The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 2.4L is messing with my head!
Sometimes when I turn the key the starter will engage but won't turn the engine over. Then I'll turn the key again and the van will start up no problem.
I figure the relay is going intermittent and am ready to change out the starter.
Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was your fix?

·
Latent car nut
8,945 Posts
Classic issue with an aging Denso starter; the contacts inside the starter are carboned up. Your two options are to buy new contacts and replace them inside the starter or to buy a remanufactured starter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Shipo!
Searched on-line and found the rebuild kits are readily available thru Amazon and elsewhere.

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Rebuild! Its easy. Have some compressed air handy, and you will be just fine. Make sure nothing is broken on your starter.

Its like $5-20 bucks to get the kit. Its easy. If its gone this far? You will have to replace the plunger. Most of the time? The plunger can just be reused if you just sand it. Nations electric is who I use. Got the full kit, all the parts, easy to do.
Just look over your old starter and make sure that the plastic parts are all in good condition.

PRO TIP: And just the TIP.

If you put in the new electrodes, When you tighten them? APPLY PRESSURE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE RULER FLAT to the base of the starter landings as you tighten them so they are not askew. Make sure ALL the rubber O rings are all there. And do NOT overtighten!

Make sure there is ZERO crap inside. Again, blow it out! Also, don't forget to apply the lube that it comes with for the plunger. You don't want to use just any grease. There should be a packet that comes with some kits.

Before you start? Clean out the outside of the Starter. DO NOT USE SOLVENTS! LEARN from MY MISTAKES! :)

Good luck.

Also, most of the time, all that needs to be replaced is this:

And you are back up and running. That's just the copper contacts .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the 2.4 the starter is right up front and couldn't be easier to get to! Due to my current physical condition I can't change it out right now but I'm chomping at the bit to get it done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hear you on the physical condition. I just recovered from 2 weeks with a back injury. Plus I just hit 62! Best wishes to feel better and get back to the wrenching! It's good therapy. (y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already had back problems, and was rear ended 2 months ago, aggravating the back problems. But that was nothing - 3 days after the accident I got shingles, which has attacked the nerves in my leg, disabling my thigh muscles and dug into my knee where it now burns like **** (along with the rest of my leg). 2 months in excruciating pain and still going strong...it's the worst pain I've ever experienced!

·
Registered
169 Posts
3 days after the accident I got shingles, which has attacked the nerves in my leg, disabling my thigh muscles and dug into my knee where it now burns like **** (along with the rest of my leg). 2 months in excruciating pain and still going strong...it's the worst pain I've ever experienced!
you have my deepest sympathies for your shingles -- if you haven't tried it already, calamine lotion (zinc oxide like what beach lifeguards use but in lotion, not cream form) might help tamp down the pain

hope you feel better soon

and to help with your mental status, there's a little comfort that the shingles did not re-emerge on the nerve endings near or on your face

last, and for you and anyone else out there, there are shingles vaccines that is very worthwhile, and one version (called Shingrix) is the better one

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you have my deepest sympathies for your shingles -- if you haven't tried it already, calamine lotion (zinc oxide like what beach lifeguards use but in lotion, not cream form) might help tamp down the pain

hope you feel better soon

and to help with your mental status, there's a little comfort that the shingles did not re-emerge on the nerve endings near or on your face

last, and for you and anyone else out there, there are shingles vaccines that is very worthwhile, and one version (called Shingrix) is the better one
Thanks for that Waterbuff
Thankfully I'm over the rash and blisters. Now the pain is under the skin.
This is one strange affliction the way it attacks the nerve endings and disabling muscles..
But enough of that - I'll be jumping in my Nissan truck with a 5 spd manual and see if I can drive it - then I'll pull the starter on the van and get that sorted out!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Careful with the screws on the cover. On my second (attempted) contact change, I ended up snapping off a couple of the cover screws. Didn't have time, or the tools with me at work, to drill out the broken screws, and tap it. I ended up just get a reman at Autozone. I was even going to replace the plunger this time too. Maybe soak in some PB Blaster? My starter housing was pretty rusty though, being in Michigan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Careful with the screws on the cover. On my second (attempted) contact change, I ended up snapping off a couple of the cover screws. Didn't have time, or the tools with me at work, to drill out the broken screws, and tap it. I ended up just get a reman at Autozone. I was even going to replace the plunger this time too. Maybe soak in some PB Blaster? My starter housing was pretty rusty though, being in Michigan.
Good tip. My starter looks pretty good but I live in Florida so there's always corrosion hiding, waiting to surprise us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote: I live in Florida so there's always corrosion hiding, waiting to surprise us.

That's strange, when I see Florida vans driving here in CT they never have any rust.

P.S. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote: I live in Florida so there's always corrosion hiding, waiting to surprise us.

That's strange, when I see Florida vans driving here in CT they never have any rust.

P.S. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
My van is a 1996 and has spent its time out doors. It doesn't show any rust on the outside but inspect the undercarriage and crack a bolt or screw loose and there's a good chance you'll find rust and corrosion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well you should be proud! Your 24 year old Caravan was Motor Trend 1996 Car of the Year!
Here's something to watch while you get better:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well you should be proud! Your 24 year old Caravan was Motor Trend 1996 Car of the Year!
Here's something to watch while you get better:
That was Good!
This van has surprised me - I've beat this 2.4 to death and pushed the suspension hard like that slalom test and wondered if I was going to break something but she just keeps going and going, with little maintenance! I also love the grill and overall shape. My van is a total beater - wish I could find one in minty condition.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please post a pic of the old girl!
OK, put on your sunglasses lest she burns your eyes!
I've got 16" wheels on her and spring helpers in the back.
The transmission was upgraded by the former owner with a trans cooler and in-line fluid filter, as well as an extended trans fluid pan.
The only thing I've done to the engine was install a freer flowing catalytic converter.
I put a K&N cone style air filter on her but she likes the stock airbox better.
All I do now is keep the engine clean and keep the oil changed.
I've also flushed the brake and power steering fluids..

I hate to be seen driving the thing in its present condition, but as a Driver she's comfortable, with great visibility, decent gas mileage and can get out of her own way - as long as she's not loaded or pulling a trailer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts