The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, for the third time in the last 45 years I've managed to break a leg. Annoying as heck, but there it is.

The good news is this may be the least traumatic break of the three; I got owned by a horse yesterday when he slipped on the ice and while in the process of regaining his balance, knocked me over, breaking my left fibula in the process. I'll be visiting an orthopaedic sturgeon [sic] on Friday for the prognosis on my recovery.

For my last broken leg in 2003 I was able to sling my casted right leg over into the passenger footwell of our minivan and drive left footed; this time I cannot find a comfortable position for my casted left leg in my van. I can get comfortable in my TL, unfortunately that car has three pedals under the dash, so driving it will be difficult. Looks like I'll be home-bound for a few weeks. :p

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Oh boy, that's not good. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Any other damage besides bone?

How did the horse make out and who is going to take care of it now.

Lots of icy driveways and walkways around here. The wet snow and rain from Sunday/Monday froze quickly late Monday before the water could get out of it.

When I broke my femur, at the stem to the ball at the hip, skiing (April 21st, 2017), I didn't feel any pain, but my leg felt like a spring, being held together by skin, muscle and tendons. I was pinned/rodded/wired/screwed together and never had a cast. Was using crutches and driving my standard shift Jeep in May. Got permission to drive, with conditions, from the Doctor in June.

I would be interested in knowing more about your break and the prognosis. Sounds like you are experienced at this. :sad: You are giving "brake" a whole new meaning. :)

Cheers.

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks my friend.

The horse had the benefit of borium shoes which grip pretty well on the ice. He never actually went down, he just clattered around a bit and got himself sorted, unfortunately I was already on the ground and broken by then. One of the granddaughters on the farm was behind me bringing another horse out and she said not only did he knock me over, he drug (or is it dragged) me fifteen to twenty feet before he stopped. It all happened so fast I don't really remember it.

The owners of the farm are being really good about it, they've arranged for coverage for the rest of this week and next; hopefully I can get into a walking boot after that. If not, my wife and I will conspire to get the horses taken care of.

Yikes, a broken femur is potentially dangerous as bone marrow can get into the blood stream and that is almost instant death. Glad you're okay.

My second broken leg was the worst, I was doing something incredibly reckless and stupid, I was picking up my (then 5 and 7 year old) kids from day/after school care when I slipped in a puddle of water out front; said puddle had a layer of ice below the water. My left foot did the slipping while my right foot was still down in the parking lot, and when I fell forward, the toe of my right foot caught the curb. I heard the tibia and fibula bot snap and before I even hit the ground my brain said, "Yup, it's broke." The good news was the breaks were pretty clean, a few plates and pins and they were in good shape and healed within about a month; the bad news was I also tore the foot off in the fall and that forced me into non-weight-bearing mode for six months and then another three months in a walking boot. Not a good year. :p

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Yes, it all happens pretty fast but in slow motion as well.

I was in a McDonald's, a few years back, when an older fellow walked past across the aisle about 30 feet away. Floors were wet and out went his right foot/leg in front of him, down on his back he went, but didn't hit his head. He didn't seem hurt at all, said he knew how to fall because he was a skier. :) I can still picture it happening, frame by frame.

I gave them my name as a witness but never heard anything afterward.

Broken foot bones can be nasty and troublesome to heal. You did well.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
How did your visit with the OS go?

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did your visit with the OS go?
Way better than expected. :partytime:

The surgeon evaluated my x-rays and then asked me a bunch of questions; the most important was, "After you broke your left leg, did you walk around on it much before you got to the Urgent Care center?"

I related to him I had gotten back up, and consulted with the family who owns the farm; the decision was made to bring the horses back in as there was just too much ice. I walked out into the pasture and managed to get the halter back on the horse and walked him back out of the pasture, over the ice where I had fallen, and then back to the barn. I then changed out of my barn clothes and then drove my 6-Speed TL over to the Urgent Care center, unfortunately Mr. Murphy came along for the ride; I hit virtually every traffic light and traffic backup possible, and needless to say, my clutch work was not at its finest. :p

After relating the story to him I was expecting to get "lectured to" in the same way the Urgent Care doctor did. Instead he said, "That's great, what this means is you've been able to put pressure on it and not cause the fracture to displace. I'm going to recommend you get a walking boot and use it when you're out and about, and keep the boot off when you're home. I want you to gradually start walking (with the boot on) over the next week, and when you can walk relatively well, I don't see any reason why you cannot drive your car with a manual transmission."

So, things are pretty good, I'm still in a fair amount of pain, but I am using just one crutch and gently working my left leg to get around; I'm hoping to be able to get around with just the boot by next weekend.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Way better than expected. :partytime:
So, things are pretty good, I'm still in a fair amount of pain, but I am using just one crutch and gently working my left leg to get around; I'm hoping to be able to get around with just the boot by next weekend.
Hi, I am sorry to hear what happened to you... but I am also happy for the good news!

I wish you a full and speedy recovery!
p.s. say hello to your wife from all of us!

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Thanks, that's a very positive report. :thumb:

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I am sorry to hear what happened to you... but I am also happy for the good news!

I wish you a full and speedy recovery!
p.s. say hello to your wife from all of us!
Will do Miron, thanks!

Thanks, that's a very positive report. :thumb:
Thanks Jeeper!

I thought broken fibula doesn't get much attention or a cast.

Glad you are OK now.
Thanks Levy. Well, there are broken fibulas, and then there are B-R-O-K-E-N fibulas; I've had both. The one described above from 2003 (the daycare incident) included so much bone damage and soft tissue trauma I required surgery to get screwed back together AND six-months non-weight bearing in a rigid cast and then three more months in a walking boot.

My current one is a clean snap an inch and a half or so above the ankle, as long as I don't damage it further it will heal on its own, however, if I fall again (remember L-O-T-S of ice around here) then it may require surgery and a plate to correct.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Maybe you should wear skates permanently for the next couple of months. :) Lots of ice here too.

Yes be careful with ice. It gives very little warning.

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you should wear skates permanently for the next couple of months. :) Lots of ice here too.

Yes be careful with ice. It gives very little warning.
Ice skates, LOLz. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Greetings shipo. Here’s hoping for a quick and full recovery. :thumb:

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,289 Posts
Wow, what a way to start the year! Glad you're on the road to recovery with a positive prognosis.

It's been a heck of a winter here so far, more snow than we've had in some time. One of our friends bought and uses some ice cleats that stick to the bottom of your shoes using springs, and they are sized to your shoe size. We have a driveway on an incline and she fell once, but hasn't again since using the cleats.

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, what a way to start the year! Glad you're on the road to recovery with a positive prognosis.

It's been a heck of a winter here so far, more snow than we've had in some time. One of our friends bought and uses some ice cleats that stick to the bottom of your shoes using springs, and they are sized to your shoe size. We have a driveway on an incline and she fell once, but hasn't again since using the cleats.
Thanks, I have a couple sets of YakTrax and other spikes I can put on my shoes; unfortunately they won't help much when a horse loses his balance and knocks you over. :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glad your feeling better and the horses are too. Reminded me when I broke tibia and fibula back in early '70s. Running down the road with a friend when I look up at him and he's frantically waving at me to evidently get off the road. I look back and see a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass about 2 feet behind me. That's the day I started not liking '68 Cutlass's LoL

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad your feeling better and the horses are too. Reminded me when I broke tibia and fibula back in early '70s. Running down the road with a friend when I look up at him and he's frantically waving at me to evidently get off the road. I look back and see a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass about 2 feet behind me. That's the day I started not liking '68 Cutlass's LoL
Thanks; yeah, tib/fib breaks suck big time (did that back in 2003), by contrast, a cleanly broken fibula looks more like a deep cut with a few stitches than anything else. :p

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
How's that broken leg doing? Must have messed up your snowshoeing.

·
Latent car nut
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How's that broken leg doing? Must have messed up your snowshoeing.
Yeah, my snowshoes started collecting dust as of that day. :(

The good news is the orthopedic sturgeon didn't put me in a cast so I was able to carefully continue using the leg. I used two crutches for a couple of weeks, then one crutch for a few more weeks, and then a cane for a month. I had my two-month checkup last week and he told me, "You're easily a month ahead of where you should be following the break; keep doing what you're doing, but I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!" I've gradually started a walk-jog routine on a local snowmobile trail which has a nice soft dirt surface; my goal is to rehab the leg well enough to finish a 5K my company helps to sponsor in August in less than a half hour. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts