The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at something a little cheaper than gates kit for my 99 plymouth voyager ss 3.3l I have seen they have pulley shields 82570 i think the number is,but, they say it will not fit the 3.3 engine. What is the difference if it fits the 3.0 and not the 3.3 it just fits on the outside of the pulleys. Is it the size of the bolt dia,length, or different size of the pulley itself. Help i am on a fixed income and limited to what i can do, and now i pulled up to an intersection and the van died on me. It turns over fine but will not start.Had it in too a mechanic and had it for 2 weeks and they did everthing to it they could and cleaned some wires under dash and reattached them and it run fine for 3 weeks now starting same problem.If i don't find out what going on i am going to junk it,tired of being stranded all the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was looking at something a little cheaper than gates kit for my 99 plymouth voyager ss 3.3l I have seen they have pulley shields 82570 i think the number is,but, they say it will not fit the 3.3 engine. What is the difference if it fits the 3.0 and not the 3.3 it just fits on the outside of the pulleys. Is it the size of the bolt dia,length, or different size of the pulley itself. Help i am on a fixed income and limited to what i can do, and now i pulled up to an intersection and the van died on me. It turns over fine but will not start.Had it in too a mechanic and had it for 2 weeks and they did everthing to it they could and cleaned some wires under dash and reattached them and it run fine for 3 weeks now starting same problem.If i don't find out what going on i am going to junk it,tired of being stranded all the time.
I have the Gates Kit on my 2000 Grand Caravan. It is a little pricey but is a quality kit. The belt and pulley is of very high quality and will last a very long time. I would invest in it. I got the kit for around $100 on Rock Auto. I had my local mechanic install it for me for like $60. Good Investment IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Additionally, you asked the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.3. Quite allot. The 3.0 if I am not mistaken is built by Mitsubishi, where as the 3.3 is Dodge. The design and layout is totally different as parts are concerted. If it makes you feel any better, I think the 3.3 and the 3.8 are the better engines for these Vans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Gates Kit on my 2000 Grand Caravan. It is a little pricey but is a quality kit. The belt and pulley is of very high quality and will last a very long time. I would invest in it. I got the kit for around $100 on Rock Auto. I had my local mechanic install it for me for like $60. Good Investment IMO.
Thanks for the info. I found on rockauto the price was 65.00 unless i looked at it wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additionally, you asked the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.3. Quite allot. The 3.0 if I am not mistaken is built by Mitsubishi, where as the 3.3 is Dodge. The design and layout is totally different as parts are concerted. If it makes you feel any better, I think the 3.3 and the 3.8 are the better engines for these Vans.
Mechanic is still trying to get it to run correctly.They said this time it was the crank sensor and put one in now it pops when you give a gas.I don't think they have a clue what to do with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mechanic is still trying to get it to run correctly.They said this time it was the crank sensor and put one in now it pops when you give a gas.I don't think they have a clue what to do with it.
Seems like your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe take it to a different place. If they messed with wires and it worked? Then it sounds like it could be your ignition switch. Seriously though could be anything so the mechanic has to have one of those expensive scan tools to figure it out. You could take it to dodge just for the diagnostic part and have the repairs done somewhere else to save money? Or find a mechanic that knows a thing or 2 about older Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,242 Posts
If it cranks but no spark or fuel injectors firing, it's either the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring, or a cracked flex plate. Flex plate will require transmission removal to replace and/or even SEE if it's cracked (unless you can get a borescope/endoscope in there). The crack is usually around the crankshaft bolts, so you won't see it through the inspection plate. Some have also said the solder joints on the instrument cluster can crack and cause a no-start condition, so that may be the easiest thing to check first.

As for the pulley - I don't believe in the gates kit. It's usually a worn tensioner that causes the belt to come off. Sometimes the pulley alignment is still off enough after a new tensioner/pulley that the belt will still come off. The 3.0 had a similar problem, and there was a special pulley available for those that had a rounded shoulder on each side of the pulley for the belt to ride in. I used one of those pulleys, transferred the bearings from the old 3.3/3.8 pulley to the "new" pulley, and bolted it on. I believe it is an idler pulley on the 3.0 and I used one on the tensioner and the idler on a 3.8 v6. It worked for years, until the new tensioner wore and got sloppy enough to throw the belt again. Otherwise, I could DUMP water ON the belt while goosing the engine and the belt would stay on. The pulley was only $6 at the U-Pull-It yard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it cranks but no spark or fuel injectors firing, it's either the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring, or a cracked flex plate. Flex plate will require transmission removal to replace and/or even SEE if it's cracked (unless you can get a borescope/endoscope in there). The crack is usually around the crankshaft bolts, so you won't see it through the inspection plate. Some have also said the solder joints on the instrument cluster can crack and cause a no-start condition, so that may be the easiest thing to check first.

As for the pulley - I don't believe in the gates kit. It's usually a worn tensioner that causes the belt to come off. Sometimes the pulley alignment is still off enough after a new tensioner/pulley that the belt will still come off. The 3.0 had a similar problem, and there was a special pulley available for those that had a rounded shoulder on each side of the pulley for the belt to ride in. I used one of those pulleys, transferred the bearings from the old 3.3/3.8 pulley to the "new" pulley, and bolted it on. I believe it is an idler pulley on the 3.0 and I used one on the tensioner and the idler on a 3.8 v6. It worked for years, until the new tensioner wore and got sloppy enough to throw the belt again. Otherwise, I could DUMP water ON the belt while goosing the engine and the belt would stay on. The pulley was only $6 at the U-Pull-It yard.
I liked the Gates belt and pulley combo, i was tired of hearing my belt squealing all the time. Had the belt and pulleys changed with OEM bits 6 months later squealing came back. Put the gates double ribbed belt on and been 2 yrs no squealing. So I'm a fan of the kit. As for the other potential issues with the van as i stated you need to take it to a mechanic worth a salt because it's obvious the guy working on your van now has no clue. I know this doesn't hello your situation, but if your car is with someone that can't fix it or has no clue then that is going to cost you so much more with him guessing.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,242 Posts
One thing to remember about the kit, is the special belt. If you need a new one, it has to be special ordered and you have to wait for delivery. Also, why no ribbed water pump pulley? That's not a complete kit. The problem is the cheaply-made factory (and aftermarket) steel pulleys that aren't completely flat. Anyway, with all these different pulleys and the kit available, there are your options. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
One thing to remember about the kit, is the special belt. If you need a new one, it has to be special ordered and you have to wait for delivery. Also, why no ribbed water pump pulley? That's not a complete kit. The problem is the cheaply-made factory (and aftermarket) steel pulleys that aren't completely flat. Anyway, with all these different pulleys and the kit available, there are your options. :)
Where i live i had to have the OEM belt ordered anyway. All i can tell you is i had all OEM parts installed and the squealing came back after 6 months. The Gates kit that i ordered and got in 2 days vs about a week for the OEM parts has not squealed in just over 2 yrs that is had been on the van. It came with the pulley's that were required and were of decent quality. Nothing is perfect out there but the Gates kit did eliminate that belt squealing that drove me frickin crazy so it's worth it to me 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts