The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 DGC sxt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
2016 Dodge GC, 98k miles. P0303 code. New plugs switched coils, no change. I'm assuming that if it's not a bad injector, that my head is bad?? I'd also assume that Dodge would tell me an outrageous price to replace a defective head, as it's out of warranty.
Besides burning out my 02 sensors early with unburned fuel, what other damage am I looking at if I cannot afford to fix?
The van idles rough, bouncing from 800 to just over 1k rpm. Acceleration is rough. My wife is in tears over this, as it is our first car purchase in 20 years. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
197 Posts
I wouldn’t jump to a bad head just yet.

I went through a P0303 last June with my 2014 T&C.

My issue ended up being a bad rocker arm which started eating into one of the cam shafts. Bad rockers are common problems with the mid 201x model year 3.6’s.

Less than $200 worth of parts, tools and assistance from Youtube and this forum got my van back on the road and running well. If you also have a bad cam, it could add an additional $300 to fix the issue (total of ~$500 for parts, tools & gear).

I’d continue your troubleshooting by swapping the cylinder 3 fuel injector with one from another cylinder to see if the misfire follows the injector.

If you have a mechanic’s stethoscope, I’d put it up against the valve cover in the vicinity of cylinder 3 while the engine is running. Mechanic’s stethoscopes are less than $20 on Amazon.

My misfiring cylinder was “jingling” much more than any of the other five cylinders - leading me to remove the valve cover to discover grooves worn into one of the lobes servicing cylinder 3.

After listening to the other cylinders, you’ll be able to detect any anomalous sounds emanating from cylinder 3 to know if you’ve got a bad rocker.

If the fuel injector seems good and you don’t hear any anomalous sounds, I’d then do a compression & leak down test on all six cylinders - definitely cylinders 1, 3, and 5.

We can go from that point if those steps don’t reveal any glaring issues.

·
Registered
2016 DGC sxt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on fixed income, so I'm trying to find a stethoscope to borrow. Can I use a long screwdriver and medical stethoscope?

·
Registered
2016 DGC sxt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.... compression is less than 100 psi on the rear bank, 1 3 and 5. The extent of my abilities will end after pulling the cover and inspecting the rockers and cam.
If it is anything more than that, I will have to sell the van as a loss. Never been this upset with a vehicle. On the other hand, I have never enjoyed a vehicle as much, until now.
I guess Dodge life expectancy is less than half of what I'm used to.
I will update again on Monday.

·
Registered
2016 DGC sxt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Cam lobe was completely ground down on cyl. 3. Rocker arm and lash adjusters were toast. $1600 altogether. Not happy, but at least it wasn't the head.
Turns out my passenger sliding door lock actuator isn't working now. Sigh....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts