The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
so, since we're kinda on the subject of oil filters...

i don't think my oil filter has been changed recently at all, at least for the last 2 oil changes when i started looking and the last 3 times i saw it on a lift

not sure anyone at the little oil change place i take it to knows or cares to change oil filters, i just figured they did it all as part of the "package"

they did change one of my license plate bulbs for free though, so maybe we're still even

hows this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L2XPBK/

i have no idea how "good" royal purple is, i just like their branding and the reviews seem okay
Their oil is good but I don't know that it's Royal. Check it out to see if it's a Group III or IV Base oil. Pour Point comparison will be revealing..

Filter could be made by WIX based on the bypass valve being located at the base.

If the Mechanics are working by the job, hard to say what you are getting. Everything is rushed to maximize on the number of jobs.

Compare the color of your oil before and after the oil change. Check the filter and drain plug for tightness. Make sure they reinstalled the filler cap (a common omission).

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
so, since we're kinda on the subject of oil filters...

i don't think my oil filter has been changed recently at all, at least for the last 2 oil changes when i started looking and the last 3 times i saw it on a lift

not sure anyone at the little oil change place i take it to knows or cares to change oil filters, i just figured they did it all as part of the "package"

they did change one of my license plate bulbs for free though, so maybe we're still even

hows this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L2XPBK/

i have no idea how "good" royal purple is, i just like their branding and the reviews seem okay
Unless you are going to practice very long oil filter change intervals, like 15,000 miles or more, then a Royal Purple oil filter is a waste of money.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,605 Posts
Unless you are going to practice very long oil filter change intervals, like 15,000 miles or more, then a Royal Purple oil filter is a waste of money.
Royal Purple "was" very popular withing the street racing guys, not anymore.

Yes, waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
Royal Purple "was" very popular withing the street racing guys, not anymore.

Yes, waste of money.
All depends on how you look at it. :)

Cost of Royal Purple filter: $15.00
Striking purple color adds to engine bay cosmetics: -$5.00
99% efficiency (synthetic) vs 93% (normal cellulose filter): -$6.00
Silicone vs nitrile ADV: -$2.00
Can be sold for reuse: -$2.00
Bypass valve in base instead of cap end: Say a wash.
Cost of regular filter: -$5.00

Money wasted: None. $5.00 to the good. Do the math. :LOL:

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the venerable 3.3 and 3.8 liter V6 engines, you can easily go 10,000 miles on an oil change. I've been doing that since the 1990s on all of our vans, and have even sent out four used oil samples for analysis, and they have all come back showing the contaminates and additive package were all within spec. Needless to say, I only use top quality synthetic oil in the vans.

Regarding the oil filter, the recommendation right in your Owner's Manual is to change the filter every other oil change, so you can easily get away with 15,000 miles between filter changes, and probably over 20,000 miles if you upgrade to the full size filter which has considerably more media inside. The oversized filter which works the best on my vans is the Motorcraft FL-1A, if for no other reason than the anti-drainback valve works better than literally every other filter I've tried.
My owner's manual says,
"Engine Oil Filter
The engine oil filter should be replaced at every engine
oil change."

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
My owner's manual says,
"Engine Oil Filter
The engine oil filter should be replaced at every engine
oil change."
Only true for some vans. All four of our vans clearly stated every other oil change.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,542 Posts
That just seems backwards. If I chose to keep the same oil for 10K miles I would at least change the filter halfway through and top up the oil to keep it clean.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
That just seems backwards. If I chose to keep the same oil for 10K miles I would at least change the filter halfway through and top up the oil to keep it clean.
The problem with that model is a filter with 5,000 miles on it will clean your oil WAY better than a new filter.

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
Here, you can have both intervals (oil and filter) longer: SynLube Lube‑4‑Life Motor Oil Filters :)
Longer Service Life
  • from 1 Year or 15,000 miles**
  • to up to 5 Years or 50,000 miles**
  • 2 Years or 25,000 miles
    - or -
  • 3 Year or 36,000 miles
    is typical for most applications**
    • ** Based on filter size relative to typical oil flow (volume per minute) at operating temperature.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My question is just how much difference dies it really make if I do it every 3 to 4 thousand miles versus say every ten thousand. How harmful would it be if I just pumped all the oil out with a syphon gun I have and replace the oil but not the filter, just in a pinch.
Oil has improved over the years and the old 3k mile change interval is a waste of money and bad for the environment. I go no more than 6k miles myself but the oil life monitor on my other cars suggests the life is up to 10k miles. The Dodge monitor doesn't tell you remaining life and I don't wait for it to get near zero.

As for filters, decades ago standard practice was new filter every second change. But as an engineer, I would rather change the filter and not change the oil, rather than change the oil and not the filter.

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
Nobody talks about examining the innards of the oil filters, after use, for contaminants. It's all about testing the oil.

What’s Inside Your Oil Filter? Use This Method to Find Out

You think throwing a rod while driving on the freeway is scary? Imagine complete engine failure 30,000 feet above ground in an airplane. While you let that frightening visual sink in, know that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) enforces some of the strictest regulations on aircraft repair and maintenance. So what’s that have to do with automotive tech and performance? Many of the demanding procedures laid out by the FAA on the care of aircraft engines can be directly applied to the care of your street or track car.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When I get a new to me vehicle, i'll cut open a filter, usually on prebuy inspection, (ps bring another oil filter just in case you decide not to purchase) then roll out the pleats to see what i can see. Only one time did i see what looked like the scrap from a metal lathe... lol, no deal...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When I first started doing this in aviation, a hundred years ago, we had a cutter like this (similar to a large tubing cutter),
Another shop we used a standard Stanley utility knife. Yes, it can be done. DO NOT USE A HACKSAW... results inconclusive... ;)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,605 Posts
Nice to see what's inside your oil filter but then, what you gonna do?

I've never tempted to look at my used oil filters, not even on the 3.6 cartridge filters.

I cannot even imagine at you checking filters of cars you are looking at buying. :oops:

Every now and then I'm tempted to open "new" filters, just to be more informed next time I buy a filter, but then I remember others already did it for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
Nice to see what's inside your oil filter but then, what you gonna do?
Keep your vehicle on the runway. :).

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,605 Posts
Keep your vehicle on the runway. :).
So, you find some metal particles in the filter media, now what?

Option 1.- Tear the engine apart to see where this metal is coming from?

Option 2.- Buy a cheaper filter that will not trap that metal?

Option 3.- Collect all that metal to be sold as scrap later on?

Option 4.- Sell your vehicle ASAP, that engine is a time bomb ready to go off.

Option 5.- All of the above.

Note: If you don't do any of the above, you'll be worried for the next 300,000 miles or so, you're not going to be able to sleep thinking your engine will self-destroy at any moment.

·
Super Moderator
22,902 Posts
So, you find some metal particles in the filter media, now what?

Option 1.- Tear the engine apart to see where this metal is coming from?

Option 2.- Buy a cheaper filter that will not trap that metal?

Option 3.- Collect all that metal to be sold as scrap later on?

Option 4.- Sell your vehicle ASAP, that engine is a time bomb ready to go off.

Option 5.- All of the above.

Note: If you don't do any of the above, you'll be worried for the next 300,000 miles or so, you're not going to be able to sleep thinking your engine will self-destroy at any moment.
Yep, tough decision. Ignorance is bliss for sure. You left out one:

Option 6.- Bypass the oil filter :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my '03 new. I've changed the oil and filter every 3500 miles, using Motorcraft 5w-20 and an FL-1 filter.
Currently has 195,000 miles on it and no problems. Don't give me any of that bullshit about how changing at 3500 miles is a waste....it isn't .

Stay away from Fram oil filters.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,605 Posts
I bought my '03 new. I've changed the oil and filter every 3500 miles, using Motorcraft 5w-20 and an FL-1 filter.
Currently has 195,000 miles on it and no problems. Don't give me any of that bullshit about how changing at 3500 miles is a waste....it isn't .

Stay away from Fram oil filters.

That's bull, I change oil every 3000 miles using Mobil 1+

I use Wix or Fram oil filter. If you in fact changes oil every 3000 miles, then it doesn't really matters what brand of oil filter you use.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts