The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've' been hearing Noise and feeling roughness when parking in my wife's '03 Caravan 120,000 miles. No leaks and fluid is full. Notice noise is louder after 30 minutes of driving. It Sounds like low fluid Groan. Although I see no Pump or Rack leaks should I be thinking of a New Rack Assy. ? Any additives help this ? Seafoam ? Thanks and Happy Holidays !
I fixed this problem when it came up several years ago. The filter in the reservoir eventually gets clogged, so I replaced the reservoir, and the whine was gone. If you drain your reservoir (Turkey baster works well) shine a light into it and see if your filter is clogged. If not, then try this fix. Use Amsoil "Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF". This eliminated a whine that started when the weather got a little colder. Fill reservoir back up with the Amsoil, and that should do the trick.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,914 Posts
I fixed this problem when it came up several years ago. The filter in the reservoir eventually gets clogged, so I replaced the reservoir, and the whine was gone. If you drain your reservoir (Turkey baster works well) shine a light into it and see if your filter is clogged. If not, then try this fix. Use Amsoil "Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF". This eliminated a whine that started when the weather got a little colder. Fill reservoir back up with the Amsoil, and that should do the trick.
Stick with ATF+4. It's synthetic, cheaper than Amsoil, plus meets Chrysler specs.

A couple other ways to lessen the noise is overfill the reservoir (lessens available air) or add a friction modifier, a la Ford, to the power steering fluid.

A way to increase the noise is to use a remanufactured power steering pump.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Stick with ATF+4. It's synthetic, cheaper than Amsoil, plus meets Chrysler specs.
My old 2005 was using DOT3 not ATF+3 nor ATF+4. It was that way when I got it. In a year time, the fill tank reservoir was leaking and the noise was there. And, down below the engine, the short almost U-turn hose was leaking.

Replaced the reservoir, drained out the DOT-3, replaced hoses and used ATF+4. No more noises, no leaks and it worked better than before I had gotten the van.

At first, I was a bit taken that ATF+4 was to be used in the PS system. Then looking at all of the info up on it, it seemed the right thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
22,914 Posts
My old 2005 was using DOT3 not ATF+3 nor ATF+4. It was that way when I got it. In a year time, the fill tank reservoir was leaking and the noise was there. And, down below the engine, the short almost U-turn hose was leaking.

Replaced the reservoir, drained out the DOT-3, replaced hoses and used ATF+4. No more noises, no leaks and it worked better than before I had gotten the van.

At first, I was a bit taken that ATF+4 was to be used in the PS system. Then looking at all of the info up on it, it seemed the right thing to do.
Only similarity between DOT-3 brake fluid and regular power steering fluid is possibly an amber color. DOT-3 is not a petroleum product. Conventional oils and most synthetic oils, of any type, are petroleum based. Some synthetic oils are actually, really, truly PAO synthetic, like Castrol 0W-30 European formula.

Most brake fluids used today are glycol-ether based.
Power steering fluid is a form of hydraulic fluid that is usually either silicone or mineral oil based. Others power steering fluids are made from synthetic base oil and these are automatic transmission fluids.
Mineral oil is a colorless and odorless oil that's made from petroleum—as a by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline. It's long been used as a common ingredient in lotions, creams, ointments, and cosmetics. It's lightweight and inexpensive, and helps reduce water loss from the skin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Topping the reservoir up is one of the remedies for the noise, less air available to get in the system. Leave a little room at the top for expansion.
This doesn't always work, though. If the reservoir is badly clogged, you need to replace it or remove it and do a thorough cleanup which can be a pain in the ass. Just replace the whole thing.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,617 Posts
This doesn't always work, though. If the reservoir is badly clogged, you need to replace it or remove it and do a thorough cleanup which can be a pain in the ass. Just replace the whole thing.
You are correct. Any hydraulic pump forced to work starved will cause cavitation, very bad for the system.

Doubt adding fluid would help, cavitation is caused by liquid being vaporized, not by air entering the system.

·
Super Moderator
22,914 Posts
You are correct. Any hydraulic pump forced to work starved will cause cavitation, very bad for the system.

Doubt adding fluid would help, cavitation is caused by liquid being vaporized, not by air entering the system.
Adding more fluid definitely does work.

Ford owners have reduced power steering whine by adding friction modifier. Aftermarket power steering fluids may have friction modifier as well.
Friction modifiers and mild anti-wear agents are polar molecules added to lubricants for the purpose of minimizing light surface contacts (sliding and rolling) that may occur in a given machine design. These are also called boundary lubrication additives.

To increase the friction coefficient of a fluid, you simply REDUCE the amount of Friction Modifier that you add to the fluid. Likewise, to reduce the coefficient of friction of a fluid, you increase the amount of friction modifier in the fluid. Chatter is caused by dynamic friction, which is also called "stick-slip."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Overfilling mine with generic P/S fluid fixes 95% of the noise in mine. I just received my new Mopar reservoir and will swap in the next couple days, filling with ATF+4. I'll check back in with the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I had the whine issue, I pulled the reservoir & cleaned everything just like a new reservoir. That didn't do anything so I had to buy a new pump. I got a reman pump on ebay or rockauto. It wasn't that bad to change out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A way to increase the noise is to use a remanufactured power steering pump.
Why yes, I was looking for a way to increase the noise! Everyone else just wants to get rid of it.
That's pretty funny.

Seriously, removed the res and backflushed with Brakleen because it sounded like a flock of geese
were trapped under the hood and I'm too cheap to buy a $10 res.

It worked!

Then it came back, and I'm too lazy to flush it again.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It worked!

Then it came back, and I'm too lazy to flush it again.
Before I ever came here to Mopar Minivan Garage (I suppose we don't call it that anymore)... Mom wanted to get a new vehicle because of the whine/groan (geese) under the hood. She was convinced the van was on the way out.

I didn't know about the reservoir filter, but I did know her mechanic boyfriend (89 year old) was having dementia and confusion.... likely put the wrong stuff in as he was used to the old days and such.

We, mom and I, set up a few hoses, funnels, and milk jugs and were able to do a steering fluid change with ATF+4, mom behind the wheel, starting the van and cranking the steering from stop to stop while the front tires were jacked off the ground.
She enjoyed being part of the fix and feeling relevant. :)

The geese calmed down considerably. A year or so later, after mom's passing, I acquired this van and joined the site. I learned about the reservoir and I changed it. I wish I could have done that for her too, but she didn't really drive much that last year.

LONG WINDED, sorry.
Point being, I think that perhaps, sometimes the fluid gets particulate matter in it and that is what clogs the internal filter. A fluid change (as described above) is warranted AND then, a new reservoir. Your mileage may vary.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,545 Posts
There are generic inline filters you can buy for the transmission fluid, and I think it could also be installed in the return line to the reservoir. Only problem with that idea, is what happens when the little filter clogs up? It would be nice to be able to install a filter system like the engine has, only miniaturized so it would have a thermostat and a bypass. That would probably put an end to replacing the reservoir, and just replace a filter now and then.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,803 Posts
The reservoir acts as a filter IMO. ;) It is cheap enough to replace every few years.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,617 Posts
There are generic inline filters you can buy for the transmission fluid, and I think it could also be installed in the return line to the reservoir....... That would probably put an end to replacing the reservoir, and just replace a filter now and then.
The way it is is just fine. How often you have to replace the P.S. reservoir? Every 15 - 20 years?

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,803 Posts
The way it is is just fine. How often you have to replace the P.S. reservoir? Every 15 - 20 years?
More like 5 - 7 years or so on ours (160K miles presently). Replaced twice...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, there you go, a new product idea, redundant, absolutely unneeded and useless.

It'll sell like hotcakes

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Mencken

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,617 Posts
More like 5 - 7 years or so on ours (160K miles presently). Replaced twice...
Well, then they don't need to re-design the reservoir/strainer.They need to find and fix where all this debris is coming from.

By the way, I never had to replace a reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
22,914 Posts
Well, then they don't need to re-design the reservoir/strainer.They need to find and fix where all this debris is coming from.

By the way, I never had to replace a reservoir.
You haven't lived. :)

Most reservoirs are remote from the power steering pump these days, provides more options as to where to put the power steering pump IMO. Reservoir problems are prevalent across manufacturers.

You are not steering your vehicles enough. :)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts