The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
Why the smaller filters, other than to make more $?

Purolator Says Oil Filters from Group 7 by Purolator Make Techs’ Jobs Easier

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have used synthetic oil in all my cars for 15 years. I have a Concorde with the infamous 2.7 sludge engine, so it's a no brainer to use it in that car. I get it on sale and/or with a rebate and I don't think I've ever paid over $15 for a 5 quart container after rebate. With the tiny additional cost, I don't see a reason NOT to use it. In my van, I generally change it at around 10,000 miles and 5,000 in my Concorde. I'm not loyal to any one brand, but use Mobil 1 a lot and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (made from natural gas) when I can find it at a good price. There are always rebates on one brand or another.

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
I have used synthetic oil in all my cars for 15 years. I have a Concorde with the infamous 2.7 sludge engine, so it's a no brainer to use it in that car. I get it on sale and/or with a rebate and I don't think I've ever paid over $15 for a 5 quart container after rebate. With the tiny additional cost, I don't see a reason NOT to use it. In my van, I generally change it at around 10,000 miles and 5,000 in my Concorde. I'm not loyal to any one brand, but use Mobil 1 a lot and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (made from natural gas) when I can find it at a good price. There are always rebates on one brand or another.
I have Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-30 in my Van now. PLEASE DON'T TELL LEVY. The Dealership Quick Lube didn't have enough Pennzoil 5W-30 conventional oil left to do my oil change. I paid no extra and they said I could go 10,000 km instead of 5,000 km with this oil change. I didn't say anything as I was already going 10,000 to 11,000 km with the conventional oil.

What about the claim that synthetic oil flows more easily and thus runs off your engine innards more readily, I would think, than conventional after shutdown. Doesn't that worry you? ;)

PS: Pennzoil, from Natural Gas, is a step up in the quasi synthetic world. Good choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
The early Gen 4 (and older) vans came from the factory with, and specified in the Owner's Manual, the medium sized filter; those filters were rated for 15,000 miles of use (i.e. every other oil change). It wasn't until the smaller filter was used that Chrysler shorted the oil filter change interval to every oil change...
You must be thinking about a different vehicle, my 2001 used the medium size filter and the owners manual states: "The engine oil filter should be replaced at every engine oil change." I also have an owners manual for a 2000 Caravan, it specifies the same filter as the 2001, and it also specifies changing the filter at every oil change.

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
You must be thinking about a different vehicle, my 2001 used the medium size filter and the owners manual states: "The engine oil filter should be replaced at every engine oil change." I also have an owners manual for a 2000 Caravan, it specifies the same filter as the 2001, and it also specifies changing the filter at every oil change.
Keep in mind, shipo had trouble with his eyes back then. :) I believe that prior to all the sludge problems of the 1990s?, two oil changes per one filter plus extended oil changes were becoming common. That all changed, of course.

The black death of sludge

Well, then there was Honda's maintenance schedule:

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Not sure what you're reading, but both of our 1998s, our 1999, and our 2003 all specifically stated oil changes every-other oil change.

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Keep in mind, shipo had trouble with his eyes back then. :) I believe that prior to all the sludge problems of the 1990s?, two oil changes per one filter plus extended oil changes were becoming common. That all changed, of course.

The black death of sludge

Well, then there was Honda's maintenance schedule:
Neither Honda or Chrysler (other than the 2.7 V6) were known for sludging engines. Looking inside the rocker cover of the 3.8 in my T&C the rocker arms are literally spotless and nice and shiny; the same thing applies to my two Honda V6 engines.

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
Neither Honda or Chrysler (other than the 2.7 V6) were known for sludging engines. Looking inside the rocker cover of the 3.8 in my T&C the rocker arms are literally spotless and nice and shiny; the same thing applies to my two Honda V6 engines.
Yes Honda, didn't have any sludge problems. Toyota did.

Honda's problems were more related to interference engines.

You take good care of your vehicles and it shows. How's that leg doing?

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
Vehicle made in Canada or the US?

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Yes Honda, didn't have any sludge problems. Toyota did.

Honda's problems were more related to interference engines.

You take good care of your vehicles and it shows. How's that leg doing?
The range of motion is coming back, I still cannot run due to my stride being a bit asymmetrical and annoying the knee on my other leg, but I've been doing a lot of hiking, 35+ miles in the last week alone. I'm hoping to start running again this spring.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Jeepman, I agree with your assessment of the US president, and my greatest fear, being 73, is that I will die and Trump will still be president!

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
Not sure what you're reading, but both of our 1998s, our 1999, and our 2003 all specifically stated oil [filter] changes every-other oil change.
I'm reading the 2001 Caravan Owners Manual:

and the 2000 Caravan Owners Manuals:

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Interesting, we sold our 2003 something like eight years ago, Owner's Manual included, but I know we went through this discussion here maybe ten years ago and I posted the images of our (then) 1998 DGC Sport and 2003 DGC ES. I do not understand, nor can I explain why yours say one thing and my manuals said another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re condensation build up.
Say your normal trips are short and you start getting condensation build up. Then you do a longer drive, say a couple of hours every now and then – will this burn off the water vapor in the oil or is it too late?

BTW, lurking I also very much appreciate all the advice I read here from Jeepman. Also get some useful info from Road Ripper.

My online 2006 Caravan manual states that if you do short trips you should change oil and filter every 3,000 miles and under normal driving every 6 months even if driving low miles. I take it this no longer applies and I’m safe to go 12 months?

·
fix it if you can
4,884 Posts
Now you got me into this perpetual oil change mess...

If you look back at the owner's manual it states:
"The engine oil filter should be replaced at every engine oil change."

See that emphasis on should? As in, it is better for the engine if you change the filter every time.
However, it does not state filter must be changed or needs to be changed or it's required to maintain warranty...

If and when the filter gets plugged, oil will flow via bypass valve so it will put more wear on the engine (due to greater impurities). Most decent(larger) filters should be able to handle 6-10Kmi but it's up to you to decide what you want to do.

Re condensation build up.
Say your normal trips are short and you start getting condensation build up. Then you do a longer drive, say a couple of hours every now and then – will this burn off the water vapor in the oil or is it too late?
IMHO, if you don't drive the engine at N.O.T. for at least one (continuous) hour every week, stick to shorter interval (especially during winter in colder climates)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
01 DGC EX 3.8L engine with just over 276K miles, I do 10K OCI's on the oil and filter. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus Full Synthetic 5W-30 back in 2015 @ 177K miles. I've had the oil tested with Blackstone Labs starting at 5K up to 10K OCI's. The oil has held up very well and was recommended to try 13K OCI's. (I'm sticking with 10K OCI's) I use Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter - XG16 rated at 15K miles. This oil has been great and our engine has normal wear and running good. My driving habits are about 70% highway and 30% city driving. I drive for about 600 miles a week to which is about 5 hrs. a day driving Monday thru Friday.

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
01 DGC EX 3.8L engine with just over 276K miles, I do 10K OCI's on the oil and filter. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus Full Synthetic 5W-30 back in 2015 @ 177K miles. I've had the oil tested with Blackstone Labs starting at 5K up to 10K OCI's. The oil has held up very well and was recommended to try 13K OCI's. (I'm sticking with 10K OCI's) I use Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter - XG16 rated at 15K miles. This oil has been great and our engine has normal wear and running good. My driving habits are about 70% highway and 30% city driving. I drive for about 600 miles a week to which is about 5 hrs. a day driving Monday thru Friday.
With that quality of maintenance you are looking at a million miles for that engine. :)

Pure Plus Technology = superior Group Base III base oil IMO. The Pennzoil additive package is likely superior as well.

Sticking with the 5W-30 formulation is another plus.

Keep on vanning. :)

·
Vendor
1,453 Posts
We were having an oil discussion at work a while back. None of us had ever recalled any of our trucks having any engine issues related to oil. Except 1.

I had a salesman who went almost 30k miles without an oil change before I fired him. The oil was black as tar and down a quart on a brand new F150 EcoBoost with the 2.7.

To nurse it back, I did a 2500 mile oil change with a cheap conventional, then a 5000 mile oil change with Mobile 1, then gave it back to the hands of an abusive sales team to run to the ground. It had quit smoking at startup after the 2nd Mobile 1 change.

The next driver waited for the OLM to change the oil and used whatever Jiffy Lube puts in it.

That truck, with 130k miles, now burns a quart every 3000 miles. Obviously the lack of maintenance at the beginning, along with the turbos killed it. However, that isn’t all that bad for a burn rate.

Regular changes in a 10k mile or less rotation don’t hurt anything. My fleet of 50 some trucks, with only 1 bad egg is a good sign of that.

P.S. I change my 3.5L EcoBoost at around 7500 miles. EcoBoost trucks turn oil black as night, even on highway miles. When I had my 5.0, I happily went to 10k miles between changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
so, since we're kinda on the subject of oil filters...

i don't think my oil filter has been changed recently at all, at least for the last 2 oil changes when i started looking and the last 3 times i saw it on a lift

not sure anyone at the little oil change place i take it to knows or cares to change oil filters, i just figured they did it all as part of the "package"

they did change one of my license plate bulbs for free though, so maybe we're still even

hows this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L2XPBK/

i have no idea how "good" royal purple is, i just like their branding and the reviews seem okay

21 - 40 of 84 Posts