The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my rear hatch keeps unlocking when I start. I closed it then I hear a whirring noise and it unlocks again. No idea what to do to fix it

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
Lately my rear hatch keeps unlocking when I start. I closed it then I hear a whirring noise and it unlocks again. No idea what to do to fix it
Welcome to the Forum.

Is it a powered hatch?

Does it actually lock sometimes?

Has your vehicle been damaged or been worked on recently?

Has your vehicle been used for moving a large or heavy object recently?

Any possible obstructions?

A video, with sound, could be worth a thousand words.

With the limited information provided, my guess is the problem is likely with the mechanism within the door or the latch on the body is loose/damaged.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,803 Posts
It is always worth trying to lubricate the hatch locking mechanism (at the bottom/center of the tailgate) with a lightweight oil or graphite lube.

While you are at it, apply some graphite to the latches on the front door & ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
It is always worth trying to lubricate the hatch locking mechanism (at the bottom/center of the tailgate) with a lightweight oil or graphite lube.

While you are at it, apply some graphite to the latches on the front door & ignition switch.
Good advice Atwell. I see you are out from under today, or partly so, you didn't mention Fluid Film. ha,ha

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,803 Posts
I'm not the one who teases you about your repeated recommendations of Fluid Film (which is primarily a Canadian product, eh?):p

But, soon as we find out for sure that it can cure the common cold, I'll try and get me some! :giggle:

Meantime, here is what the producers say about it regards locks and latches:

Locks/Hinges/Tracks
  • FLUID FILM® provides slick, lasting lubrication that could last up to 36 months in locks, or hinges and seat tracks under normal operating conditions. It also keeps locks from freezing, even in sub-zero temperatures. A small amount is all that is needed to keep locks buttery smooth. Great for fixing problem locks.

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
Nope, not Canadian. Take a look at some of your government's use. Keeps them slippery. :)

Also approved for use on NASA space shuttle.

Medical Use: Synovial Fluid - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
It is now believed that hyaluronan functions in fluid-film lubrication, whereas lubricin is the true boundary lubricant in synovial fluid (see later discussion).
Ha, ha. That should make your day. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts