesn't work either. I've done no troubleshooting though.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
27 Participants
rolo
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing