The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

341 - 360 of 415 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,754 Posts
Nope, imickey is nocturnal and only works from dark to dawn. Otherwise, somebody would steal all his tools during the night. Just kidding imickey. Is there a paint job in the plans?

·
Voted most useless member
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Body work first. I am slowly learning how to do that. Yup Levy you are right. I need to take pictures during the day.

The Rear bumper is going to get wrapped and or painted soon. I am going to go down to the auto parts store today and see if I can order some paint, or just get it online. I think my Paint code is MPV.
The front bumper will be replaced in the near future after all the electronics and lighting modifications are done. The GRILL and the Emblem are going to be painted tonight. I am SICK of the Grill looking so shabby.

My problem with paint is that.. Every time I paint my car, Within a MONTH.. Someone or just last time, a FAT chick FALLS into my PT (had it painted now 4 times and body work done at that point) then this last December, the Insurance salesman up the street ran into my car drunk as a skunk. That was paint job and body work 5. And the very first paint job done, the fender paint started chipping off. And they REFUSE to Honor the warranty. Even their last job was TOTAL POOP. I could of done it better. And that's really a low point if you ask me when it comes to paint.

So.. If I paint it. You know what's going to happen. Some Hob Knob is going to go .. Ohhhh TIme to screw it up. Thing is, a good paint job is about the same price as plasti dipping the van , or doing a proper vinyl wrap.

If the vinyl gets scratch, I can always just replace that part that is damaged. . . Same with Plastidip.

My dream color has been Gunmetal gray. But until then, I like this Dip color and am thinking about a flat finish.

I might try to do my rear bumper today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHA0jhp3CSM

I got LOTS of prep work to do before I paint. And I mean TONS. GOing to pick up a hand sander and get started.

Here are some picks.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Pics of car DURING the day and Paint fixes planned.

The NEW rain guards installed.

I have to fix the Pin stripe and clean up the Hot glue and some other things in this area. Also get rid of the Years past tape residue.

You can start to see some problems with the paint's clear coat here. Panel looks okay.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
This chrome trim has ONLY been on there for about a year. AND ITS ALREADY STARTING TO PEEL! :eekkkk:

DO NOT.. Put heavy human beings here. THIS WILL HAPPEN. THankfully, it will pop right out.

Better view

I screwed up the alignment of the rain guards here. GOing to redo soon.

Wish I got it right the first time. Wish I used glue so I could reposition it. Meh, live and learn.

I should have cut the tape in have down te full length. but I got this extra stuff just on there. Its okay, it strengthens the Rain guard.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Overall it does look nice.

Again, lots of clean up from Sticky tapes past..

This clear tape is ONLY TEMPORARY till i get the right EL wire with the Seam in it. That way it is not only flush but follows the lines more closely.

I got the can of Sticker remover from Turtle wax. but I have to say. WD-40 works REALLY WELL!

LESS then a YEAR and THIS? !#[email protected]#$ Okay. GOing to paint this as well.

Yup. Its body work. This may be the LAST thing I do. I really need to get my skills and toolset up to par first.

You can see the paint problems here, and I don't like the look of the rear anymore. But that will change in the future.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
The whole bumper is going to be repainted and dressed. Maybe this week.

You can see the deep scratches etc.

That Marker that U pull it uses must be INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH!

Another area to fix.

USE CANON BRAND NAME INK! If you don't? It will fade even on PHOTO PAPER. Getting some Real Vinyl sheet to print from my printer.

Hey look what happned to be 3D?

I am going to be cleaning this up shortly.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Again I bought NAME BRAND from the auto store. Never again.

Lots of old sticker goo, and as you can see the stuff is peeling and fading. I love the chrome trim. just hate it does not last for more then a year.

I have this in the shed. I need to replace this soon.

I think my sway bars are working...

Front tires are great. But as you can see, my van needs a REAL GOOD clean.

I started on this. i will finish it after
1. Painting the grill.
2. Seeing if I can PAINT a chrome finish on here. Or just go with another color, hue or shine. Still not sure yet.
3. The LED;s here are going to be replaced with 12V LEDs and wire is going to be cleaned up and gone. I hate that I have not fixed this yet. But working on other things.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Like I said. THE GRILL has seen better days. Well. 117MPH runs don't do great things for your grill. Dust at that speed REALLY tears your front end and paint.

The grill, I am going to try to use a Textured metallic / anthracite here and clear over that.

Like I said. LOTS of SMALL work to do and get out of the way.

This whole front bumper is going to be replaced.

You can say that it is on the outside. IT IS NOT. This cracking is from the inside. I contacted spider they told me to bad so sad.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
This fender REALLY needs some love. And I am TIRED of getting the Road TAR on my car from all the construction.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42919070_2244109192478925_758472996632395776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=41a99a11aaf77dc08eaca54542af0b8b&oe=5C1B04CB

Again, most of the PAINT is good. but areas of it are HORRIBLE. Also as you can see this chrome trim just does not stand up to outdoor use. COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY.

You can see that even with ONE HECK of a great cleaning job, the LED Strips Adhesion is not really holding up.

I just installed a NEW cup holder (forgot to mention that in a previous thread did that 2 days ago) and I also put anew LED light in the thing. Not the Philips brand, but it works. I LOVE the Sylvania XENON series or whatever they call it. THose 194 and 164 bulbs ARE THE CATS MEOW. THese Amazon bulbs I got. THere not bad. But they took a WHOLE YEAR TO GET HERE/ No I am not kidding.

Also, Cleaned windows, And fixed the saggy headliner in front as a TEMP thing with RTV from Dollar tree. I have to pull it down in the future anyways. I want to recover, and do the Fiber Optic light kit there. I like the Leather to be there if I can.

Also, the Wires and all this mess is going to be cleaned up. I HATE messy wires, but I have been doing TONS of stuff and been busy.

And as you can see.. I @#@# Bent my Dome midrange. Yea. I was pissed. Never clean windows when you are angry.

The Passenger seat needs some love. THe drivers seat? I might just replace it the whole thing. I wanted to do custom leather. That is next year. Also, Laser FIber optic wire on the seats. That way it will last, and still look bright and good.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Oh GOSH these panels here. I am going to refinish these VERY soon. Still waiting on my COB LED/s to come in so I can do the Limo lights with them. I want the SAME SOFT SOFT glow that the OEM cars use to have.

Not that CHEAP CRAPPY Limo led's that are out now. THOSE SUCK!
These are EASY to make look great. But I am not sure if I want to do a custom finish on them or just wrap them with a vinyl or do something else custom like a chrysler logo here that is back lit. I still have not seen that many really great Chrysler Town and country logo's that would look great Back Lit.

Same on the drivers side.

The door handles will get LED's/. But really, I want the TESLA Door handles here. THe ones that sink in. And makes the cops REALLY REALLY SAD..

Again, you can see that these just don't line up. I really wish I had these installed by a pro.

THe whole front dash is going to be Fiberglassed and wrapped in Alcatra this winter.
Again. Its on the list. I still have some Audio upgrades and things I need to figure out.

You can see the stress fracture.

THe Rubber seals are going to be replaced. Also ran with 5mm el wire with seam.

THis one too.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Wipers need to be painted AGAIN. This time. Doing it right. No more nail polish. It only last about 8 months.

These rubber washers ? Not sure how to paint rubber. But I will try.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Last of the photos I hope.

NEVER USE AN IMPACT GUN WITH CHRYSLER LUG NUTS!

See how these just don't match the body profile? I need to fix these mudd flaps.

And the paint here too. and crud.

You can kind of see the clear coat is fading.

Better shot of the Hump in the roof.

And from a DISTANCE. It looks great.

But. Soon it will all be worth it.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Also in the future, I need to install something like this in the sliding doors. That way I can run Lights and have them mounted on the sliding door like you seen in the EL wire. photo at first

It also will allow me to light up the door handles. I'm going to use a 12v nicad pack (15v nominal) so the lights will still work when the door is open. That way, you get a long lifetime and safety to boot. And easy to retrofit.

·
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
DO NOT USE PLASTIC see thru Filters WITH OIL. PERIOD.

Or. You will blow 2 of them. And THANKFULLY. You bought a Copper Straight through piece that right now? Is holding both sides of the transmission cooler line together. Well. At least I did that right.

Also. TIGHTEN your Worm clamps after a week or two. They are going to get loose and leak oil.

Also don't put it on backwards to see how well the filter cleans. IT WILL BLOW LIKE FREE WILLY!

And then you will have to clean up Hydraulic oil. THAT STINKS. And. You just wasted 3 bucks on a filter.

And .. You have to be at work in less then 2 hours. But you did not sleep yesterday either.

And.. You REALLY should of Installed that power steering filter. But it was not here yet... So you got to do that job all over again. Cuz the Fluid is MILKY. Even after getting most of the old fluid out... AND. Sucking out all the new fluid you put in there, And its STILL Milky...

And.. TRY to get your work all done in one weekend. And all at once. Best NOT to wait for parts sometimes.

But even though, you got a DEAL of the century on a Range for your mom. And LED Candelabra Light Bulbs... You should NOT start working on your car at about midnight. It NEVER ends well. But I never seem to learn.

And as a bonus. Maybe this time.. I MIGHT flush my coolant system and heater cores. HOPING that fixes the heat issue. But I think my flap might be borked to.

Also. MY drivers door Catch that keeps the door open seems to have broken or wore out. Its making noises now when I close the door.

But good NEWS! Its all back together. All the OIL that Spit all over the manifold and left side of the engine bay is washed out. And ITS GREASY AGAIN...

I REALLY just NEVER learn... :jpshakehe

But. I think I am going to pick up a filter locally and install it.

I got a LOT of Maintenance to do this week. Hopefully, parts will come (THE RIGHT ONES ) and I will finish the engine bay stuff.

It would be nice.

Sometimes saving money is not saving money. But whatever. Not like I was going to get much sleep anyways..

Now to buy more cat litter. clean up the driveway when I get back home. And For GODS sakes. Finnaly fix that Transmission pan leak. Rethread the bolts. And Hope this time I remember to put in the OEM filter in the transmision this time.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/mistakesdemotivator_large.jpeg?v=1416776264

·
Super Moderator
21,754 Posts
That's the media for an oil filter. Imickey even makes his own oil filters. The can part says Heinz. What a DIYer he is. Go imickey, go. :thumb:

BUT .... get some sleep.

·
Super Moderator
21,754 Posts
341 - 360 of 415 Posts