The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only real problem is.. Well A few..

The transmission slips. So it goes in FWD and Reverse.. But then stops working. Even when placed in low.

Also, Yesterday, It had almost a sudden slam shift but no real bad noise. Just like dropping the clutch in a manual car.

The transmission housing and the AWD stuff looks almost new. (its like Shiny aluminum). Also the car has just 1500 miles on it from last year.

Take a look at this video of the Flex plate. (the thing I was referring to was the cover that was missing. )

Now I smelled the fluid ( I know not scientific. ) But it no where smells like ATF+4 So doing a fluid change out. its still red,

Also 2 codes. 700 and 732. SO checking the sensors today.

I got a spare AWD transmission to throw in if all goes wrong.

https://goo.gl/photos/rBmURk4HbEZMToct9

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My flex plate looks a little different then this one:
[video]https://youtu.be/yiTxxZCcFrM?t=1m[/video]

I think I need one of these.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa nelly HI DEF!

ATF+4 is so expensive! Wish it was $3.27 like it use to be.. So Picked up some fluids (Engine oil, Power steering, Transmission oil. ) (Supertech baby!)

And here are some HQ pictures of the parts of the body that need to be tended to.

The weirdest tow truck driver ever. Said he use to work for a paper mill. Said he knew all about fluids.. Told me Synthetic "Tyranny fluid" is Mmmbad.. Nice guy though!

Not really sure how this happened here on the passenger side Fender. But it is the only real blemish on the passenger side.

Tires are fair enough for summer driving.

If I can roll out this dent, that would be great! Otherwise, a new panel after I fail to be able to.. OR. a white one goes on or I find a identiacal one at a junk yard in PERFECT condition. (PLACE UNICORN ICON HERE)

That light is TOAST. Not sure what is up with the angle. The bumper and the light must be really warped compared to the panel.

Still meat on the pads so far. The back ones looked cooked.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front tires are pretty cooked. But with a tire slasher around. Not a bad idea.

The top of this van. OMG.. Even after simple green soak. Its still all there. AND ADVICE TO GET IT OFF EASY WITHOUT DAMAGING PAINT WELCOME!!!

It almost looks like mold on it.

The new bumper is going to be modified with FOAM SPIKES that look real. Maybe even a naked woman. Anything to stop people from running into my van. (Lasers are not out of the question. Maybe even a rear horn or aiming the rear spray jet to spray on their windshield. I thought of Pyrotechnics. The rear hitch is 100% going on this car. (I need to weld some metal to the end of it)

Thank god no real body damage here:

Hair dryer and some plastic weld here I come! Wonder what this would look like in Carbon Fiber? Hmm.

Pretty good shot of one side of the van compared to my other one.

Feeling like this right now..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like a great project. Number one is dump the trans fluid that required ATF4+ modifier fluid. It may not be too late. Fantastic find, though. We'll expect frequent reports on progress!

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Congrats on the score!

Seems like you got a decent project van! Let us know how kt turns out.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG! THE FAIL!!!

That new looking transmission is.. PAINT. YES PAINT! They Painted the transmission silver. OMG. All those Casting or weld spatters were all just dirt under the paint. WTF?

Ok here are one of the sensors out of the transmission.

Now test of the AWD system

Ok, Now remember they put in a new steering rack.... Ok..

Well Guess what they did NOT DO! THEY DID NOT REPLACE THE HOSES!
And THIS is the result of the Power steering pump LEAKING.
CARNAGE!!! In slow MO!!!

It is the High pressure hose

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I washed it.. OMG. They used some cover up on the paint. And now, i have spots with no paint. Hmm. Vodka. Vodka Everywhere. (Yes, I am being POLITELY INCORRECT! )

Now on to rip the transmission of my old van, and parts I am going to use on the new van. YEA!!!! BABY!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4am LETS STRIP!!

Well This is what I did today on the white van to get it ready for the bone yard, and to get the transmission out.

If any of you guys need parts, LET ME KNOW.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sensor in HD!!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I will try TRY to film me pulling the engine on the Car. I am going to try try TRY to do it like JAFOROMOBILE style!

So I think I may need a tranny jack. So I guess I will just make one. Wood is cheap you know :)

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If anyone needs some parts (muis the tranny) just shoot me a email or PM and pay for the shipping ot come by. The rest of the car is going to the metal yard. (The 150 dollar car tow people) so that its just an empty shell. with some well used tires on it.

Let me know please. I would rather have them go to you guys.

I need a massage.

·
Super Moderator
21,588 Posts
The weirdest tow truck driver ever. Said he use to work for a paper mill. Said he knew all about fluids.. Told me Synthetic "Tyranny fluid" is Mmmbad.. Nice guy though!
He probably sat in a bar at a Jeep Jamboree and overheard discussions about Currie Enterprises voiding the warranty on their crate rear ends if synthetic lubricant is used. Something about synthetic lubes not transferring the heat from the gears as well as conventional lubricants. From: http://www.currieenterprises.com/instruction_sheets/SummitInstructions_adder.pdf
You will want to use only a good name brand 85-140 weight gear oil such as 9-Plus oil, Torco, Kendall, or Valvoline. Never use any type of synthetic oil, synthetic blend oil, store brand oil, or Sta-Lube brand oil.
More discussion on that: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/why-no-syth-gear-oil-diff-847210/#post7840906

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crazy! I knew synthetic was not the best for break in. But would not have thought about the gears running hotter on synthetic.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About to pull the engine. Got the engine stand and engine donkey. thought I could put the engine crane in the van. Nope. Had to get a truck.

Got most of the engine ready to pull. amazing how hard it is to pull the radiator out with the AC system.

When I pulled the driver CV shaft.. it looks like Pepto Bismol? (Pics later) maybe pink slime? it looks really weird.

Any tips for pulling the engine and reinstalling the transmission would be cool. Or I will just wing it. Have a FSM, so might go over it when I resemble the transmission later today.

Wish I bought the drain pan with a drain bolt. I do have a tap and Die set, so may do that today. Knowing my luck? It will leak if I do it. :biggrin:

Will get more pics up today of that oil and some interesting findings about what I found out about the sway bar bushings that may help a few of you guys out.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pulled the engine and the trans out of the car with the cherry picker. Will post some pics this weekend. I had to have my buddy come over since i got 2 engine mount bolts stuck. Had to use my cutting wheel, but the engine and trans is out as one unit. I feel bad about hacking up a drive line in order to put the wheel back on so the bearing will not fall out when the tow truck comes to take it to the junkyard. Oh well.

Man. Looking at the engine, the transmission is almost as big as the engine. Weird.

I had to remove the rear PTO shaft in order to pull the engine out but it was easy.

Now I am wondering how to do it on the other van while keeping the engine in the car. Tried to take video today, but OMG. I just got done like an hour ago. Way longer then I thought to pull the engine.

I am POOPED! Tomorrow I move in to my new apartment, and get the transmission in the other can out and this one in. Fun weekend.

That one, I will be taping all the way thru. This job was just way way to hard to show you how to do it. Sorry guys.

And the Kitty litter. It is EVERYWHERE!

I got to get ready for work. Have a good weekend guys!

Night guys.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What happened to my ATF4? I have not driven it in a while, but this is not what I remember seeing on the dipstick?

Almost ready to pull engine

Think I lost a screw down there.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts
About this Discussion
414 Replies
15 Participants
imickey503
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing