The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few before, during, and after photos of my rear nivomat bushing(or lack there of)replacement. Being that I’m currently on my 3rd straight early model( two 2001’s one 2003) 4th gen. town and country I’m well aware of the sounds and symptoms the van makes when the bushing decides to rot away. I bought one nicely used shock of eBay for $50 shipped. The shock came and I replaced the worse of the two shocks first. Upon removal of the old shock I realized the bushing was in a little worse shape than I originally thought
E72287E7-FB6B-46C9-B794-A0C2AE6D596A.jpeg

You might wonder were the bushing is? Your looking at it. The rubber that encapsulated the metal bushing deteriorated into dust on my garage floor leaving nothing but the metal spacer. The shock however was perfectly fine minus the missing bushing. (at 200,000+ miles). So at that point I decided I would go on eBay and buy a set of bushings to put in that shock and replace the one thats currently installed on the other side whose bushing is starting to rattle and on its way out.

I go to order a set of bushings and see a listing for one shock listed for $99 or best offer. The replacement bushings we’re going to cost me $50 for 2 so I decided to do a best offer of $50. Low and behold the offer was excepted and I’m thinking great I’m getting a slightly used shock and don’t have to deal with pressing bushings in and out. The shock arrives and low behold all the oil,hydraulic fluid,nivomat juice or whatever the **** they put in those things had leaked out in transit and left the smelliest oiliest mess one could imagine. It made ATF +4 smell like sweet perfume from the goddess of fertility herself. It was so bad that my wife thought something was burning in the house as the box lay on the kitchen counter waiting for my arrival. She went around the house and started unplugging any and everything that could potentially start a fire. I arrived home about an hour after her and upon opening the front door asked “what the **** is that smell” so I begin to start looking for the culprit. I took one whiff of that white USPS box on the counter and knew the search was over. The shock was shot; I could compress it with my hands but hey at least the bushings were still good on it. I Contacted the seller and he refunded me in full and told me to toss the shock. So that’s what I did. After I cut the bushings out of course.
FC1005D9-D931-4FAE-A3AD-D87BCFD03954.jpeg

I made a cut in both the top and the bottom of the shock eyes. In doing so I was able to pop the bushings right out. Didn’t have to deal with a press, some ghetto rig using a c-clamp, threaded rod, a socket, and a blow torch. Here’s the results
22385A93-E46F-46FA-9454-47A8D79A33E4.jpeg
B3B8B9BC-EE09-4415-AF0D-E8F379F97F0B.jpeg

Now I only had one problem left. The original shock that I had planned to use the bushings for still had the exterior metal ring seized into the inner of the shock eye. Luckily I was able to pound it out with a seal driver.
00CB7612-E5B3-4943-A590-B4DDCAECB88A.jpeg

There’s a pic of it next to the donor bushing.
To install the new to me bushing. I used a 30MM socket I had lying around and banged it in with a hammer.
EF445A0A-CF61-4E39-975C-545EA9EF69A2.jpeg

the end

·
3rd gen > all others
2,627 Posts
You write as well as you work. Entertaining and informative!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts