The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on sending my BCM out for repair, as there are quite a few websites that claim they can repair BCM's, and other automotive modules. The one place I contacted was called Module Experts, and apparently the are also known by a few other names like: Nationwide Parts Distributors, Inc., AES Modules, Diesel Experts, etc. I decided to check some reviews of the place, before I shipped off my precious BCM, and the place seems like a total joke/scam.

Some examples of their reviews:

Nationwide Parts Distributors, Inc. | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Top 24 Reviews about NationWide Parts Distributors

So, now I'm wondering if the whole concept of BCM "repair" is a complete scam. From the reviews of Module Experts, it appears that the scam is quoting you a fairly low price ($150) for "repair" services, and then telling you that your BCM can't be repaired...... and then selling you a "reman" part ($400) that may or may not even work on your vehicle. One review even said that they were told their computer was toast, so they just said to send it back, and in the meantime got a ground location fixed, and then their original computer worked fine. It seems most module repair businesses are located are in Florida (lax laws maybe??), with some in California, and New York.

Has anyone here had a BCM successfully repaired by anyone? I currently have a donor (junkyard) BCM installed, so I have no problem sending my original BCM out for repair. I would like to just keep the replacement BCM, but certain things aren't working on that one too. Unless there is a procedure to get rear wipers working with a new BCM, and also to get remote lock and unlock to work? The van is still getting the signal from the remote, because the memory seats still move when I hit the unlock, but the door locks do nothing. It's actually the exact opposite from my original BCM, where the remote lock and unlock work, but the interior lock/unlock switch does nothing. So, for now, I have to lock my van with the interior lock switch, and unlock with the key in the door. It's such a pain to get used to. I still try the key fob every time. It's like when you keep trying to turn the light switch on when the power is out!

I'm thinking of contacting G7 Computers , anybody have anything good, or bad, to say about them?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,573 Posts
People who post reviews on those sites will not post any good reviews.

Many times problem was not diagnosed correctly, of course when they get their BCM back problems will still show.

Then people bashing those business in forums like this one doesn't help either. If you don't have personal experience, then you shouldn't call it scam....yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How am I supposed to go on personal experience? Do you suggest I just throw away money finding out if a suspected scam company, is truly a scam? If I had that kind of money to waste, I probably wouldn't be driving a 22 year old van..... even though I like it.

I got a reply back from G7. They don't even sell "refurbished" computers, so they can't just tell you "your computer is bad, and we have one for $400 that you can buy."

However, there are quite a number of reviews for G7, where people claim they couldn't fix their computer, and they got their money back. I just sent them an email asking if they can actually test a BCM, or if they just fix visibly bad parts and solder joints. Does anyone know what physically goes wrong with a BCM?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to get my rear wipers working with a new BCM, and/or my remote to lock and unlock the doors with the new BCM, then I can just use the one I have now.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,573 Posts
How am I supposed to go on personal experience? Do you suggest I just throw away money finding out if a suspected scam company, is truly a scam?

However, there are quite a number of reviews for G7, where people claim they couldn't fix their computer, and they got their money back. I just sent them an email asking if they can actually test a BCM, or if they just fix visibly bad parts and solder joints. Does anyone know what physically goes wrong with a BCM?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to get my rear wipers working with a new BCM, and/or my remote to lock and unlock the doors with the new BCM, then I can just use the one I have now.

No, but you shouldn't call it scam unles you know for sure it is. Again, on those sites, people only report bad things, never good things.

Again, don't go by reviews unless you see both kind of reviews, good and bad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, but you shouldn't call it scam unles you know for sure it is. Again, on those sites, people only report bad things, never good things.

Again, don't go by reviews unless you see both kind of reviews, good and bad.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I asked the person from that website, that I had been in contact with, about the reviews on those sites, and what his thoughts were. He has not responded in over 5 days.

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
There is a way to test your BCM. And that is the factory scan tool. Here is the thing. You have to spend some money on diagnosis with the factory tool. And that means some dude at a dealership willing to do the job instead of making money.

The scan tool you need is a DRB III.
You get one of those? You can test all sorts of stuff. Even reprogram the bcm. Or tell if it is bad.

One of my Very First posts on here got me in a BIT of Hot water giving links to where to get the software. However, there is an open source variant. Thing is? That kind of power is enough to kill your car outright. There is a good reason why Car manufacturers lock parts of their computers.

I'm going to leave it up to you to find. It's the responsible thing to do.

You get that DRB III scan tool? Everything opens up like a toolbox you never had. All these electrical problems are now solved and you know what to do.

For once, I have to be Mr. Responsible and be like Adult Shippo. I would like me to remind you not to post links to what you find due to stuff like Forum rules. And the fact, that yea, you can really FOOOK UP YUR SHEET if you don't know what you're doing. For some that may mean disabling the entire VAN computers etc.

I sure hope you have a battery charger.

Well, that or you go to a dealer and they scan and reprogram your Van.

The Software packages that are out there can read and reprogram and tell if your BCM is bad.

To give you and idea of what you need to do" AND JUST THE IDEA.... NOT HOW TO:

How to do the chrysler PCM

Look up a Fellow Anon MWisBest & Katemonster33 on Github.

Good time to know about your ECU and all that cool stuff a Raspberry pie or atmel could do today.

If you really want to know what is possible? Talk to the TUrbo Dodge guys.

Don't forget the thread about DTC's and how to read them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarHacking/comments/5ecpdo
Also, if you want to know a guy who knows a thing a or two about a guy that really knows chrysler computers?

Other alternatives to DRB III official scan tool.

For reading your BCM? This may work. Any shop might be able to do this.
Snap-on MT2500

This may be the cheapest option in the door to read and diagnose and fix and reprogram your BCM

I know you already checked all your grounds. But just in case, check out the video in this thread.
Yes its for a 2005. But our BCM has to have a ground too right? Maybe one for the wipers?

And this last one.

Almost 24 years of BCM's always going bad.... And not a single post done by me to explain anything about it.

I have to ask.. What TOyota has a BCM ISSUE that never gets fixed for 24 years? Hmmm...

And the computer is all secret sauce!

All I am saying is? If you could read your BCM... Lots of people would be out of jobs. Just saying.
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was planning on sending my BCM out for repair, as there are quite a few websites that claim they can repair BCM's, and other automotive modules. The one place I contacted was called Module Experts, and apparently the are also known by a few other names like: Nationwide Parts Distributors, Inc., AES Modules, Diesel Experts, etc. I decided to check some reviews of the place, before I shipped off my precious BCM, and the place seems like a total joke/scam.

So, now I'm wondering if the whole concept of BCM "repair" is a complete scam. From the reviews of Module Experts, it appears that the scam is quoting you a fairly low price ($150) for "repair" services, and then telling you that your BCM can't be repaired...... and then selling you a "reman" part ($400) that may or may not even work on your vehicle. One review even said that they were told their computer was toast, so they just said to send it back, and in the meantime got a ground location fixed, and then their original computer worked fine. It seems most module repair businesses are located are in Florida (lax laws maybe??), with some in California, and New York.

Has anyone here had a BCM successfully repaired by anyone? I currently have a donor (junkyard) BCM installed, so I have no problem sending my original BCM out for repair. I would like to just keep the replacement BCM, but certain things aren't working on that one too. Unless there is a procedure to get rear wipers working with a new BCM, and also to get remote lock and unlock to work? The van is still getting the signal from the remote, because the memory seats still move when I hit the unlock, but the door locks do nothing. It's actually the exact opposite from my original BCM, where the remote lock and unlock work, but the interior lock/unlock switch does nothing. So, for now, I have to lock my van with the interior lock switch, and unlock with the key in the door. It's such a pain to get used to. I still try the key fob every time. It's like when you keep trying to turn the light switch on when the power is out!

I'm thinking of contacting G7 Computers , anybody have anything good, or bad, to say about them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same positions now as you were. I don't know if I want to trust the people in Florida. Any luck with the BCM and who did you finally end up using?

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,058 Posts
I'm in the same positions now as you were. I don't know if I want to trust the people in Florida. Any luck with the BCM and who did you finally end up using?
Just get a BCM from a salvage yard, make sure the donor van is the same trim level as yours and either does or doesn't have a Remote Keyless Entry/Vehicle Anti Theft system depending on what your van has.

With my electrical background, I strongly suspect that BCM repair shops will only be able to detect and repair obvious, simple issues, such as a burnt PCB trace, blown power supply capacitors, or other passive components on the board. Advanced diagnosis on a BCM would require someone with a considerable amount of Electrical Engineering experience, proprietary electrical schematics, the source code for programming digital logic ICs, and very very specific equipment for every individual version of BCM and it's constituent Logic ICs. $150? LMAO

Double check the part numbers on a junkyard BCM against your own, you could buy several and still come out ahead financially. I trust a 20 year old factory MOPAR BCM sitting in a junkyard over any remanufactured BCM.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
895 Posts
The only place I've ever had success for PCM/ECM/BCM Chrysler vehicle brains is with A1 CARDONE. 50 years doing this stuff. Even for ones that are no longer in production.

Cardone | Electronics

BCM link for A1 CARDONE (65 pages and growing!)

·
Registered
1 Posts

I know this thread is old but if it helps to know that I sent my BCM to a repair located in Florida $275 plus shipping and advertised "LIFETIME WARRANTY".
It had no change in symtoms after re-intalling upon return.
They said to send it back and they would make it right. I am sure you know it may be straight forward to remove\install but it is a lot of work.
Before I sent it back a second time i marked some of the access screws in referance to the box.
When it was returned the screws had not been removed. With reservations I re-installed the BCM again and still no change in symptoms.
They were down and dirty to deal with ignoring most phone calls and emails but did give a partial refund in the end.
At this point I removed the BCM and took it to O-reillys autoparts who then sent it to A1 Cardone and a 2 or 3 year
warranty.
It started showing gliches after a year or so. But now after about five years the door locks wipers are erratic and the gauges at times do not work. Symtoms change a bit depending on the temperture inside the vehicle.
One thing I must say is that for the last year or so my son has been driving it about 1 mile to work so there is no real chance to charge the battery withe the HVAC, headlights and Boom box pulling on the battery. As well with a 5 year old battery. So doing multiple jump starts and engine cranking at times with very low voltage has likely been a factor on the BCM failure.
I am sure this should be avoid at all times.
As far as BCM repair in Florida, I wouldn't recommend it.
Just my 2-bits.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just sent the GEM out of my truck to Module Experts. Just got an email back they can't do it for the advertised $149, it will cost me another $249 for a remanufactured one. They said they can't replace the chip in mine but how do you offer remanufactured ones if you can't replace the chips? So from $149 to $400 to get my windshield wipers working again, I guess I'll be hardwiring them in. Terry H

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
895 Posts
Just sent the GEM out of my truck to Module Experts. Just got an email back they can't do it for the advertised $149, it will cost me another $249 for a remanufactured one. They said they can't replace the chip in mine but how do you offer remanufactured ones if you can't replace the chips? So from $149 to $400 to get my windshield wipers working again, I guess I'll be hardwiring them in. Terry H
WOW. Do they have your BCM right now? Hoping you marked it in such a way to know you get yours back instead of a worse one!!!

Should you wire in the wipers, check the fuse rating, then hardwire in with the right fuse. You'll need the GXL automotive grade wire as those motors pull more Amps and are underhood rated. The TXL will not hold that high of an Amp draw and are cabin vehicle rated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Latest Email Exchanges:
Adam E <[email protected]>
Tue 11/17/2020 1:30 PM

I understand completely. These things can get expensive. Keep in mind you would be out the money spent and still not have a solution. At this point we are willing to credit that into a replacement cost to try and help you out. Now is the best time to replace it and save the most money.

I can always see if we can get any kind of dealer discount or something to apply to your order to help you out. We supply these to dealers and manufacturers, so sometimes I can get their volume account pricing applied to individual orders to try and help a customer out.

How close can you get? What would work for you?

Please let me know, and I will get with the manufacturing supervisor and see if there is anything I can do on my end.

Adam
904-990-5139
INTERNET SALES ASSOCIATE
MODULE EXPERTS
Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm EST

FOR ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING AN EXISTING ORDER,
CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 904-866-4778
____

Terry H
Tue 11/17/2020 1:45 PM

You can't replace the chip in mine so how do you offer remanufactured ones if you can't replace the chips? There's a lot of stuff on the internet about a bait and switch with you guys, I hope this isn't the case. Anyway can you get that sent back as soon as you can. Also why is it saying rebuilt on the order?

1998 Ford F-150, Module - Ford GEM module (Rebuilt)
Warranty : R&R Lifetime Module Repair Warranty. Ref TSB BenchTest Fee, S&H nonrefundable. Install doc's required. Costs related to transaction disputes will be passed onto the purchaser
Description : R&R. When possible, we will repair the module based on the symptoms and Diagnostic Trouble Codes you give us. This service will not fix other problems with your vehicle. A qualified tech with the correct scan tool MAY have to complete security and/or in-vehicle programming. For assistance EMAIL ADAM at adam.e @moduleexperts.com 904-990-5139 THANK YOU​
1​
$38.65​
1998 Ford F-150, Module - .Diagnostic Evaluation Service (DES) This is a non-refundable service. (Rebuilt)
Warranty : Diagnostic Evaluation Service (DES) All costs related to transaction disputes will be passed onto the purchaser​
___
Tue 11/17/2020 1:47 PM

Because a replacement unit doesn't need a CPU replacement. Yours does because it is no good.

Adam
904-990-5139
INTERNET SALES ASSOCIATE
MODULE EXPERTS

__
Tue 11/17/2020 1:48 PM

We will be charging you the appropriate fees.

Best of luck getting your CPU replacement elsewhere.

Adam
904-990-5139
INTERNET SALES ASSOCIATE
MODULE EXPERTS

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
895 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never ended up sending my BCM to anybody. The one I got from the junk yard seems to, mostly, be doing the job. The only things that don't work right now, are the rear wipers, and the remote entry lock and unlock. The remote still technically works, because I can see the seat moving back to the memory position, but it won't unlock the door. Also, every once in a while, the gauges will flip out while driving, but it doesn't last very long, and hasn't happened more than a couple times. Oh, and a few times, the van just wouldn't start, or stay started, but I just let it sit for a while, and it was fine again.

I had thought about trying that G7 Computers place I linked above. They were really the only place I contacted that didn't seem to scammy. I think they said if they couldn't fix it, that you get a full refund, or a refund, minus like $25 or something. They also said they never try and sell you a "new" or refurbished computer, because they only do repairs.

Also, there was this place that I found that used to fix these for Chrysler, or their dealerships. I think they were called Harmon, or something like that. I called them, as they are actually local to me, and they said they could sell me one, programmed to my VIN, for $638. If anyone is interested, I could probably find the contact info.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
I have some experience dealing with G7 Computers with a customer of mine that had a Volvo. No issues with them.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
3 Posts

We used G7 for our BCM. The first time we sent it, they said they replaced a resistor,(couldn't see any signs of repair) when we reinstalled the BCM we still had the original problem - the parking lights would come on and off while the engine was off, this would drain the battery.

We resent the BCM back to them and this time they said "An intermittent fault with the cpu (main processing chip) inside the computer was detected this time, which was not present the first time. The cpu is not repairable."

They refunded our money minus the 25.00 diagnostic fee.

As an interim solution, we ended up taking the parking light fuse out at the end of the day and reinstalling the fuse when we drive the van. (the van is only driven on the weekends) This is working out so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts