The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All41,

My overhead console display and buttons were all working fine. One day it got bumped when someone was trying to walk through from the front passenger seat to get to the rear.

Not sure if it's just coincidence but next time I tried starting the car, the battery was almost 100% dead. I put a good battery in to start the engine and it was charging ok but when I shut it off there was a very large electrical drain occurring. I wasn't aware and ruined battery # 2 in a day or two.

Looking into things led me to discover the display had stopped working. Fairly certain it was fine before parking the car with battery 2 in it. Removing the display and circuit board stopped the battery drain. The minvan has been functional since then without the use of the overhead console features.

The two buttons you hold to reset the trip odo and fuel economy logging, have never gotten stuck in or out. They still feel as though they are ok, even now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd check the wires in the overhead console. Sounds like you have a short somewhere there. Note that the some of the map lights are live all the time, so there is power which could get shorted.

Also check the connectors for the trip computer buttons and for the rear quarter window switches (which you likely have if you have a trip computer).

As noted above, all the power for everything in the overhead console runs through the connectors in the trip computer. Also wondering if a connector on the trip computer circuit board got flexed, and maybe broken, with a pin shorting out. If so, that would be a relatively easy fix. I'd first look at the connector that I jury rigged for the map lights, as this is the circuit which stays live with the ignition off.

Good luck.

All41,

My overhead console display and buttons were all working fine. One day it got bumped when someone was trying to walk through from the front passenger seat to get to the rear.

Not sure if it's just coincidence but next time I tried starting the car, the battery was almost 100% dead. I put a good battery in to start the engine and it was charging ok but when I shut it off there was a very large electrical drain occurring. I wasn't aware and ruined battery # 2 in a day or two.

Looking into things led me to discover the display had stopped working. Fairly certain it was fine before parking the car with battery 2 in it. Removing the display and circuit board stopped the battery drain. The minvan has been functional since then without the use of the overhead console features.

The two buttons you hold to reset the trip odo and fuel economy logging, have never gotten stuck in or out. They still feel as though they are ok, even now.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts