The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK she been sitting a long time, it's the 3.8 AWD version.

I managed to get it to fire a bit on a little dribble of gas on the air cleaner (then button it up tight so it won't catch a spark), but turning it over again and again did not get it to run. I also never heard any fuel pump action (not sure I would, and I did not have an assistant).

So I have no way to test fuel pressure currently, but when should that pump run? Shouldn't it be running with the key in the on position, but not turning it over?

I have an old Subaru (carburated) that the pump only engages with the starter or if the car runs, but I imagine an EFI fue rail takes so much more presssure it would have to start earlier?

Anyway, if I have to replace the fuel pump I till. Will be my first in tank fuel pump replacement. I see they are quite spendy at the auto store, but a unit that looks identical (yes I know looking identical doesn't make it so), but on ebay it's a little over $50? I'm poor af and need to save every penny I can. It claims lifetime warranty? I have had mostly good luck with ebay parts, so I hope they are OK< can anyone say from experience?

Anyway thanks. If this rig has a decent tranny, I think I might end up liking it quite a lot. It's an ugly beater with body damage, btut it looks like a decent ride from the inside. I am impressed with the horsepower number advertized ofr this little 3.8 too not a racecar, but respectable, look forward to trying her out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a "new old stock" fuel pump off eBay for $60
On eBay, enter your car and age info and the appropriate type of part should appear.
Only time an eBay part has let me down is when a jackass seller didn't box it right and the part arrived smashed to bits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I hear the fuel pump with the key on but not turning over? Or is it too quiet? I was making this thread as you were replying to the other. Good ideas, I'm not very experienced with fuel injectors. I guess it's a testament to the quality of most of them, it's something I've always had just work trouble free.

I have a bad feeling it's a varnish isssue. I guess fuel pump would be worse, but somehow injectors are more intimidating than fuel tanks and pumps to me anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would I hear the fuel pump with the key on but not turning over? Or is it too quiet?
I couldn't hear it.
Some people say they can, but I couldn't.

Doing a job to pull and clean the fuel injectors is the same procedure as doing spark plugs, with just the added step of removing the fuel rail, since in both jobs the biggest hurdle is removing the intake manifold.

If you do a new fuel filter and in tank pump, it couldn't hurt to pull the injectors and clean them while the fuel system is apart. Look on youtube for tips on cleaning fuel injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH this damn thing looks like two strong guys could easily pull the motor, maybe with tranny attached, no hoist. Looks really small and the hood area surprisingly roomy. Nothing like some of the evil Ford transverse sixes I've owned. Damn things nearly needed the engine unmounted and lifted to change the plugs in the back. I have respect for a well cared for Ford Taurus, but most folks trashed and junked them badly. In a Taurus, wrong tranny fluid means rapid deterioration of the clutches and and bands. Not only was the Taurus fairly low end, but it's owners dumped anytghing with ATF on the label in the then wondered why their trannies slipped.

Is this an issue with these as well? I was told with Ford it's just cheap clutch and band material that requires a very specific formulation to work properly, and I've found if you respect that, they're right.

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
Not only was the Taurus fairly low end, but it's owners dumped anytghing with ATF on the label in the then wondered why their trannies slipped.

Is this an issue with these as well? I was told with Ford it's just cheap clutch and band material that requires a very specific formulation to work properly, and I've found if you respect that, they're right.
Yes it's an issue with these. Using ATF/+4 is recommended

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I haven't torn into it yet, but I put some injector cleaner in the tank to no avail. I begin to wonder how much time I should put in it, as I have noticed that after it sits, there is a definite and GNARLY engine knock until it gets oil circulated with the rotation of the starter (starter is strong as ****). It's looking less and less appealing for sure. Have not decided how far to go just yet. Been very cold lately out, not a lot of money or motivation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I can't say "knock" as knock implies a sharper sound. This is more of a "thump" like one thump or so per rotation, but only till oil circulates.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually I can't say "knock" as knock implies a sharper sound. This is more of a "thump" like one thump or so per rotation, but only till oil circulates.
One of the lifters could be sticking, which can either be a simple thing due to the engine sitting and will resolve itself when the engine is actually started and HOT oil works around it, or it could be a sign of bigger issues.

You could also pull the oil pan and look for any metal where there shouldn't be, and I think on this engine you could inspect the cam and connecting rods with the pan off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that's just it. the thump isn't like any lifter I have heard. Plus I still haven't gotten it to run, so cold oil seems to stop the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that cold oil stops the sound after say 30 seconds of rotation, I expect it's a rod or bearing knock. Never known cold oil to fill a lifter.

In any case, perhaps I will sell some parts for you folks.... Have not decided yet.

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
I hear the fuel pump run in my '94. A very quiet whine/hum/buzz sound. Only when I turn the key on and before I turn the ignition switch to the start position. The noise stops after about 5 seconds, maybe several more. The fuel pump is too quiet to hear whether or not it's running while cranking the starter and after the engine starts. I assume it is because the engine runs fine.

It could be stuck. Try banging the bottom of the gas tank. It might jar the pump motor loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts