The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am Martin from Czech republic, not speaking good englis (only litle sorry). I have grand caravan 3.3 1989 in Czech republic, maybe is here only one now for all country and i need this car in good condition because i like this car. I have 2 problems,first is with my transmission, when i drive on D IS EVERYTHING ok,when i drive on OD is problem-drive 1,2,3 OK and fourth gear not rank,try it and go to "emergency" system. When i car stop and off and start up engine and go to noraml D no problem. When i drive and switch from D to OD ,try it and go to emergency. V.jpg

second problem is with my turn indicator,fuel indicator,temperature indicator .... not working. work only speedmeter.Sorry for my language and have a nice day

·
Registered
98 Posts
Changing the Transmission fluid and filter is the first step I would want to do... BUT... Mopar ATF +2 was used in 1989 and is now unavailable.

I am not sure if I would change the fluid and filter or not, because some people are reluctant to use ATF +4 as a replacement fluid and believe The ATF +4 when used in an ATF +2 or ATF +3 transmission is more likely to cause the seals in the transmission to deteriorate/fail. I do not know if it does or not. Some have found old stock ATF +3 and if you could find some, I would use that.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, I would be inclined to try this first without changing the fluid yet:

Quick 1st try guess/solution: 1" socket to remove/replace Transmission Input & Output Speed Sensors. Remove and clean them off and replace. They are magnetic and attract grit on the end (sensors may also be bad, but so could the Transmission Control Solenoid).

The Input Speed Sensor is straight above the Transmission Control Solenoid and below the Trans Cooler Lines, the Output Speed Sensor is to the right.

https://forum.chryslerminivan.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53447&d=1548952129

View attachment 53451

See if the problem goes away. If it didn't I would then change the Transmission Control Solenoid and both Speed Sensors.

Some say diagnose before you replace anything, but the Transmission Control Solenoid fixes a lot of these Transmissions.

Lastly, I have not done this to an old Chrysler minivan and so I would research it more. I have done it with 3 Gen 4's with success!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the advice, here in Europe we do not get much because these cars are the minimum.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your 1st gen Grand Caravan looks very nice! Thanks for the nice photo! The first gen is my favorite.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Changing the Transmission fluid and filter is the first step I would want to do... BUT... Mopar ATF +2 was used in 1989 and is now unavailable.

I am not sure if I would change the fluid and filter or not, because some people are reluctant to use ATF +4 as a replacement fluid and believe The ATF +4 when used in an ATF +2 or ATF +3 transmission is more likely to cause the seals in the transmission to deteriorate/fail. I do not know if it does or not. Some have found old stock ATF +3 and if you could find some, I would use that.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, I would be inclined to try this first without changing the fluid yet:

Quick 1st try guess/solution: 1" socket to remove/replace Transmission Input & Output Speed Sensors. Remove and clean them off and replace. They are magnetic and attract grit on the end (sensors may also be bad, but so could the Transmission Control Solenoid).

The Input Speed Sensor is straight above the Transmission Control Solenoid and below the Trans Cooler Lines, the Output Speed Sensor is to the right.

https://forum.chryslerminivan.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53447&d=1548952129

View attachment 53451

See if the problem goes away. If it didn't I would then change the Transmission Control Solenoid and both Speed Sensors.

Some say diagnose before you replace anything, but the Transmission Control Solenoid fixes a lot of these Transmissions.

Lastly, I have not done this to an old Chrysler minivan and so I would research it more. I have done it with 3 Gen 4's with success!
ATF +4 is supposed to be backward compatible. As I understand it, ATF +4 is simply more "slippery" than the older spec fluids (a full synthetic). I myself wouldn't be afraid of using ATF +4 in an older Mopar. If unsure, I'd drop am email to any ATF +4 manufacturer. They would know.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
Do one change with ATF 4, pump the fluid out with a hand pump through the dipstick tube. If you notice improvement, do it again, and again, then drop the pan and change the filter IF YOU NEED TOO. Sounds like your lock up solenoid on the torque convertor could be bad. Check its operation like this: on level ground go about 45 in OD, then with foot on the gas, touch and hold the brake pedal down just a bit, you should see the tachometer jump up and then jump back when you let the brake off, the lock up in the convertor is activated off by the brake light switch. If that is not working, you may have to replace either the switch or the convertor, sorry. But the fluid change might change everything if you current fluid is the least bit brown on a white towel. Oxidized fluid will cause all kinds of weird problems on this transmission, but ATF 4 is the end of it all.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,756 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do one change with ATF 4, pump the fluid out with a hand pump through the dipstick tube. If you notice improvement, do it again, and again, then drop the pan and change the filter IF YOU NEED TOO. Sounds like your lock up solenoid on the torque convertor could be bad. Check its operation like this: on level ground go about 45 in OD, then with foot on the gas, touch and hold the brake pedal down just a bit, you should see the tachometer jump up and then jump back when you let the brake off, the lock up in the convertor is activated off by the brake light switch. If that is not working, you may have to replace either the switch or the convertor, sorry. But the fluid change might change everything if you current fluid is the least bit brown on a white towel. Oxidized fluid will cause all kinds of weird problems on this transmission, but ATF 4 is the end of it all.
I'd like to add to this post about changing the fluid. We have an additive manufactured in this end of the United States (NW) called "Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant". It has a very good reputation for curing transmission ills. It is a friction modifier (lubricity improver) and will cure some lock-up converter problems, clutch chatter and torque converter shudder and other things. It also decreases transmission temperatures. I'm not sure if you can source it where you are but there is the Internet and Amazon. I have used it myself in years past and it has helped me.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
To be honest, if you have ATF 4, you dont need any other additive for lubricity. It has it all. In the 70's an old mechanic told me that they were going to start having trouble with AT's because they could not use sperm whale oil anymore. He was right. Now the improvements, as I understand it, is really they are able to synthesize sperm whale oil from soybean or some other oil. All should be good. You might also check the torque converter lock-up solenoid. could be bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts