The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to say thanks to all here as there is so much information and support here.
I just traded some work for someone to bail this caravan out of a transmission shop. The owner had another car and didn't want it anymore. It has 128k miles.
I'm on S. Security and thought I'd be stuck with my old '77 suburban 454 until I died, not having enough to buy another car.
I've been doing a lot of work to it, fixing rust from roof, dents painting, doing mechanical work.
I've been a mechanic and body man all my life.
It runs great with a 3 liter and saves me on gas mileage as I still work part time.
It's a joy to drive and I'm saving up to fix the a/c and headliner.

Attachments

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
looks quite a tidy... is that the only rust patch on the roof? what would cause it to rust like that,are you on the coast?:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
it looks like" back to black" bumper paint, you must be able to buy it over there, its like a gell you rub into plastic body work panels that restores shine and colour.:beerchug:

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,509 Posts
The major thing you need to check on NOW with a 3.0 is when the timing belt and water pump were replaced. If never, do it now or have it done. If it breaks, you are toast. I would use the extended mileage oil to keep the seals soft also. Max Life works great on them. Others just as good, I am sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bumpers, I painted with apo-1 (house of color adhesive promoter) after a thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner. Then I painted a good urethane acrylic single stage auto paint (black). Then I sanded with 1200 and buffed out.
I plan on also doing the side trim and door handles.

Also I checked the water pump and timing belt and they had been replaced, So I just put on a new timing belt and others. Then my serpentine tensioner went bad and the new belt jumped over 2 grooves on the power steering pulley.
I have a new one to install today.

Yesterday the speedo after backing up, went crazy and jumped all over while moving forward again. The engine cutoff and on and the tranny went nuts also.
It straightened out, But I think the speed sensor is going bad? I hope the new rebuilt trans is ok as there is no guarantee on it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks quite a tidy... is that the only rust patch on the roof? what would cause it to rust like that,are you on the coast?:beerchug:
The rust was from the roof rack screws and no maintenance. the rest of the body is rust free.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The major thing you need to check on NOW with a 3.0 is when the timing belt and water pump were replaced. If never, do it now or have it done. If it breaks, you are toast. I would use the extended mileage oil to keep the seals soft also. Max Life works great on them. Others just as good, I am sure.
The 3.0L is a Non-interference engine, so long as the pump isn't leaking, don't worry about the belt, nothing is going to be hurt if it lets go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts