The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Old meets new.

731 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Spong 
#1 ·
This weekend I washed, clay barred and got a fresh coat of wax on my TC while the weather is still nice.
I have to say that this is one chore that I didn't miss having to do over the years. My 94 hasn't been worthy of a full detailing for a long time. To give you an idea of how long its been, my clay bar kit was dated 1994 and the wax bottle was dated 1991.
At least on an older vehicle a coat of wax gets it looking shining again. On a new one all your doing it maintenance. My new van really doesn't like any different after an afternoon of polishing except that I have all of the bug spots off of it now.
I would have included some pics but it rained all day so I had to work in my garage, not the best place to take whole van shots.
It does feel good to know I'm ready for winter.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#2 ·
I have the same trouble with our vehicles. I spend all day, claying and polishing, and sealing and then they still just look clean after.

It's a good thing with silver and other lighter colours, but also annoying as you don't see a MAJOR SUPER BIG improvement after spending all day working on them.

#3 ·
What you're really doing with claying and polishing and waxing is maintaining the surface of your paint really, the clay bar gets rid of the horrible parts, the polish smooths it all out then the wax is just a protective coating, so you won't necessarily see the difference, but after a good wax look at the vehicle when it rains and just watch the water bead off. When ever I clean up my PT I can notice a difference in the shine (its Inferno Red so its quite easy to see any difference).

#4 ·
I try to clay all of my vehicles at least once a year. I wax them once every month or two. I just waxed the van again over the weekend because we're going out of town for a wedding. This is coat number 3 or 4 on the van now. I always like to leave town with the vehicle freshly waxed and Rain-x'd.

To be honest, if you're doing a good job maintaining the finish, you shouldn't see a huge improvement after detailing. My vehicles at age 10 look better than most people's 2 year old vehicles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.