The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need. Anyone ever try to fix one that has stays black? Lights all work in the console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue on my 92 Grand Voyager. A diode on the circuit board burnt out. Every one I have found in other vans, or Jeep Grand Cherokees has also been burnt in that same spot. I may yet luck out and find a usable one....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other vehicles can I get one from that fits ? I see you mentioned Grand Cherokees but what years ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe from 91-94 at least, the compass, temp display, and remote locking/unlocking were available on the Cherokee limited, and spread to the Grand Chrokee, and the minivans too. I have noticed though, that some of the Grand Cherokee have different wiring and plugs for the overhead circuit board.this has happened twice to me. Good luck. There must be a few still out there, undamaged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep looking. On mine there is a discreet component that looks s thought the leads to it got hot. I may try to get a new one of those discreet components and see if I can solder it in. Will let you know.

It's not a diode. It looks like it's some type of transistor or power regulator and is mounted on a big heat sink. No idea why it decided to die after all these years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll keep looking. On mine there is a discreet component that looks s thought the leads to it got hot. I may try to get a new one of those discreet components and see if I can solder it in. Will let you know.

It's not a diode. It looks like it's some type of transistor or power regulator and is mounted on a big heat sink. No idea why it decided to die after all these years.
You know, mine is the sme way, it is a resistor, not a diode, it looks like where the two circuit boards meet, it burnt, on one side, and got soot on the other side. I showed it to a friend that sugg.ested I try to replace the resistor.i will photograph it

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Grand Caravan is a '94 AWD and it seems to have some things in it that are different than the earlier 2nd generation minivans. Maybe what got used in the 3rd generation, not sure.

The mini compass computer and display in mine are different. It looks like capacitance was increased and can handle what used to burn them out. Now, instead the 5 pin component burns out when whatever happened, happens.

92awdgrandVvyager ... is this the other type you keep finding ?

burnt component.JPG
component side.JPG back side.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same issue on my 92 Grand Voyager. A diode on the circuit board burnt out. Every one I have found in other vans, or Jeep Grand Cherokees has also been burnt in that same spot. I may yet luck out and find a usable one....
The circuit board you have looks just like the one from our '91 Grand Voyager. What caused the damage is a failed capacitor (the upright round can covered in black shrink wrap with a white stripe on one side). When these fail they can spray a caustic substance all over the circuit board, damaging other components. The horizontal item nearest the camera in your first photo is a resistor, but it's not the culprit.

When I took down the overhead console in ours I found that both of the buttons that control the trip computer were jammed down, because the housing around them had warped slightly. I found another overhead console with the same trip computer in a junkyard, and it had the same problem with the buttons both stuck down. Pushing both buttons down is the "reset" command for the trip computer. I've wondered if this caused overload, as all three of the black can capacitors on mine leaked. However, this type of capacitor is notorious for failing and damaging circuit boards.

I've used a rotary tool to slightly enlarge the holes for the buttons, and now they don't stick. I'm trying to find an electronics shop that can repair the trip computer's circuit board, so far with no success. I'll keep looking for a replacement trip computer module, but have little faith in finding one which actually works.

I have read that the trip computers are model-year specific, as they have to interface with the vehicle's engine control computer, which varies from year to year. So if looking for a replacement, try to find one from the same model year. However, you should be able to use one from a Dodge Caravan or Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager or Grand Voyager, or a Town & Country. Not sure if any of the ones used on Jeeps are compatible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Grand Caravan is a '94 AWD and it seems to have some things in it that are different than the earlier 2nd generation minivans. Maybe what got used in the 3rd generation, not sure.

The mini compass computer and display in mine are different. It looks like capacitance was increased and can handle what used to burn them out. Now, instead the 5 pin component burns out when whatever happened, happens.

92awdgrandVvyager ... is this the other type you keep finding ?

View attachment 57100
tirebiter -

I'm not completely clear on which component you think has failed.

Take a look at 92awdgrandVvyager's first photo. What's under the black capacitor on his looks burned.

From the photos you posted, it looks like you might have had leakage from the capacitor closest to the "legs" sticking out from the black component nearest the camera in the photo above. The corrosion caused by leaking capacitors looks a lot like burning. You might want to check the nearest gray capacitor ("HS9408" printed on it) to see if it's the source of the "burn". If so, replacing all three of the gray capacitors might fix your circuit board. (And, cleaning up the corrosion from the leak, if that's indeed the cause.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ps: Both of you have circuit boards which look like they could be repaired. The ones I have look like someone took a blowtorch to parts of them. (Still hoping someone can cobble together one working board from the two I have.)

These capacitors are supposed to fail by bulging at the top. That's why they are scored with an "X" on top. However, on both of the circuit boards I have the capacitors leaked from the bottom. And because all three leaked, there is more extensive damage. If you do find someone who can repair them, replace all three "can" shaped capacitors, even if they have not failed yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I finally got around to seeing if I could desolder and remove what looks to me like a burned IC chip. The black heat sink had to be removed and then the 5 "legs" from the chip. It's an ST Semiconductor (brand name) chip, L4947H and it's a voltage regulator.

The capacitor looks ok not bulging like other bad capacitors I have coome across in other circuits but there is some of the black residue on the bottom of it. The black stuff certainly looks like it surrounded 2 of the leads of the L4947H but it would have had to run uphill to sorround only those two IC pins like that. The +Volts in (pin 1) and Ground (pin 3).

I also took off the capacitor (Nichicon 100microfarad/35V) that was closest to the L4947H. It looks like it possibly could be bad but not sure. I'll see if I can get both pieces and will post my results here.

The black stuff scrapes off fairly easily and it looks more like ash to me than stuff that may have leaked from the capacitor. It seems like the green coating burnt off from heat but the leads 1,3 on the IC do not look as tough they got very hot. Maybe it is some toxic stuff from the capacitor and it dissolved the green coating. Turning it into a dry ash-type deposit. I dunno ???

burnt components.JPG
component identification.JPG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it turns out, the regulator is an obsolete part. I didn't bother to try to figure out a good substitute. I was able to find a supplier that say they have some in stock so I ordered 2 plus 6 of the capacitors ... just in case I fumble the installation.

Supposedly the parts will be here in 3-5 days. Will report back when I have tried to install them and see if the panel works again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe it is some toxic stuff from the capacitor and it dissolved the green coating. Turning it into a dry ash-type deposit. I dunno ???
Yes. That's it exactly. All of the capacitors on the two modules I have leaked from the bottom.

The capacitors on mine were Nichicon 100uF 35v - dimensions about 7mm x 12 mm.

These are the replacements I got, Kemet ESL107M050AGMAA, but the board needs more work before they can be installed:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I soldered the new capacitors in. Not easy and I have a feeling these are multi-layer bards and therefore cannot be repaired. Regardless, it did not light up when I plugged it in. Then I noticed a round back spot in the clear cover, over the display.

Here is the photo I took a month ago. Not sure why I never noticed the back spot but there it is. Look at the bottom right of the display next to where it has "L/100km".

I don't think that black spot was ever there when it was working. It obviously was there about a month ago, when I took the photograph.

I officially give up trying to fix this overhead console mini trip computer display. If anyone finds a source for repairs or replacements, please fill us all in.

component side.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Success!
We now have a working Compass/Trip Computer in our 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE, courtesy of Southern Electronics, Richmond, VA.

I had tried to do the repair myself. After removing the damaged capacitors, my attempts at cleaning of the trip computer circuit board dislodged one of the tiny "SMD" (surface mount device) items near two of the bad capacitors. The circuit board was badly damaged there. I could not repair this. There was also extensive damage where the single capacitor was:

The second trip computer I'd gotten from a '91 Dodge Caravan LE was as badly damaged:

I sent both boards to Southern Electronics in Richmond, VA, with a request that they repair the original one.
They were able to rebuild the circuit board, and replaced the failed capacitors with similar but higher temperature ones. They also said it all tested OK. Guessing that the compass function works regardless of input from the car on other features. Charge was $150 including shipping both ways.

Circuit board after repair:

SMD repaired with new trace on circuit board:

After Repair-Southern Electronics.jpg

The trip computer routes the wiring for the overhead console lights and the switches for the rear quarter windows. I removed wiring harness and map light connectors from the '91 Dodge Grand Caravan's trip computer, and mounted them in a small plastic box I had. This allowed the overhead console lights to work while the trip computer was out for repair. (I didn't worry about being able to open the quarter windows.)

Wiring box mounted in overhead console:

Wiring box vs. trip computer:

Wiring diagram for overhead console lights:

·
Registered
41 Posts
One thing to emphasize:
On our Grand Voyager and on the Grand Caravan I got the second trip computer from, both control buttons for the trip computer were stuck pushed in.

Pushing both buttons at the same time resets the trip computer. It's possible that having it stuck in reset position contributed to the capacitors failing.

I removed the module with the two buttons from our overhead console and used a rotary tool to shave down the openings for the buttons so that neither one sticks. Strongly recommend you check this if you get your trip computer repaired.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SUCCESS ! Congratulations on getting it fixed All41. Thatnks for posting the wire diagram. It might work the same in mine without the display.

Maybe if I ever come across one for my '94, I'll try again but I have never been able to find any used ones at all. Might take a stab at looking in old Jeeps to see. This gives me a little hope that maybe someday ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Be aware that the trip computers are supposed to be model year specific. They get their info from the main electronics box in the dash. I was not able to determine if any from a Jeep would work in a minivan.

Check trip computer buttons in your overhead console. Curious if yours are also both stuck pushed in. If it happens with '94s too, then it's likely an issue for all models '91-'95. Which also means you are unlikely to find a working one.

The second one I found was from a '91 Grand Caravan, vs. our '91 Grand Voyager. Got it at a local Pull-a-Part. I've found that the yards that let you collect your own parts have an online list of vehicles in the yard. If you have one near you, check it periodically to see if the've got a '94.

Good luck.

SUCCESS ! Congratulations on getting it fixed All41. Thatnks for posting the wire diagram. It might work the same in mine without the display.

Maybe if I ever come across one for my '94, I'll try again but I have never been able to find any used ones at all. Might take a stab at looking in old Jeeps to see. This gives me a little hope that maybe someday ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts