The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into the dreaded leaking Y pipe. The other day I could smell antifreeze when I parked the van. Popped the hood and sure enough, one of the Y pipes was leaking. I was surprised to find I have 2 of them in my 2013 T& C Touring 3.6L van. the one that was leaking was the one behind the real easy to see one. Luckily I had already bought one of the aluminum replacements and it took less than 1/2 hour to replace it the next morning. Next thing I did was order another Y pipe so I can replace the second one (before it starts leaking).
y pipe.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have run into the dreaded leaking Y pipe. The other day I could smell antifreeze when I parked the van. Popped the hood and sure enough, one of the Y pipes was leaking. I was surprised to find I have 2 of them in my 2013 T& C Touring 3.6L van. the one that was leaking was the one behind the real easy to see one. Luckily I had already bought one of the aluminum replacements and it took less than 1/2 hour to replace it the next morning. Next thing I did was order another Y pipe so I can replace the second one (before it starts leaking).
View attachment 56439
Can you provide a part # and supplier for the aluminum Y pipe?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Can you provide a part # and supplier for the aluminum Y pipe?
Dorman makes an aftermarket kit with aluminum Y-pipe, but the hose and hose clamps in the kit are junk and if you go that route you should plan to replace those with good hose & hose clamps. Apparently Dorman also sells just the aluminum Y without a kit, which might be a better option. The Dorman parts with the aluminum Y have an "HP" suffix in the part number. If no HP, it will be the plastic Ys.

Member on these forums gzukoff (ebayer newyorkbuyer) sells both the Dorman kit and the aluminum Y that he has fabricated, which might be the best option and what I would buy if I had to do it over again: https://www.ebay.com/sch/newyorkbuyer/m.html?item=303136494170&oid=292998924433&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If you search gzukoff you can probably find the 20 or 30 page thread on this topic.

Leave it alone unless is leaking. Don't try to be proactive.
I agree generally with this, but would just add in my view that it's probably good idea to be proactive in the sense of having the aluminum replacement on hand for when the plastic one does crack/leak. Also, if one leaks and have to drain/refill/bleed coolant anyway to replace one of them, then if it were me I'd go ahead and do both at that time. But I agree no sense in replacing them before there is any leak at all. Reasonable minds can differ on that view of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
View attachment 56439
Where are these Y pipes located? Under the hood?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
You would think FCA would fix this , they have known this is an issue for quite some time now . This is why they get a rep for shoddy quality .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the info here and linking to the other longer thread. Just had it happen and at least knew what was needed. Just need to order the aluminum one now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
mindmess
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing